UAV pilots to help themselves

Wow now this is quite funny to me to see these comments by the UAV policeman!! Certainly this person is quick to be critical of anyone flying outside what he believes are safe flying practices but he suggests giving the same device to a child is acceptable!! Wow now I have seen it all

Your r/c aviation experience is quite limited it would appear thus your rapid judgement of me.
(I can make judgements too!)

Visit your local flying club airstrip and see the number of 'children' operating fixed-wing r/c aircraft which take skill, dedication and discipline to learn how to fly.

There's no hovering, GPS, RTH, and all the other fancy add-ons that allow 90% of the toy camera operators to keep it airborne.

This is why there are so many incidents of unprepared operators getting themselves into trouble and in some cases the news.... no experience, understanding of the dangers, or respect for others' safety to name three.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I wish you wouldn't call it a toy. It is far more than that! Would you give this to a small child?
I think (hope) this was tongue in cheek.

I did let my 16 year cousin brother fly my P3, his a proper geek, it was in an open field so thought why not teach him how to fly it, only gave it to him as I felt confident in him more than my 19 year old cousin brother.

P.S he was just doing laps around the field and getting the hang of the P3's controls

Sorry if I burst your bubble but it is a toy.

Yes I would give it to a small child. Size or age is not as critical as skill, dexterity, and level of instruction.

My child of 12 is quite proficient at operating his P2NV.
Letting a 12 yr old "play" with something does not prove its a toy. My 3 yr old granddaughter could operate an iPad - does that make it a toy?

Adults using a high tech piece of equipment like the Phantom as a toy just makes them big kids and that's not meant as an insult to anyone. My Phantom is a flying tripod for my photography. My normal tripod is not a toy, neither is my phantom.

Reactions: JamesD
I did let my 16 year cousin brother fly my P3, his a proper geek, it was in an open field so thought why not teach him how to fly it, only gave it to him as I felt confident in him more than my 19 year old cousin brother.

P.S he was just doing laps around the field and getting the hang of the P3's controls
I see no issue with that whatsoever but then again I see little wrong with most of what I see people doing. I just purchased a AR 2.0 for my 10 year old nephew.

I see no issue with that whatsoever but then again I see little wrong with most of what I see people doing. I just purchased a AR 2.0 for my 10 year old nephew.

I did however tell my bro that he can fly my P3 when he is with me but said I will not allow for him to buy one until he is 18 and have also advised his parents not to if he asks.

I said to him even them £10-£20 rc helicopters are dangerous if not been operated safely.

You use toys in many ways and for purposes not intended.

I've used my toy boats to carry fishing lines much farther off shore than I could cast.

Doesn't make it less of a toy or me a professional fisherman.

Reactions: GoodnNuff

I've used my toy boats to carry fishing lines much farther off shore than I could cast.

I take no issue with referring to it as a toy and I certainly like playing with it a lot. That being said its a powerful toy.

True - but who categories something as a toy? The manufacturer or consumer? Your toy boats were sold as toy boats. The phantom has never been classified as a toy. Your personal opinion is that it is a toy because it is too easy to fly and that others less competent than yourself can fly them.

I wonder if you still double declutch your car, or insist in no engine management system? Are you still using a box brownie, or a DSLR?

Anyone who can afford to use a £1200 quadcopter as a disposable toy has money to waste.

Toy definition: (as per Oxford Dictionaries)

"An object for a child to play with, typically a model or miniature replica of something: "a toy car"

.. The P3 is not something for a child to play with nor miniature replica of something.

So by definition & in my opinion also - you are incorrect.

Anyway.. I'd love to stay "on topic"

Letting a 12 yr old "play" with something does not prove its a toy. My 3 yr old granddaughter could operate an iPad - does that make it a toy?

Adults using a high tech piece of equipment like the Phantom as a toy just makes them big kids and that's not meant as an insult to anyone. My Phantom is a flying tripod for my photography. My normal tripod is not a toy, neither is my phantom.

Last "Off Topic" post from me (on this thread anyway)...

For some of us, our Phantom's are indeed toys. It is my miniature replica of a helicopter. It allows me to see things from above. For others, like Man.Of.Kent, it is a business (or perhaps hobby) asset and not a toy at all.

It seems pretty cut-and-dry to me. I'm a big kid and love being one.

Jimmy

'surviallnce' in a public place.
lol now thats hilarious. maybe them people should go back inside and huddle in the back of the closets and do what ever it is they are so worried some one might see.

may We can find a way to tell them not to worry because these drones cant see what ever it is they are so fearful of some one knowing such as what freaking drugs they are doing that fried there brain to the point they cant go out side in public with out being paranoid some ones going to know they are meth heads. Or that it cant see that they are perverts who must always be spying on people if they assume and self project that its what every other person does. lol lol Like that guy in Kentucky who shot a guys drone down recently thinking it was trying to look at his daughter in her bikini which Im sure made the redneck meth head dad jealous by the mear thought some one else wanted to check out his daughter. Or maybe he was worried any time they had sex in the back yard that some one else might of been able to see him bonking his daughter. Instead of doing it in side were no one could see. :)

I don't meet any of your criterion above, and I imagine the overwhelming majority of those concerned don't either, but as a toy drone enthusiast I don't want them over my house, family, or property due to the propensity of malfunction in-flight.

Last edited:
Reactions: snerd
In addition the sign should contain this, or a similar, disclaimer:
"This toy I'm flying is subject to malfunction without redundancy so be prepared at all times for an incident in which I may lose control of this toy and cannot guarantee your safety, your childs safety, or your property from damge".
I get what you mean....but will a grumpy numpty want to hear he not only objects to your activity ...but may even be injured by it? I would prefer, .." for your own safety, please stand well away to enjoy a better view!"

It's a bit tongue-in-cheek and hyperbolic but it conveys the truth.

I don't need one so to each his/her own.

Sorry if I burst your bubble but it is a toy.

Yes I would give it to a small child. Size or age is not as critical as skill, dexterity, and level of instruction.

My child of 12 is quite proficient at operating his P2NV.
A good aspect of promoting our hobby as flying toys...is it disarms the doom merchants who seem to think they are being spied on and filmed or that the "toy 'copter will carry a 50kg missile tucked under a wing.

Some folks make money with these, I get it, but in the 'Pantheon' of flying platforms, it's just a toy and the quality, durability, and reliability of it speaks for itself. Professional aerial companies may include one of these for certain jobs or as back-ups or disposable systems but it is not a primary tool.

I don't meet any of you criterion above, and I imagine the overwhelming majority of those concerned don't either, but as a toy drone enthusiast I don't want them over my house, family, or property due to the propensity of malfunction in-flight.
I am so glad I am not living in the USA!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31