UCLA football using Phantom

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
phantomhelp.com
That's a good video by DJI. It's compelling and a great example of how the FAA's rules will stifle creativity and innovation. If they wanted to do this legally now, forget it. If they wanted to do it legally when the rules finally come into effect, they'll have to hire a certified pilot.

Technically, its amateur sports, played for recreation, refreshment and enjoyment. Anything that enhances that enjoyment, like having a staff member filming, does not make it commercial or professional. I assume that is the point. Is it commercial application, or part of amateur sports with no financial benefit? Let's not start a college athletics discussion, as I agree it is mostly a commercial endeavor, but technically, its amateur sports played solely for recreation.

If the participants are aware of the flight, and agree to it, UCLA could argue that it is a recreational flight only within the rules for model aircraft. If they are paying a professional photographer to film, all bets are off unless they are using one of the licensed commercial operators the FAA approved.

I doubt UCLA football could ever be categorized as a recreational organization. All parties involved are being paid (even the players via free schooling) and it generates a ton of revenue.

But football at a Pac-12 school definitely does. As a Trojan, I feel compelled to contact the FAA :twisted:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.