UAV Direct would not honor warranty for opening Phantom

I've posted this before, but my Phantom is at DJI for warranty work and the email they send after you call tells you to remove any non-DJI aircraft accessories or transmitters. I even left my anti-interference board in there.

The full quote makes sense. If I install something within the phantom and break something else, of course it isn't covered. But simply opening the shell? It sounds like they are trying to get out of it by saying you broke the solder point. I don't know how to avoid a "he-said" battle, but I would definitely contact DJI and avoid the other dealer.

msinger said:
I think this is going to be one of those threads that goes off on a wild tangent...

Check out the quotes the OP posted. They are partial quotes from DJI's policy. When you read the entire sentence from DJI' policy, the meaning changes completely.

The only way the warranty can be voided in this case is if the OP damaged something after opening the shell. Either we're missing part of this story or UAV Direct does not understand DJI's policy.

The quote I posted is the entire email message from UAV Direct denying warranty. The quote on DJI's policy is from UAV Direct, not me. I subsequently called UAV Direct and spoke to the rep that sent the email, and he stood firm with the warranty denial. Again, the issue is that the warranty is void because I opened the shell, not because who broke the solder point.

I suspect that UAV Direct is misinformed. But this is discouraging since their website only advertises DJI products and they are one of the official DJI repair facility.

Texphantom said:
The quote on DJI's policy is from UAV Direct, not me. I subsequently called UAV Direct and spoke to the rep that sent the email, and he stood firm with the warranty denial.
Right -- so, did you call them out on it? Tell them to read the entire sentence from DJI's policy. Nowhere does it state simply opening the shell voids the warranty.

msinger said:
Texphantom said:
The quote on DJI's policy is from UAV Direct, not me. I subsequently called UAV Direct and spoke to the rep that sent the email, and he stood firm with the warranty denial.
Right -- so, did you call them out on it? Tell them to read the entire sentence from DJI's policy. Nowhere does it state simply opening the shell voids the warranty.

I sure did, even mentioned the H3D3 folks installing the anti-interference board. The rep told me that V3 is not H3D3, and not meant to be opened.

Maybe try talking to a different rep? If that fails, it seems working with DJI directly is the only thing left to do.

LOL, I had basically the same email from UAV Direct.....I had the wifi issue and I was going to bite the bullet (8 weeks return) and send it back to UAV Direct for warranty repair. Told them I had done the yaw mod and was that an issue for them and warranty...same basic email reply. I sent back an email questioning the two aspects, controller versus the bird as to what was mod'd...they never replied.

I still do business with UAV Direct for parts, but will be less likely to purchase a full system from them anytime soon. Just for the lack of response. I expected more from them. I can imagine how overwhelmed they must be handling DJI warranty claims...

Your case is different by a yard. I would talk to the owner, I'm fairly certain he will "take action" now that he knows. ;) But understand he does know, he sets the rules at UAVD. Good luck!

Phantompilots user Tahoe_Ed (DJI employee, Forum Support) has publicly stated here and elsewhere that opening up the shell on the aircraft to do routine maintenance or to fit DJI parts sold for end-user installation is NOT a warranty buster in and of itself. Any damage you cause while in there obviously is, but opening it up is good practice for preventative maintenance and flight safety. See post at the bottom of this page: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23309&start=40

Pull_Up said:
Phantompilots user Tahoe_Ed (DJI employee, Forum Support) has publicly stated here and elsewhere that opening up the shell on the aircraft to do routine maintenance or to fit DJI parts sold for end-user installation is NOT a warranty buster in and of itself. Any damage you cause while in there obviously is, but opening it up is good practice for preventative maintenance and flight safety. See post at the bottom of this page: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23309&start=40

Then UAV Direct needs to train their folks more about the warranty policy.

It seems UAV Direct needs to have a more realistic understanding of the policy, the hobby, and what makes good business sense.

Otherwise they will find themselves getting squeezed out of the hobby as this info and their practices becomes more widespread.

Texphantom said:
Then UAV Direct needs to train their folks more about the warranty policy.

Or DJI needs to educate their retailers and service centers regarding the warranty policy.

MapMaker53 said:
Why would DJI offer owners information on how to check for the correct ESC boards if one can't open the shell to check? This whole thing just gets more and more bizarre.

that's exactly the information he should provide to the dealer to discredit the dealer's bogus objection.

Or, he can just discredit it by quoting the actual DJI policy -- rather than a section that they chose to take out of context so the odds were in their favor. Sounds like a shady dealer.

Honestly, I've had good experiences with UAV Direct up until and after the warranty dispute. They have some fairly good techs working there. They have stock and it's one day shipping to my local. Wish they sold another brand, but they are an original DJI distributor and warranty repair site. Doubt they'll change that anytime soon, for the good, bad or ugly of DJI.

I think I was upset that I had bought a $1300+ camera and got a toy instead...DJI QC is the root of the problem, not so much the dealer. Buck up and give the man a call or send it to DJI-LA.

OL as far as your situation, since they are being such a pain, why not solder it back yourself? Do you know how to solder?

Don't be ashamed to say no. A lot of people can't solder.

By the end of the mess with GPS losing satellites but before they came out with the V3 mods, DJI employees on their forum were telling people to open the shell and reroute the GPS wire under the shielding. If people who did that had a future (unrelated) problem of some sort would DJI say the owner had violated warranty under the UAV Direct logic? After all, that one time exclusion to opening the bird doesn't appear to have made it into the official service documents. When DJI sells an owner the upgraded ESCs and motors do they say to have the work done by a dealer or else you void your warranty?

PhantomFanatic said:
OL as far as your situation, since they are being such a pain, why not solder it back yourself? Do you know how to solder?

Don't be ashamed to say no. A lot of people can't solder.

In my other posts in other threads, I readily admitted I don't know how to solder yet.

I think I'll try to get a local RC shop to solder it, but then probably that will void my warranty for sure under the UAV Direct logic.

Pull_Up said:

If the username doesn't already give it away, this is Eric from UAVDirect. Though under a different account, I am routinely on the forums including this one... listening to users' concerns and on-the-lookout for discovered issues and fixes. It probably comes as no surprise that I am in love with this industry, both as a pilot and for my role at UAVD. It isn't very often that I post in many of the discussions, but I do want to address this miscommunication on our part that has come up.

First of all, merely opening the exterior shell on any DJI aircraft is not going to void the manufacturer's warranty. Routine maintenance or replacement of parts that are deemed post-manufacturing date items have no effect on warranty so long as damage was not caused in the process.

Thank you for providing me with an opportunity to clarify this, as questions of warranty on such an emergent technology are quite common. I do not know the context of the email that the user here received, but it is evident that there was a misunderstanding. Being Factory-Authorized from DJI to complete repairs and make issuance of warranty protocol means that we see a lot of aircraft come through our facility for maintenance, repairs, and upgrades. That also means that we follow the same guidelines and repair practices that DJI itself does.
I have seen and worked on plenty of aircraft that have been opened-up, painted, modified... etc, and I assure you that warranty is merited on a lot more than what you might take from this topic.

Our team takes a lot of pride in the services we offer and we always welcome your questions and comments, so please feel free to contact us at any time.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4