U.S.A. New Here

Reaction score
Just purchased my new Phantom 2 and got my Gimbal with my GoPro on it and plan to start flying tomorrow after church. I am older ( 56 ) retired and do a lot photography. Any new pilot hints would be great.

Thanks

Tommy

U.S.A.

56 is pretty young nowadays :p I know .....

Charge your battery, all switches forward on yr controller, turn it on, wait for 2 series of green lights after your battery is plugged in, push both sticks down and towards each other if you see just a green led flashing.

Then, push left stick full up, wait two seconds, and don't touch anything anymore. See if your Phantom stays in place.

Try the right stick a bit. Trees and other obstacles are not good.

Don't be afraid to land, just go down "firmly" and cut the throttle after touch down.

Go to the DJI website and download all the documents relative to your Phantom.

Take time to read the manual(s).

Consider performing all of the software - firmware updates before taking to the air. This is a flying computer, keep it up to date. Some of the updates may correct bugs or deficiencies. Understand how all the sensors are integrated and understand the basic concept of how this thing flies. Set it on a flat and level, wooden table, without the props, do the updates and run through start up and cycle the motors and watch and listen for vibrations.

After you are comfortable with the operation of the Phantom on a table top, mount the props and head outdoors.

Plug the battery in, turn the Phantom on, set it on a level, or at least flat, piece of ground with no obstructions above (remember the warning about metal and magnetic obstructions), point it in a safe direction away from you and don't touch it until it has warmed up, established home and found all the necessary satellites. Wait for the LED flashes to stabilize before moving it around. Then pick it up and calibrate the compass at the location from where you will be flying. Set it back down and take off.

Yeah, yeah, I know you are in a hurry to fly. If you have the income and wherewithal to risk a $1,000 investment, then just go flying after church. If you wish to enjoy this investment for a long while, take a breath, follow these or similar steps and then go flying.

Once in the air take it easy, practice basic maneuvers. DJI has a booklet "Pilot Training Guide" for basic maneuvers, read it, practice them. The Phantom is easy to fly and perhaps difficult to master and infinitely enjoyable.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31