UAV Direct would not honor warranty for opening Phantom

Reaction score
UAV Direct, the North American authorized repair center, informed me that they would not honor the warranty once the shell is opened. This is what they wrote to me:

"Unfortunately you have voided the warranty by opening the shell.

Please reference this part of the DJI warranty page:

http://www.dji.com/service

"disassembling or shell opening which did not follow the instruction of official manuals.""

Should I email DJI itself and ask for clarification?

Wow. I am shocked by this. Those of us with the p2 and zemuse have a reason to open it when installing the anti-interference board.

What was the reason it was in for work? What had been done to the inside that they noticed?

Reoscorpio said:
Wow. I am shocked by this. Those of us with the p2 and zemuse have a reason to open it when installing the anti-interference board.

What was the reason it was in for work? What had been done to the inside that they noticed?

I have not sent it in yet. I only emailed them about warranty work for a broken solder point. They wrote back that the issue was that I opened the shell, thereby voiding the warranty.

Utopia Texas said:
I do not understand. How do you know there is a broken solder point if you did not open the shell?
Can I assume some of the internals can be viewed though the open battery compartment?

I DID open the shell, that's why the warranty is voided (according to UAV Direct).

Why would DJI offer owners information on how to check for the correct ESC boards if one can't open the shell to check? This whole thing just gets more and more bizarre.

It's ridiculous. Opening the shell should be a part of regular maintenance. Like opening the engine hood on a car...

You also were honest and told them that you did. But if you didn't and instead placed a new pair of stickers, they could not know! I would try to convey that to them in some nice and polite way.

The DJI warranty page states that the warranty will not be honored if:

Damage caused by unauthorized modification, disassembling or shell opening which did not follow the instruction of official manuals.

It does not say anywhere that simply opening the shell voids the warranty.

I guess this serves as a cautionary tale for folks wanting to check their ESC number or try to separate the motor wires on the V3's.

Texphantom, or perhaps a learning experience for UAV Direct. It seems they are misinformed.

msinger said:
Texphantom, or perhaps a learning experience for UAV Direct. It seems they are misinformed.
Or perhaps a learning experience for all of us not to buy from UAV Direct!

syotr said:
msinger said:
Haha... someone is making some sense now.

syotr said:
msinger said:

If UAV Direct is misinformed, perhaps I can email another DJI N. American repair center. However, if this is official DJI policy then a lot of folks are screwed.

If so, DJI is just digging a bigger hole for themselves.

Texphantom said:
if this is official DJI policy then a lot of folks are screwed
Let's not assume. Show us where this official policy is stated on DJI's website. I'm not seeing it.

Reoscorpio said:

+1
They even supply a screw driver and allen key.

Talk to DJI themselves.

I think this is going to be one of those threads that goes off on a wild tangent...

Check out the quotes the OP posted. They are partial quotes from DJI's policy. When you read the entire sentence from DJI' policy, the meaning changes completely.

The only way the warranty can be voided in this case is if the OP damaged something after opening the shell. Either we're missing part of this story or UAV Direct does not understand DJI's policy.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie