Uav forecast vs real weather

Reaction score
Hello users,

I had strange situation on my last flight. I was checking weather on uav forecast for wind on altitude 70 meters. App shows around 17km/h . Great...

I put battery on, fly a couple of circles and land. Upload log on healthydrones and what do I see? Wind in log shows...54km/h!! I almost had heart attack.

Is that big diffirences are normal? In my opinion there was not so much wind. Can it be sensor problem?

Weather at altitude is never consistent. Wind can be blowing east on ground and west at altitude. Just use good sense despite was a program tells you. If you see the tress blowing hard in the wind on the ground. It's too strong to fly high. If no breeze. Then it will be fine. Programs just give you idea if safe or even close to being safe.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Is that big diffirences are normal? In my opinion there was not so much wind. Can it be sensor problem?
Just because it shows on an app, doesn't mean it's real and accurate.
The app just takes some data input from various sources and applies algorithms to guess what the weather is doing where you are.
The sites where the app data comes from could be 20 miles or more away from where you are and the data might be a few hours old.
It's only an ndication of what the weather might be doing - not an accurate reading of actual weather at your site.
Plus .... HealthyDrones isn't always accurate with their wind calculations.
You can easily get a good idea of wind speed at height by flying full speed into the wind and seeing how much it affects your Phantom.
If you are only making 5 metres/sec when flying into a headwind ... the wind is blowing at 10 m/s.

I check uav weather too. But one of the first things I do after checking the mod settings is take it up higher than any obstacles and turn off GPS to see wind direction and speed. Works for me.

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

Reactions: sonof40
Hello users,

I had strange situation on my last flight. I was checking weather on uav forecast for wind on altitude 70 meters. App shows around 17km/h . Great...

I put battery on, fly a couple of circles and land. Upload log on healthydrones and what do I see? Wind in log shows...54km/h!! I almost had heart attack.

Speaking as a qualified Private Pilot Licence Holder - it is common practice when doing ones pre-flight planning to obtain (depending on where you are flying from-to - and what height/altitude you intend to fly at, and whether you are going to fly under VMC (visual meteorological conditions - or IFR-Instrument Flight Rules ) to get from the local Met Office the wind speeds covering the heights at which you intend to fly. If you do not intend to fly above 5000 feet - you would ask for the 2000 and 5000 foot wind speeds and directions, and on most occasions there would be considerable difference between each flight level planned. "Wind Shear" is another important factor to take into account if you intend to fly in mountainous territory or near buildings.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31