Ugggh. Smashed into my house. Broke props. Landed on concrete. Advice?

Reaction score
I should have NEVER been flying yesterday. It was too windy out. Anyways.... I was between mine and my neighbors house. It was very windy out. I was coming towards myself, so I got the stick direction mixed up and smacked into my house about 15 feet up. The props on the right side broke and she fell so hard on the concrete driveway that the battery popped out and went under my wife's car.

Total known damage report: Just 2 props (but I replaced all 4 to be safe) and a couple of small small cracks in the shell, which I superglued with Loctite brand Super Glue Professional.

After putting the new props on, another battery in, cleaning the scuffs up and allowing the super glue to 100% dry.... it seems to be fine. I hovered it 2 feet off the floor in my computer room for a minute and it seemed OK. It is STILL too windy to go outside.

Here is/are my question(s):

I'm going to re- calibrate the compass for my next outdoor flight...... should I mess with the IMU calibration as well? Do these things kind of get "knocked silly" when you have a crash? I've never messed with it, so I'm not sure. Or is this a "If it ain't broke.... don't fix it situation?"

should I mess with the IMU calibration as well? Do these things kind of get "knocked silly" when you have a crash?
The IMU might need to be calibrated after a hard hit. Here's a how-to if you'd like to do it:

Calibration done. I found a brand new piece of 12" x 12" ceramic tile in my garage. I put in on the bench and perfectly leveled it. Everything went well.

You lucked out.
Smacks like that tend to damage the gimbal. I've usually encountered the seam between the two shell halves buckle on account of the little fingers keeping them in line.

You lucked out.
Smacks like that tend to damage the gimbal. I've usually encountered the seam between the two shell halves buckle on account of the little fingers keeping them in line.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think this is what saved my butt...

4175PzpWiAL._SY300_.jpg

Half a dozen of your points really hit home... knowing when you shouldn't have flown but flying anyway... losing orientation when flying toward yourself... done it all. I've just been lucky so I'll try to learn from you, I'm glad it wasn't worse for you.

Nice to hear everything seems good... I'd have been of the opinion that the craft will tell you when it's wants calibration. If it doesn't tell me I figure it knows better than me, but I don't know that it hurts to do it.

This is your NewEgg P3?

Half a dozen of your points really hit home... knowing when you shouldn't have flown but flying anyway... losing orientation when flying toward yourself... done it all. I've just been lucky so I'll try to learn from you, I'm glad it wasn't worse for you.

Nice to hear everything seems good... I'd have been of the opinion that the craft will tell you when it's wants calibration. If it doesn't tell me I figure it knows better than me, but I don't know that it hurts to do it.

This is your NewEgg P3?

Thanks. I'm so glad it wasn't worse either. When it fell behind the car, I was expecting to find it smashed to bits.

And I will for sure listen to UAV forecast from now on. I got too comfortable with flying this thing.... in other words "cocky".

Yes. The Newegg P3.

Forecast is looking good for tomorrow. 58F and partly cloudy with 10 mph wind.

Why do you think it saved your bird? Was it zip tied on ? Did it pop out?
I had one but could see no advantage and it broke and flew out with a moderate hit so never replaced it. Maybe I should? Thanks

Why do you think it saved your bird? Was it zip tied on ? Did it pop out?
I had one but could see no advantage and it broke and flew out with a moderate hit so never replaced it. Maybe I should? Thanks

It was zip tied AND it still popped out. I had the little 4" zip ties on it, just in the middle.

I'm just saying that even after that hit and fall... the camera doesn't have a nick on it. I mean.... maybe it's just dumb luck? Maybe the gimbal guard did do something? But I for sure feel better with it on there. It only weighs a few grams and it never gets in the way of the camera, so it can stay.

It's funny... I've taken flight in my living room following the tutorial guidelines of making sure the craft is facing away from me. It easy... it wanders a little but I do get enough of a lock to stay in GPS mode. I'm not even sure that helps, but as long as I have the perspective as though I'm "driving", with the drone facing away from me, I'm able to hover and maintain control almost endlessly. I've held a hover for 10 minutes.

BUT, as soon as I turn, and especially 180 so that it's facing me, I go into complete brain fart mode and lose perspective, and I always thought it was just me... I feel awful you suffered a crash but it's reassuring to know that I'm not alone with the reverse perspective loss.

Reactions: k9time and Matts175
Yeah. I used to have to fly my Syma X5SC "Pacman Style" meaning that the colored props HAD to be in the front at all times or I would get messed up.

I guess this is no different because I had to dye my front props black and put some black prop guard mounts on the front.

Reactions: jwmcgrath
Is that the carbon fiber one or plastic? Think after reading this will pick another up.. Thanks

I think if you fly in home lock it will fly relative to the controller so left is always left whether the front of the craft is pointed towards you or away from you.

I should have NEVER been flying yesterday. It was too windy out. Anyways.... I was between mine and my neighbors house. It was very windy out. I was coming towards myself, so I got the stick direction mixed up and smacked into my house about 15 feet up. The props on the right side broke and she fell so hard on the concrete driveway that the battery popped out and went under my wife's car.

Total known damage report: Just 2 props (but I replaced all 4 to be safe) and a couple of small small cracks in the shell, which I superglued with Loctite brand Super Glue Professional.

After putting the new props on, another battery in, cleaning the scuffs up and allowing the super glue to 100% dry.... it seems to be fine. I hovered it 2 feet off the floor in my computer room for a minute and it seemed OK. It is STILL too windy to go outside.

Here is/are my question(s):

I'm going to re- calibrate the compass for my next outdoor flight...... should I mess with the IMU calibration as well? Do these things kind of get "knocked silly" when you have a crash? I've never messed with it, so I'm not sure. Or is this a "If it ain't broke.... don't fix it situation?"
Yip that's sux done that with (Explorer xiro drone ) first flight bad twitch problem ,,,straight into house ,,bad damage,,now a ornament on Wall...:):)ps don't buy one ..cheap s###t.. no it was entirely cheap cost $$800,,stick to phantoms,,(hill street blues) take care out there

Yeah. I used to have to fly my Syma X5SC "Pacman Style" meaning that the colored props HAD to be in the front at all times or I would get messed up.

I guess this is no different because I had to dye my front props black and put some black prop guard mounts on the front.

I know what you mean...

I want this thing for flying over water this summer but I want the red one for that reason... and they don't even know if or when they will be getting the red back in stock.
e120513c91478f001fecb09c7b2b9782.jpg

Ouch. You are one lucky guy, it's not only your bird survived it's also you didn't smack in your wifes' car! I can see the headlines now ..Man injured by a drone when his wife nailed him with it.. I understand how easy it is to get disorientated, I had a few close calls with my P4 and many many hits with my syma, the little bugger still flys, they should include a tube of glue with that bird.

Reactions: Matts175
I had a similar 'got too cocky' moment a few weeks ago. I ignored my low battery alarm and was trying for just a couple more pics because the bird was fairly close to me. It went into failsafe landing in a very rocky area. The gimbal guard saved the camera for sure. It did break a prop but that was it. I learned a valuable lesson and won't do it again.

Reactions: Matts175

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik