UAS registration - AMA's latest reaction to interim ruling

Oso

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I was expecting to see several threads on this, but didn't see one.

About 15 minutes ago, the AMA published their response to the recently published recommendation of the DOT task force.

DOT task force recommendation:
http://www.faa.gov/uas/publications/media/RTFARCFinalReport_11-21-15.pdf

AMA response:
AMA REACTS TO DOT TASK FORCE RECOMMENDATIONS ON UAS REGISTRATION | AMA Media Room

December 14 update:
DOT/FAA interim ruling announced and AMA reacts to the ruling
UAS registration - AMA's latest reaction to interim ruling | DJI Phantom Forum

Last edited:
The AMA is all butthurt, seems their clout was anything but.
Agreed. They do seem to have been brushed aside and disregarded based on both the recommendation itself as well as the AMA response.

As much as it bothers me to provide personal info, to me the recommendations don't sound like a showstopper by any means. I already label my P3 with identifying information anyway.

Agreed. They do seem to have been brushed aside and disregarded based on both the recommendation itself as well as the AMA response.

As much as it bothers me to provide personal info, to me the recommendations don't sound like a showstopper by any means. I already label my P3 with identifying information anyway.

Huh. Seems like the government actually wants to be fair about this so that's a good sign.

I'm a member of the AMA and was looking forward to the possibility but am seeing the bright side of the neutrality of the decision. At least that's how I see it.

Reactions: GoodnNuff and Oso
I was expecting to see several threads on this, but didn't see one.

About 15 minutes ago, the AMA published their response to the recently published recommendation of the DOT task force.

DOT task force recommendation:
http://www.faa.gov/uas/publications/media/RTFARCFinalReport_11-21-15.pdf

AMA response:
AMA REACTS TO DOT TASK FORCE RECOMMENDATIONS ON UAS REGISTRATION | AMA Media Room
Thanks for sharing this. Hopefully the FAA accepts the recommendations as they seem to be minimally impactful to hobbyists.

Reactions: Oso
Of course, the FAA doesn't have to even look at this report, but I imagine they will. If they do implement a system outlined in the report, no one except the total-paranoid-government-is-out-to-get-me types should really be bothered. The 250 gram lower limit is arbitrary but reasonable (they do a lot of funny math and interesting assumptions to get there).

May well be a tempest in a teapot.

Unfortunately , this will not solve the problem of stupid. Stupid will always win.

Announcement today, December 14, 2015.

DOT/FAA Drone marking and registration information:
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Registration

AMA response:
AMA Reacts to DOT UAS Registration Rule | AMA Government Relations Blog

The AMA response is as expected. Today's response from them is almost verbatim how they reacted to the initial recommendation last month. I have mixed feelings about the AMA's stance. Sure adding drones changes the landscape of what has been mostly model planes for decades, but they did make the decision to include drones. It just feels like they regret the decision now. They want AMA members to be exempt from registration, but since registration will now become federal law next week, it doesn't feel right to have splintered processes. AMA members have one set of rules, everyone else has a different set of rules? I don't think that even as a current AMA member that I can get behind that line of thinking.

Last edited:
Simply more laws against citizens of the US. Nothing more. Im sure as with the gun laws. The bad guys, stupid people etc. Will always check the law before they do any wrong.(Sarcasm) For the rest of us. Guilty before proven innocent of wrong doing is the new way of life. Laws always stop the bad people... We need more! Save us all!

Now perhaps the government should "register" all of their weapons/aircraft with us citizens. So it can always be a fair fight if need be. As it should be. After all who is really after our liberty, our Justice for ALL...?

Big companies are coming for our local airspace. Pay attention folks. Wake up! The gap between those that Can and Cannot is increasing by the minute.

A solution? March in the neighborhoods of the Rich. Those with the special Laws. Removed from them by large powerful attorneys. Ever wonder why nobody marches there? Think about it...

stare.gif

Simply more laws against citizens of the US. Nothing more. Im sure as with the gun laws. The bad guys, stupid people etc. Will always check the law before they do any wrong.(Sarcasm) For the rest of us. Guilty before proven innocent of wrong doing is the new way of life. Laws always stop the bad people... We need more! Save us all!

Now perhaps the government should "register" all of their weapons/aircraft with us citizens. So it can always be a fair fight if need be. As it should be. After all who is really after our liberty, our Justice for ALL...?

Big companies are coming for our local airspace. Pay attention folks. Wake up! The gap between those that Can and Cannot is increasing by the minute.

A solution? March in the neighborhoods of the Rich. Those with the special Laws. Removed from them by large powerful attorneys. Ever wonder why nobody marches there? Think about it...
I agree that big companies are coming for model aircraft airspace. Amazon, for instance is lobbying to "push us down" to a maximum of 200 feet AGL, and them taking the range between 200-400.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl