Reaction score
Hey I'm Joey Shanks and I am new to the forum.

Just got a DJI Phantom 3 standard, and I am fairly new to flying drones.

I create visual effects for my PBS web series "Shanks FX" and my next episode deals with creating UFO visuals with my new drone.

Drone_1.jpg

A couple gifs -->
UFO_Drone_1.gif

UFO_Drone_2.gif

Here is link to check out more images and get a better idea of what I am doing.
Dropbox - UFO_Drone_episode

TOPIC #1 ---------

I need to fly low and close to windows to get believable footage. There is now way around it.

ATTI mode best for this ???

Would it be best to take the camera and gimbal off?
(I know its a pain to put back on, but seems like a good idea consider the danger I'm putting drone in. Will also make my bird lighter and increase it's payload for adding lighting to it)

How much control do you lose with prop protectors?
(I purchased inexpensive ones on Amazon, they are a little bulky, but can be taken off quickly. It seems
like I don't have that fine control with them on)

What's the best way to make my drone all black ?
(Can I download a drone skin template and print it out or something like that ?)

I have mounting capabilities from all sides except for the top, do i need to re-calibrate my bird with each new lighting setup?

Some images of my setup so far...

Drone_8.jpg Drone_9.jpg image1.JPG

(I haven't had any problems arise with navigation and GPS, fearing I may have blocked the antennas)

Is it bad to make adjustments to my lighting rig while bird is hovering?
(nothing too crazy but would be nice to fine tune while its hovering)

Max payload ?
(I read some previous posts about this, and some say its around 3 pounds, but that seems like way too much
from the tests I've done. I'm trying to keep my additional payload to 1 pound, maybe 1.5 pounds. That's why losing camera and gimbal could give me some more wiggle room.)

Could type more but that's all I will do for now.

And if you want to contact me directly, [email protected]
or thru my website at http://MovieMagicnow.com

I look forward to hearing what you guys think!!!!

Attachments

• UFO_Drone_1.gif
    UFO_Drone_1.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 597
  • UFO_Drone_2.gif
    UFO_Drone_2.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 537
  • UFO_Drone_4.gif
    UFO_Drone_4.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 519
  • Drone_1.jpg
    Drone_1.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 425
this is more fun
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My rocketry club is having their annual two-day event next weekend that includes a night launch on Saturday. Figured I would bring my drone to a rocket party...

Did a test flight last night of my Phantom 3 modified with addressable LED strips.

It flew great with the additional 203 grams of weight. After this flight the wiring and installation was cleaned up reducing that by 41 grams.

very nice can you change them with a remote

yeah I set mine on that a lot or strobing white

Some people have probably seen this one a few times already, but I can't resist posting it each time the UFO topic comes up:

that's awesome haven't seen that one before

That is done with the same type of addressable LED strip that I used, but they are controlling with something like an Arduino UNO to create the patterns.

Each LED on the strip can be controlled individually for unlimited possibilities. My employer uses them stacked in rows to create a sign displaying basic messages.

On the Phantom, I am just using a cheap preprogrammed Chinese controller off eBay which has lots of pre-set patterns, but they all are in a "horserace" configuration running in one direction down the strip to keep it a universal device. I need to make the time to play with the UNO myself!

Did I guess correctly about you using an UNO or similar device to program the LED patterns?
If he don't get back to you he made a post or 2 about how he did it . Try a search with his name .

I used a Teensy which is Arduino compatible but smaller and more powerful. It listens to the CAN bus to figure out what the Phantom is doing and then sets the light patterns accordingly.

Hey I'm Joey Shanks and I am new to the forum.

Just got a DJI Phantom 3 standard, and I am fairly new to flying drones.

I create visual effects for my PBS web series "Shanks FX" and my next episode deals with creating UFO visuals with my new drone.

View attachment 48433

A couple gifs -->
View attachment 48425
View attachment 48426

Here is link to check out more images and get a better idea of what I am doing.
Dropbox - UFO_Drone_episode

TOPIC #1 ---------

I need to fly low and close to windows to get believable footage. There is now way around it.

ATTI mode best for this ???

Would it be best to take the camera and gimbal off?
(I know its a pain to put back on, but seems like a good idea consider the danger I'm putting drone in. Will also make my bird lighter and increase it's payload for adding lighting to it)

How much control do you lose with prop protectors?
(I purchased inexpensive ones on Amazon, they are a little bulky, but can be taken off quickly. It seems
like I don't have that fine control with them on)

What's the best way to make my drone all black ?
(Can I download a drone skin template and print it out or something like that ?)

I have mounting capabilities from all sides except for the top, do i need to re-calibrate my bird with each new lighting setup?

Some images of my setup so far...

View attachment 48428 View attachment 48429 View attachment 48431

(I haven't had any problems arise with navigation and GPS, fearing I may have blocked the antennas)

Is it bad to make adjustments to my lighting rig while bird is hovering?
(nothing too crazy but would be nice to fine tune while its hovering)

Max payload ?
(I read some previous posts about this, and some say its around 3 pounds, but that seems like way too much
from the tests I've done. I'm trying to keep my additional payload to 1 pound, maybe 1.5 pounds. That's why losing camera and gimbal could give me some more wiggle room.)

Could type more but that's all I will do for now.

And if you want to contact me directly, [email protected]
or thru my website at http://MovieMagicnow.com

I look forward to hearing what you guys think!!!!
Check out www.neroguard.com for their black phantom plastic conversions. I did mine and am in love:)

1. I hope you have a commercial license for flying a UAS.
2. plastic dip black spray - cover the motors and vent holes with painters tape.
3. Dont take the camera off, take the lens cover off (to save weight) and use a small LED array or single, high powered, cree diode and mount to front of camera - that way the light is gimbal stabilized, POI, follow me, program light direction is also available then - use lightweight wire to power LED.
4. GPS mode is best, else you will drift in the wind. The VPS doesnt work well at night (or at all, dont know which one)
5. if youre worried about flight time/weight - do the dual battery mod.
6. if you are truly in movie special effects - I would think you would know this or would have figure this out by now, as special effects guys are the most ingenious and problem solving folks Ive met.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31