UAV Business start up?

Reaction score
Have you guys started/have successful commercial UAV businesses?
How did you find your price point for your services?
How much work are you getting?
How did you choose the industry you are working in? Where you already working in similar industry?

I have worked in the aerospace industry (UAV) for long time but in the manufacturing and testing side of it.
I am looking to be self employed in commercial UAV services and was wondering how people got started.

Reactions: Jrstoll
Have you guys started/have successful commercial UAV businesses? Yes a few years ago.

How did you find your price point for your services? We did local market research and found a "starting point" and then tweaked it from there. Don't ever let someone else set YOUR pricing. You have to do the time to figure out what YOUR expenses are, time required, travel required, and equipment required. Add all that up and try to not pass out LOL.

How much work are you getting? It depends on how much effort I put into it. During peak times of the year we have to turn down work but during winter we have to be creative and "make" work.

How did you choose the industry you are working in? It chose me LOL.

Where you already working in similar industry? Yes...Residential Construction and Design

I have worked in the aerospace industry (UAV) for long time but in the manufacturing and testing side of it.
I am looking to be self employed in commercial UAV services and was wondering how people got started.

Just know you won't get much sleep because to build a solid business from the ground up takes a lot of time, work and $$.

Reactions: zacksomeone
Have you guys started/have successful commercial UAV businesses? Yes a few years ago.

How did you find your price point for your services? We did local market research and found a "starting point" and then tweaked it from there. Don't ever let someone else set YOUR pricing. You have to do the time to figure out what YOUR expenses are, time required, travel required, and equipment required. Add all that up and try to not pass out LOL.

How much work are you getting? It depends on how much effort I put into it. During peak times of the year we have to turn down work but during winter we have to be creative and "make" work.

How did you choose the industry you are working in? It chose me LOL.

Where you already working in similar industry? Yes...Residential Construction and Design

Just know you won't get much sleep because to build a solid business from the ground up takes a lot of time, work and $$.
thanks for the feedback!

Reactions: BigAl07
Since the applications are so many, my intent is to see what my local area is need of. Surveying/mapping, real estate, ag, environmental engineering projects, who knows.
I will then see what the need is and choose a system for the job.
I was also thinking of collaborating with different industry sectors and doing free projects to get a feel for the need.

Reactions: Helihover
I'm holding out for when Amazon or UPS get their drone deliveries "off the ground" (pun, hehehe). I figure by that time, there'll probably be real money involved. Not this $20 per inspection type of work.

Reactions: AyeYo
I'm holding out for when Amazon or UPS get their drone deliveries "off the ground" (pun, hehehe). I figure by that time, there'll probably be real money involved. Not this $20 per inspection type of work.
O geez...i hope there is more pie than that...lol

Since the applications are so many, my intent is to see what my local area is need of. Surveying/mapping, real estate, ag, environmental engineering projects, who knows.
I will then see what the need is and choose a system for the job.
I was also thinking of collaborating with different industry sectors and doing free projects to get a feel for the need.
I'm from the school of thought don't give it away. Once you drop your pants like that you can never recover.

I've been in Sales for decades and the only "product" I ever give away is for a specific charity or Law Enforcement/EMS/Fire/SAR. Everyone else pays to play and they should.

I'm from the school of thought don't give it away. Once you drop your pants like that you can never recover.

I've been in Sales for decades and the only "product" I ever give away is for a specific charity or Law Enforcement/EMS/Fire/SAR. Everyone else pays to play and they should.
hmmmm....interesting. I would love to learn a little bit of sales and marketing

hmmmm....interesting. I would love to learn a little bit of sales and marketing

If you're going to start a "Service" business I'd suggest learning a LOT because you will need to do it all day every day. Your local Community College probably has a Small Business Center and they are a HUGE resource to utilize.

Reactions: MrCarbon
O geez...i hope there is more pie than that...lol
Businesses like Drone Base, etc. typically pay you between $19-$30 for each flight/inspection you perform. Not enough there to get me excited to leave my day job. I've been reading that the expected starting wage for the likes of Amazon or UPS (if/when they get it going) will be somewhere in the $50K-$60K range. Still a loss for me, but more fun than my desk job at the law firm, I'm sure.

In my area it costs $150/hr to rent a Cessna and pilot. That's a data point[emoji848]

Our min is $250 for a "simple" shoot. I don't try and do the "per hour" because on some shots we are only on site about 20min. But when you factor in travel time, processing time, and such you'll see you need to think the whole process though or you've got a hobby that tries to pay for itself.

You must either have a well established business with a large portfolio or a great market. In flooded markets, giving away work is your only foot in the door with some clients. Hell, it's getting to the point that you **** near need to pay clients for them to let you shoot... then someone else comes along and offers to pay them more.

I feel like there isnt much money in real estate. I feel like an aerial shot of a house isnt that valuable to a realtor or to the buyer. I dont think it would make or break the sale. I could be totally wrong.

I feel like there isnt much money in real estate. I feel like an aerial shot of a house isnt that valuable to a realtor or to the buyer. I dont think it would make or break the sale. I could be totally wrong.

It's a novelty for typical development houses. For mountain homes, ranches, anything with large property, good views, out buildings, and just general high-end real estate that can't have the scale captured properly from the ground it's totally worth it. But what I've quickly realized is that it really doesn't matter what I think is worth it or looks good, as long as the client is happy. I'll shoot whatever people are willing to pay me to shoot. I'm not turning anyone down because I think it's stupid to do aerial shots of a home that really only emphasize how packed and cramped the neighborhood is.

It's a novelty for typical development houses. For mountain homes, ranches, anything with large property, good views, out buildings, and just general high-end real estate that can't have the scale captured properly from the ground it's totally worth it. But what I've quickly realized is that it really doesn't matter what I think is worth it or looks good, as long as the client is happy. I'll shoot whatever people are willing to pay me to shoot. I'm not turning anyone down because I think it's stupid to do aerial shots of a home that really only emphasize how packed and cramped the neighborhood is.
lol....true

You must either have a well established business with a large portfolio or a great market.

Maybe a little of both. I've been at this a long time and I was "Doing this" before most people called them "Drones". We have a name and reputation in town (and surrounding areas) and usually get first dibs on the good projects.

Also it helps I live in an area with lots of expensive mountain homes with million dollar views and no other way to capture the images.

Well I'm glad my market thinks differently LOL! :)

My job is to get the shots that you can't get from any other vantage point. This allows me to "tell a story" that captures the viewer's attention and makes them want to come here and see more in person.

We capture the home from every angle and spot but only the "interesting" ones get processed and used. Once we pick the images it's up to my office (my wife LOL) to process them to their potential and create a "need/desire/urgency" for the viewer to get to my area and buy that house LOL.

Reactions: AyeYo
Maybe a little of both. I've been at this a long time and I was "Doing this" before most people called them "Drones". We have a name and reputation in town (and surrounding areas) and usually get first dibs on the good projects.

Also it helps I live in an area with lots of expensive mountain homes with million dollar views and no other way to capture the images.

Well I'm glad my market thinks differently LOL! :)

My job is to get the shots that you can't get from any other vantage point. This allows me to "tell a story" that captures the viewer's attention and makes them want to come here and see more in person.

We capture the home from every angle and spot but only the "interesting" ones get processed and used. Once we pick the images it's up to my office (my wife LOL) to process them to their potential and create a "need/desire/urgency" for the viewer to get to my area and buy that house LOL.
that is pretty cool.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic