UAS and Search & Rescue

All I can say is in my region (Western North Carolina) they are not accepting any "private" pilots. In order to be part of an active mission we require the NIMS ICS100, ICS200, ICS300, ICS400 and to be a part of our team and participated in at least one training mission. We also require RPC.

Part of the reason for this is because we had so many people wanting to simply show up and fly (a missing person is reported on the news and they state where we have our IC set up) trying to help and they were lost from the get go. When the rubber hits the road we need to all be operating from the same play book as well as understanding the nomenclature being used otherwise we have a lot of wasted resources.

On the State level they are implementing a UAS group that can show up to large events and provide support.

Locally we are working on budget #'s to buy the equipment and set up a county UAS department. When set up we will be working under Part 107 and a Public Safety designations. Once established we will self certify our pilots and be able to have trained pilots from each division (police, fire, EMS etc).

I should have been clearer - private UAS operations are going to require Part 107 RPC, registration with DPS, and insurance. We don't require the ICS course modules for any SAR volunteers except Field Coordinators (Incident Commanders) - those are optional, although encouraged.

I should have been clearer - private UAS operations are going to require Part 107 RPC, registration with DPS, and insurance. We don't require the ICS course modules for any SAR volunteers except Field Coordinators (Incident Commanders) - those are optional, although encouraged.

Sounds reasonable.

Part of our problem here is the topography. We have to be able to hike into the woods many times to get close to the area of interest. We don't have flat land and the terrain is brutal and deadly. 99.99% of the time our private operators show up very unprepared for any back woods type of ventures. Often times in tennis shoes, shorts, and 2 or 3 batteries. We require self sustaining for min 2 hours of flying, min of 12 hrs of provisions, first aide pack, and foul weather gear.

Sounds reasonable.

Part of our problem here is the topography. We have to be able to hike into the woods many times to get close to the area of interest. We don't have flat land and the terrain is brutal and deadly. 99.99% of the time our private operators show up very unprepared for any back woods type of ventures. Often times in tennis shoes, shorts, and 2 or 3 batteries. We require self sustaining for min 2 hours of flying, min of 12 hrs of provisions, first aide pack, and foul weather gear.

The issue of preparedness is ubiquitous in SAR, especially in challenging locations. I've been envisaging initially using UAVs in more accessible areas - at least in terms of launch location - but with steep slopes or cliffs that are hard to search from the ground.

Almost all of our really remote areas are wilderness between 8000 and 14000 ft in elevation, and the status of SAR UAS operations there is undecided at present. Technically we are not supposed to put a helicopter down, or even do a winch extraction, but we do it anyway, since the aircraft are generally State Police or National Guard, and just apologize afterwards. For ground teams we require 24 hour / overnight capability for assignments into those locations.

I've had exactly the same issue that you have seen with non-SAR recreational pilots though. Last year we had a couple of enthusiastic volunteers from Texas hike 1000 ft down into one of the Rio Grande gorges to participate in an extended (unofficial) search for a subject who had been missing for several months. They then discovered that hiking 1000 ft back up, at 6000 ft elevation, was more difficult. In fact impossible, for them. I ended up sending a helicopter in to evacuate them. Expensive adventure.

The issue of preparedness is ubiquitous in SAR, especially in challenging locations. I've been envisaging initially using UAVs in more accessible areas - at least in terms of launch location - but with steep slopes or cliffs that are hard to search from the ground.

Almost all of our really remote areas are wilderness between 8000 and 14000 ft in elevation, and the status of SAR UAS operations there is undecided at present. Technically we are not supposed to put a helicopter down, or even do a winch extraction, but we do it anyway, since the aircraft are generally State Police or National Guard, and just apologize afterwards. For ground teams we require 24 hour / overnight capability for assignments into those locations.

I've had exactly the same issue that you have seen with non-SAR recreational pilots though. Last year we had a couple of enthusiastic volunteers from Texas hike 1000 ft down into one of the Rio Grande gorges to participate in an extended (unofficial) search for a subject who had been missing for several months. They then discovered that hiking 1000 ft back up, at 6000 ft elevation, was more difficult. In fact impossible, for them. I ended up sending a helicopter in to evacuate them. Expensive adventure.

That's EXACTLY what we are trying to avoid. I think it's GREAT and ADMIRABLE that so many want to help but if we end up having to provide support to get them out we've not done anyone any justice and possibly delayed the rescue of others who might be in dire need. It's our obligation to make sure that everyone going into the woods is prepared at least to the MIN standards if not more. If we allow someone to go into the woods without being prepared (equipment and training) then we aren't doing our job.

Reactions: sar104
Because knowing how to read a METAR and being aware of the organizational hierarchy of a three-man drone team would make all the difference in a SAR situation.

I will give you my truck if I ever read the headline: "Missing woman located by drone pilot, subsequently prosecuted for failure to have commercial certification."
So do you still have the truck, since Gene Robenson the father of UAV/SAR got a cease and desist letter from the FAA?

Look into doing the NIMS ICS 100 & 200 courses prior to going to a meeting. It will help GREATLY as you'll have an idea of the structure and "language" they will be using.
You can do many of the ICS courses online or at a local training center.

Interesting conversation... We are part of a new world of opportunity. As consumer UAS increase capabilities exponentially, so does our necessity to fly them responsibility. One of my fears regarding the amazing potential for incident support, is the very really probability that well-wishing pilots cause more harm than good thereby forcing regulators to further restrict when and where they can be used.

It’s not hard to educate ourselves about the Incident Management System, or obtain proper pilot certifications. Going beyond the scare (and real) tactics of personal liability, wouldn’t it be more fun to be a productive member of a team, with clear safety protocols, and communication with Command Staff for larger incidents?

Being an ambulance chaser with a UAS is not really doing first responders any favors. Someone may get lucky, but there is also the very real possibility for confusion, concern, and delay for those involved in an incident; thereby bringing the possibility of injury or worse. There have already been many incidents of “lost” drones crashing into equipment. What do we think would happen if a drone hit a helicopter rotor or was sucked into an engine?

Let’s fly responsibly, so that UAS can be a productive ally in rescue operations, incident response, inspection, etc. etc. These drones are WAY more than pretty pictures and video!!!

Interesting conversation... We are part of a new world of opportunity. As consumer UAS increase capabilities exponentially, so does our necessity to fly them responsibility. One of my fears regarding the amazing potential for incident support, is the very really probability that well-wishing pilots cause more harm than good thereby forcing regulators to further restrict when and where they can be used.

It’s not hard to educate ourselves about the Incident Management System, or obtain proper pilot certifications. Going beyond the scare (and real) tactics of personal liability, wouldn’t it be more fun to be a productive member of a team, with clear safety protocols, and communication with Command Staff for larger incidents?

Being an ambulance chaser with a UAS is not really doing first responders any favors. Someone may get lucky, but there is also the very real possibility for confusion, concern, and delay for those involved in an incident; thereby bringing the possibility of injury or worse. There have already been many incidents of “lost” drones crashing into equipment. What do we think would happen if a drone hit a helicopter rotor or was sucked into an engine?

Let’s fly responsibly, so that UAS can be a productive ally in rescue operations, incident response, inspection, etc. etc. These drones are WAY more than pretty pictures and video!!!

The way it looks like it will go here (NM) is that to participate in a State SAR mission the pilot will have to be Part 107 certified, registered with the State, and agree to work according to a State Police SOP, which includes communications requirements with Incident Command. The insurance situation is yet to be finalized. No requirement to be a member of a specific team - these could be individual resources.

Those seem like reasonable requirements to me, and I'll be comfortable using them in that way.

Reactions: BigAl07
The way it looks like it will go here (NM) is that to participate in a State SAR mission the pilot will have to be Part 107 certified, registered with the State, and agree to work according to a State Police SOP, which includes communications requirements with Incident Command. The insurance situation is yet to be finalized. No requirement to be a member of a specific team - these could be individual resources.

Those seem like reasonable requirements to me, and I'll be comfortable using them in that way.

Seems very reasonable. No requirement for NIMS training at all?

Not at this stage. We do not have that requirement (recommended, not required) for any SAR volunteers unless they are working in incident command, so that is not inconsistent here.

Gotcha. In our region we are required to have ICS100, 200, 300, 400 and if you want to be in any portion of the ICS 700 & 800. I'm wondering if it's because of the "Aviation" aspect in regards to comms etc. I need to inquire and see what our "boots on the ground" SAR members are "required" in terms of NIMS training.

Gotcha. In our region we are required to have ICS100, 200, 300, 400 and if you want to be in any portion of the ICS 700 & 800. I'm wondering if it's because of the "Aviation" aspect in regards to comms etc. I need to inquire and see what our "boots on the ground" SAR members are "required" in terms of NIMS training.

I had the opportunity today to play with the Matrice 210. With dual gimbals and the XT30 and Z30 or X4S, that is the ultimate SAR drone I think. The simultaneous thermal and visible imaging is very impressive. A little pricey in that configuration though.

I had the opportunity today to play with the Matrice 210. With dual gimbals and the XT30 and Z30 or X4S, that is the ultimate SAR drone I think. The simultaneous thermal and visible imaging is very impressive. A little pricey in that configuration though.
That's SWEET! We proposed that for our County "Dream" set-up but they didn't buy into it LOL!

What kind of range did it have? Was it the 210RTK?

Yes running dual cameras is the Cat's Meow for sure. Were the Gimbals "synched"?

We played with an Matrice 600 (sweet system, 42MP images) but it's a bit too big and intricate for hard core SAR.
e98b23cb2daa3584a51d4d0db1677022.jpg

Last edited:
That's SWEET! We proposed that for our County "Dream" set-up but they didn't buy into it LOL!

Yes running dual cameras is the Cat's Meow for sure. Were the Gimbals "synched"?

DJI Enterprise showed up with a couple of 210s and an RTK. No range test - we were looking at resolution for inspection purposes and then some thermal imaging demonstrations including a mock SAR scenario.

DSC02633.jpg
fullsizeoutput_8b9.jpeg

We played with an Matrice 600 (sweet system, 42MP images) but it's a bit too big and intricate for hard core SAR.
e98b23cb2daa3584a51d4d0db1677022.jpg

hr

The gimbals can be run synchronized or independent. Synchronized was very impressive.

I agree that it is probably too pricey for most SAR teams. Maybe a few Fire Departments could justify it. I have a different application in mind for which the cost is, relatively, not an issue.

I looked at the 600 too. Different target audience - that's basically a heavy-lift platform for high-end video.

DJI Enterprise showed up with a couple of 210I's and an RTK. No range test - we were looking at resolution for inspection purposes and then some thermal imaging demonstrations including a mock SAR scenario.

View attachment 80583 View attachment 80584
That's phenomenal!!

I'm really hoping we can get that system as our primary AC for our UAS Division.

The gimbals can be run synchronized or independent. Synchronized was very impressive.

I agree that it is probably too pricey for most SAR teams. Maybe a few Fire Departments could justify it. I have a different application in mind for which the cost is, relatively, not an issue.

I looked at the 600 too. Different target audience - that's basically a heavy-lift platform for high-end video.
Yea the company we were setting the M600 up for have a need for heavy lifting insanely wild cameras and pulling cables to install new power lines. The mere fact it requires (6) batteries ($200ea) for an 18min flight (as set up) it gets kind of crazy in a hurry.

Did yall run dual Tx setup on the M210?

Yea the company we were setting the M600 up for have a need for heavy lifting insanely wild cameras and pulling cables to install new power lines. The mere fact it requires (6) batteries ($200ea) for an 18min flight (as set up) it gets kind of crazy in a hurry.

Do you mean dual control, or dual channel? It was single control, which surprised me - I expected with twin gimbals and FPV that it would be dual control at least, but it doesn't have to be. FPV was ignored, and it was running PIP with the twin gimbals. I have no idea what was operating in terms of downlink frequencies.

One other notable observation (IMO): the Z30 is a beast on a good gimbal. 30x optical plus 6x digital zoom, adequately stabilized even in 30 mph winds.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic