UAV Locator

Reaction score
After reading about flyways, compas calibrations, system failures and whatever else could go wrong, I have decided to add a tracker to my P2+V3. I have been looking at http://www.drone-mods.com/Drone-Mods-UAV-Locator-DM005.htm Anyone have expirerence with this unit or should I be looking at another option? Any help would be appreciated.

Nice list of Accessories. I was wondering if one tracker was prefered over another? Has anyone had any problems and if so what should I stay away from? Should I just be aware of where my aircraft is and not worry about the tracker? Just looking for feedback.

Before you go rushing out to buy a locator, ask yourself is this device only for a flyaway event or can you use it for navigation?

I bought the Flytrex Live 2G device because that device will not only give you GPS coordinates at any time but also continuously in real time. This is an indispensable tool when flying long distance (beyond 2,500 feet). As long as I'm in a good 2G coverage area, I can see the flight path of my Vision+ in real time on Google Maps satellite view. I'm upgrading to the 3G version soon because 2G is being phased out in the U.S. by the end of 2015.

However, if you just want to have a safety net to locate a lost bird because of a flyaway, then the Drone Mods locator should work fine. I've seen YouTube vids of it in action and seems to work as advertised. Not sure if it has it's own battery, but that would be a nice feature since relying on the Phantom's battery means you got limited time to use the locator feature after the bird flies away.

I have a drone mod tracker. Weighs about 52 grams and it does have its own battery that is claimed to last about 12 days. I like mine

Thanks for the info guys. Thats what I was looking for. I think for now I am just looking for the safety net due to the fact there are alot of posts about unscheduled flyaways, battery problems, mechanical problems or anything else. I do like the Flytrex Live, however, im not sure I want to open it up and tackle the soldering of the power cables. The drone mod tracker might be a good place to start with unless someone has a better solution.

Monte55 said:
I have a drone mod tracker. Weighs about 52 grams and it does have its own battery that is claimed to last about 12 days.

That is one thing I like about "call-and-respond" GPS trackers.

I could use a seperate battery for my Flytrex Live but it just adds weight so I'm reluctant to do it. Besides, the "Last Known GPS Location" feature works nice and has helped me locate my lost bird a couple times already.

The Drone-Mods tracker attaches to the Phantom via velchro. That means you can easily detach it from your Phantom, attach it to your teenager's car and track where s/he goes. Invasion of privacy starts early.

TimmyG94 said:
Monte55 said:
I have a drone mod tracker. Weighs about 52 grams and it does have its own battery that is claimed to last about 12 days.

That is one thing I like about "call-and-respond" GPS trackers.

I could use a seperate battery for my Flytrex Live but it just adds weight so I'm reluctant to do it. Besides, the "Last Known GPS Location" feature works nice and has helped me locate my lost bird a couple times already.

When using Flytrex Live there is no real need to use an external battery. When using Flytrex Live your flight telemetry data is securely stored to your Flytrex profile, and is available to you at any given time, even if the battery of the aircraft is long dead.

In fact, if crashing to water for example, Flytrex Live is the only system that will still provide you with precise indication on the last location you hit the water. The system sends a beacon including your aircraft location and status between 2 to 4 times a second, so you can always see the last known location.

In addition to last known location we recently added additional details to the Last Seen tool, including information such as last-known battery voltage, speed, altitude etc., so you can tell whether you should be looking for your bird on a tree top or similar.

Using the aircraft battery allowed us to design the most light-weight tracking solution, yet combined with the online service offer the most robust tracking solution. I hope this gives a bit more details how the Flytrex system works. :)

Just ordered the new Flytrex for my PV2+. Question, Where do you pick up power from? Researched several places and get two answers. From the main power off of the system board or from one of the ESC boards. Any advice on where I should tap in? Also, is anyone having problems opening the iOS Flytrex application?

flytrex is a great device, but if you crash and lose power it's not going to be able to send data to you..that's why even if I had a flytrex I would still use an additional tracker like a rf-v16 that's about half the weight of a drone mods tracker.(I'm getting my phantom back)

I understand that the Flytrex pings 2 to 4 times per second during normal operation. I would assume if a crash occurred or a flyaway, you have a decent chance of recovery from last known ping. Also, I chose Flytrex for their logger and live flight features. If I'm paying for a tracker, might as well get all I can from it.

What if the data isn't accurate? ? Also u can get a tracker from 25 to 50 dollars and if you go with atnt you can use the 2 dollar a day plan.. definitely would use a locator 8 with a flytrex ..

Txfirecop said:
Just ordered the new Flytrex for my PV2+. Question, Where do you pick up power from? Researched several places and get two answers. From the main power off of the system board or from one of the ESC boards. Any advice on where I should tap in? Also, is anyone having problems opening the iOS Flytrex application?

I would splice 2 leads (+ and ground) right off the main battery leads soldered to the board. I wouldnt splice onto any of the ESC boards.

There is some kind of anti-corrosion coating that DJI puts on those main solder points on the board so it won't be easy to solder your own splice leads onto it. Unless you're really good with a soldering gun, I would take it to someone who has really good soldering skills to do it for you.

It might even be a good idea to get a mini plug that allows you to quickly unplug the Flytrex Live device if need be. This would be a good idea if you are just flying around short range and dont need the tracking capabilities and therefore you can save some weight, or if you own multiple UAVs and want to install the Flytrex on a particular one for a particular flight.

I can't really help you with the iOS Flytrex app since I use my Windows laptop for the Live Flight channel.

Thanks for the info guys. Haven't seen anything on a new power cable, I will try to locate it. What about this type of connector.. Would this work? Can be removed fairly easy also.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 336
I didn't figure it would and really not enough room. I'm still not seeing the power adaptor wiring harness..find everything else but not what your referencing. I'm just not seeing it

Go to flytrex.com and then look at the top for shop..then press shop then you will see cables. .press cables. .pick the one for your phantom ..they might not have the one for the p2v+ listed ,so call to make sure you get the one you need....install and have fun....

I ordered the one from where you are referencing but it is only a data cable and not power. I am currently on their site and finally found a pretty good installation info. They are saying to solder to the ESC or Main power board. I will call first thing in the morning to see if they have added a cable. I appreciate your time and patience with me. Its that learning curve thing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj