UBER NEWBIE CUST SERVICE CONCERN

Reaction score
Hi! I have been researching quad platform cameras for some weeks and have decided that the Phantom Vision is definitely what I want. As I was getting ready to pull the trigger on placing my order and taking advantage of the December free extra battery offer, I decided to call the DJI customer service line to ask a couple of questions. This is where a red flag came up for me. I called several days ago and when the phone was answered, the greeting was simply "Hello", with no reference to it being a business line for DJI. It caught me off guard, so I had to ask if I had reached DJI. He said I had, but I dunno, I expected a more "professional" experience. Later, I called back and got no answer and it went to a generic voicemail, not mentioning anything about DJI and prompted me to leave a message referencing a different number than I had called. I waited and called back later and some one did answer with the "Hello" bit again, not identifying who or what I had reached. When I asked if I had reached DJI, he affirmed that I had. To matters worse, both times I reached someone, these guys had such a heavy middle eastern accent that I could not really understand what they were saying.

I very much want to order my own P2V, but at my age I am wary of what, so far, has been a less than impressive customer experience. With shelling out this kind of money, I guess I was expecting a little different first impression. Can anyone shed any light on this and maybe make me feel a little more confident in DJI?
Knighthawk

I would suggest using a dji main supplier as opposed to direct but mention the free battery offer. Not sure where in the world you are but if in US then B&H or if in UK try each of the 4 or 5 main dealers in turn and see who gives you most confidence or who is closest to where you live.
I think the number you are calling is dji in Germany not that's any excuse of course.

The lack of good customer service has been the death of many companies. Hopefully DJI reads these forums and will get their act together. Lucky for them they seem to have a very good dealer base.

They aren't very good at answering email messages either, so I'm not at all surprised.
They appear to push their customer support responsibilities off on their dealers, and that ain't a very good way to handle this very important business service IMHO.
Are you listening DJI?

Being a Chinese company it's probably no bad thing to make dealers the first port of call for customer service. Given timezone and language issues and what could be very technical support issues it's probably better to talk to a quality local dealer. Make sure they are a tier-one DJI dealer and preferably go with recommendations - not all DJI dealers are the same. If you let us know where you live you'll get some recommendations for good dealers local to you from users here.

They may well be a Chinese Owned Company, but they aren't totally operated by the Chinese in China. They have a North America Headquarters in Austin TX.
Less than 200 miles from where I live.
This is where all of those Colin Guinn Videos are made.
Sure looks like they could at least give some USA customer support from here!

Tour the Austin Headquarters…
http://www.bestquadcopter.com/dji-innov ... ters-tour/

Thanks, guys! You have definitely steered me in the right direction. I looked at a few of the North American authorized dealer sites and called the one in Atlanta. (I live in Virginia) I reached a nice young man who seemed to be very knowledgeable about the P2V. I asked him about the battery special and he said that they could let me have the 2nd flight battery for $117.00. But in looking at B&H and Dronefly, it would appear that they are offering the free battery. So, I'm thinking about going with one of them. I would, however love to hear if any of you guys had any preferred recommendations about who to buy from.

Thanks for the great input! I already feel better about dusting off the credit card!

Also enjoyed the tour video in the Austin HQ!

PAValentine said:
They may well be a Chinese Owned Company, but they aren't totally operated by the Chinese in China. They have a North America Headquarters in Austin TX.
Less than 200 miles from where I live.
This is where all of those Colin Guinn Videos are made.
Sure looks like they could at least give some USA customer support from here!

Tour the Austin Headquarters…
http://www.bestquadcopter.com/dji-innov ... ters-tour/

I know, but I get the feeling they are the marketing arm and a dealer support hub, not geared up for customer service. I know my tier-one dealer in the UK has a DJI dealer rep he can get hold of when required in China. When I was trouble-shooting my 0.0.0.0 firmware on my receiver issue the technical responses came through my dealer direct from Shenzhen...

I'd go with B&H who has a strong reputation for customer support. Unlike some R/C dealers who might be able to help you troubleshoot over the phone, B&H will simply replace the product or accessory. Right now dealers don't appear to be of much help with the PV but in their defense I don't think it's their fault, its just that they don't seem to be getting much help from DJI. You'll find more sincere & timely support in these forums than you will from DJI or its dealers.

iDrone

I am retired now, but I spent a number of years of my working life as a retail store manager. If I had to provide manufacturer type support for all of the products that I carried in my store, I wouldn't not have time to make sales.
A product manufacturer has responsibility to provide direct support for the product s they manufacture. Only the manufacturer has the knowledge to provide intelligent support for what they created.
I am a photography hobbyist. I bought my PV from B&H. I have bought thousands of dollars worth of photo equipment from them over the years. B&H is a dedicated Photography Dealer. They have been in the photography business for 40 years. I suspect they wouldn't be carrying DJI equipment were it not for its relationship to photography.
If I would have a direct photography related issue with the camera, I would expect them to be of some help. If there is a problem with the intricacies of the aircraft, I would not expect them to be of much help because flying copters in not their field of expertise. The manufacturer of the copter, not a photography dealer, should provide that type of help.

Paul

I emailed the webmaster about a link error an it got a reply confirming it had been fixed. That part is working.

You'll find more sincere & timely support in these forums than you will from DJI or its dealers.

I do believe you are right! This is a great forum!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr