Two Types of H3-3D Gimbal and Two Types of Phantom 2s?????

Reaction score
I'm taking the plunge. I ordered a GoPro Hero3+ Black .... and the next part of the plan is a Phantom 2 with a pre-installed H3-3D Gimbal. While reading through tons of threads I came across one by DoubleD where I found this

"- Research the installation, wonder why the hell people make holes in their Phantom
- Realize that there is two types of H3-3d gimbals and two types of Phantom 2
- Come to terms with the fact that you have the fragile type of gimbal, and the original P2, which means yes drilling"

So there are "TWO VERSIONS" of Phantom 2 AND "TWO VERSIONS" (one being fragile which doesn't sound desirable to me) of the H3-3D Gimbal????

How does one tell the difference and ensure that they get the correct ones when ordering? Is there a place to order from that will ensure that you get the Pre-drilled Phantom 2 and NON-Fragile H3-3D Gimbal???

Re: Two Types of H3-3D Gimbal and Two Types of Phantom 2s???

AFAIK, there is now a new type of P2, able to receive the H3-3D without modif. if you have a and original P2, you have to modify it because the 3rd axis motor of the gimbal woud touch the case, hence the enlargement of the existing hole. No big deal.
A new support has been released to mount the new H3-3D on the "old" P2 (mine is 2 months old ! :) ) I don't know if you still have to drill.
About the H3-3D, there is only 1 model, it's apparently lighter than the H3-2D. Wether it's one or the other anyway, they are both fragile.

This is what I've understood...
Hope it helps.

There are two versions of the Phantom 2. The difference is the hole at the bottom to accommodate the H3-3D.
As for the H3-3D, there are also two versions. The 2nd version of the H3-3D connects to the Go Pro using the mini USB port on the side rather than plugging in through the back. I think I had read that the change was to accommodate the use of Lightbridge.

Diesel31 said:
There are two versions of the Phantom 2. The difference is the hole at the bottom to accommodate the H3-3D.
As for the H3-3D, there are also two versions. The 2nd version of the H3-3D connects to the Go Pro using the mini USB port on the side rather than plugging in through the back. I think I had read that the change was to accommodate the use of Lightbridge.

That's correct about the 2 versions of the H3-3D, but I cannot see how the 2nd version was to accommodate Lightbridge - it works perfectly well with the original H3-3D.

sar104 said:
Diesel31 said:

That's correct about the 2 versions of the H3-3D, but I cannot see how the 2nd version was to accommodate Lightbridge - it works perfectly well with the original H3-3D.

I'm having a hard time finding details on this one too ... watched some Lightbridge Installs on youtube and can't see where there's a difference ... I'm not sure what the differences ARE or how to tell them apart ... gonna ask doubled ...

Gots2HaveToys said:
sar104 said:
Diesel31 said:

I'm having a hard time finding details on this one too ... watched some Lightbridge Installs on youtube and can't see where there's a difference ... I'm not sure what the differences ARE or how to tell them apart ... gonna ask doubled ...

I understand the difference between the two versions - I just can't see the relevance to Lightbridge. I have Lightbridge with the original H3-3D, which runs HDMI out through a lightweight HDMI cable from the GoPro, but charges the GoPro in the traditional way through the rear panel connector. I don't have to mess around with fragile ribbon cables and extra boards, the GoPro gets power from the P2, and I can access the microSD card. I cannot see any advantage to the 1.1 version.

Totally agree with all you guys. No sure why the running change, just what I read. I'm currently using the original H3-3D, but it's slightly (and I mean ever so slightly) bent which is why I p/u the new version. It's still in the box and I'm contemplating returning it. I wouldn't be surprised if DJI does a 1.1.2 which would basically be the original. :D

Diesel31 said:
Totally agree with all you guys. No sure why the running change, just what I read. I'm currently using the original H3-3D, but it's slightly (and I mean ever so slightly) bent which is why I p/u the new version. It's still in the box and I'm contemplating returning it. I wouldn't be surprised if DJI does a 1.1.2 which would basically be the original. :D

What we need is the original, but with HDMI out through the slip rings.

Gots2HaveToys said:
sar104 said:
Diesel31 said:

There is no 2 versions of the P2 but 1 new P2 model replacing the original with a bigger hole to accomodate the H3-3D. I believe that the H3-2D will be discontinued , which makes sense, as well as the older P2, as well as the first generation of vision, since the vision+ appeared.
About the 2 models of H3-3D it's IMO temporary, I forgot I read that there was some interference in the video that were not appearing through the USB port.

sergekouper said:
There is no 2 versions of the P2 but 1 new P2 model replacing the original with a bigger hole to accomodate the H3-3D. I believe that the H3-2D will be discontinued , which makes sense, as well as the older P2, as well as the first generation of vision, since the vision+ appeared.
About the 2 models of H3-3D it's IMO temporary, I forgot I read that there was some interference in the video that were not appearing through the USB port.

That explanation was also floating around, although I don't see any interference, and I'm not using the anti-interference board. If that were the case then it still looks like a rather half-assed solution to the problem.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj