Two How To Videos of some upgrades to my Phantom

Reaction score
Upgrading the landing gear, to one that I've designed:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvPbyZZbI-M[/youtube]

Lever Kit for the stock transmitter, enabling the 7th channel

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NAJmI-68KI[/youtube]

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing the videos.

I do not know where you see that price, it's more like 30 euros.
Shapeways is not the cheapest way to produce parts, but one has the possibility to make whatever one needs. I needed these parts to be able to get more length beneath my Phantom, and to easily take the landing gear off in the field to transport it compactly. Also It saves about 33% of the stock landing gear weight.

And, leg extensions cost me like $2 dollars.

Shapeways make rapid prototyping possible, your custom designs etc. THey are not an RC vendor with additional parts stocked.

Luckily nobody is forcing you to upgrade your Phantom, but a lot of people asked me where they could buy the parts, so I opened for sale on SHapeways. I do not make any big profit from the parts, and I have to pay for them myself too.

IF ya'll not interested in seeing how I mod my Phantom, it is ok by me. I learn a lot from watching other peoples mods and upgrades, and thought I'd share it here, that''s all.

Yeah, if you're lookin' to save a few bucks, that is an alternative. It's based on my idea, but a lot more work, not as modular or stable, and weighs more. I'm just making parts for my Phantom, aiming to make it as functional, lightweight as possible. You could probably buy some leg extensions at IKEA and save three dollars, but it would't make me strap it to my Phantom.

Two videos of the Foldable Landing Gear kit I made:

Assembly

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiV8pEthaC8[/youtube]

Adding additional gear

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QOFQGa6KOE[/youtube]

Modified Quadframe gimbal, full downward tilt

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6wAVM86gTk[/youtube]

USB mod

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIuE8DR-7Fo[/youtube]

Motor Bearings

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJixomwlVUs[/youtube]

I am so impressed I have ordered one of your wide stance kits which will solve 3 problems in one go, namely allowing me to hook up 2 batteries, giving me more legroom and height for my new brushless gimbal, and also giving me longer legs for landings on rough ground with some vegetation. Having long legs will exert a lot of sideways stress on the leg mounts if landing in windy conditions, or just a plain bad landing. I will use aluminium legs, and will actually cut them in two near the leg mount bracket, using a thin plastic sleeve over the top to rejoin the two pieces into one complete leg again. In this way, a bad landing or crash should only shear off the plastic sleeves instead of damaging your mounts. The plastic sleeving material is a couple of pounds for a meter, so it will be cheap to repair broken legs.

I really like your foldable T shape legs, now if they could be made to retract like the S800 that would be amazing and useful. Keep up the good work. A small bracket that would allow a small compact camera to be mounted instead of a gopro would be great, especially if it allowed for tilting the camera downwards.

I'd like to "second" howardmaryon's suggestion of a bracket for a small camera other than a GoPro. I have a Drift HD170 for video and a couple of small P&S cameras for stills. GoPros are undoubtedly good cameras but I'm disappointed in the lack of alternative mounts.

Thank you for the kind words.

I would recumbent using carbon fibre tubing, as these are quite a bit lighter than alu tubing. i have been experimenting with both for a while now, and find that CF saves a lot of weight. As the Phantom is a very weight sesetive platform, weight is something that I have to seriously take into consideration for all the parts I make for it. I am designing a cross member, using the same 6mm tube that can be attached somewhere on the actual leg extensions, that will help strengthen the landing gear when useing a a BLG (they are heavy for the Phantom, from 180g to roughly 280g). A cross member of this type, will add less than 10g, but further strengthen the set up considerably. Also, I will make single parts of the Landing Gear available, as spares. I would rather breake a cheap, replaceable part.

I am designing a new gimbal frame, to replace my quadframe gimbal as we speak. This I will be able to slide onto the front of the two tubes going lengthwise under the Phantom, mounted to the LG, with a anti vibration mount, and has full downward tilt. I have already modified the QF gimbal for full downward tilt. This also allows me to position the gear (in this case the gimbal) where ever I need to obtain the best possible Center Of Gravity, depending of my current set up.

I've been testing the foldable landing gear for a couple of weeks now, and it works great and is very stable and strong. That said, by adding a couple of hundred grams more weight, like with a BLG, the Phantom will be coming crashing down a lot harder, and everything is more prone to break. People seems more conserned with snapping a cheap plastic part of the landing gear, instead of actually breaking a $500 brushless gimbal. I have not yet tested any BLG for the Phantom, and will make due with my own servo gimbal for a while, as I get satisfying result with it.

Retractable landing gear for the Phantom, is something I have been playing with. I have designed the sjetches for it, but not taken it work any further, as I see no value in it as an upgrade for the Phantom. This functionality would only be needed when using a 3 axis gimbal, which I have yet to see for the Phantom. Also the added mechanics and weight, would make flight times really low, coupled with a 3 axis gimbal, and the whole set up would be more prone to break. I have lowered my Yaw setting, and use that to do 360 panning. That said, I might actually build one, just for the fun of it to test myself.

I've made this system modular, with that in mind - adding different gear to the Phantom. So making a bracket for other types of cameras, is not hard. I strive to make any parts for my Phantom, an upgrade & improvement, both in functionality & weight. I know some people are experimenting with various cameras on the Phantom, but they seem to be on the heavy side, at least for an optimal flight time and flight characteristics.

Thanks again for the feedback, and interest in the work I do to my Phantom.
I have just made two small, easy, upgrades to mine now, that anybody can do (tin foil casing for the GoPro3 to eliminate signal interference, and mounted a gasket to the battery door, to connect battery/balance plug for external gear) - I will make two quick videos when I get the time, and upload to my channel soon.

Cheers,
Simen

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20