Two features it should have: Optical Zoom and 1080p Lightbridge

It's been painfully obvious for years that DJI is following Apple's vision when it comes to it's customer base --- keep dumbing the product down until even a 1st grader or 99 yr. old granny can use it. I find this sad, but they make $$ so that's all they care about. I fully expect DJI to eliminate the sticks for the P5 and just have a huge smiley face icon on the GO App that says "FLY". :(

I do also Absolutely "LOVE" the Challenge Myself ALSO!!! The fact is that "Everyone is different" will never change. I've noticed that some people are counting the days to your "Happy Face" like crazy!!!! Personally I Love the Technology, and some of the "HELP" features so to speak, but My THRILL is to actually Know that I can do something that Every Tom, ****, and Harry can Not Do.

It's a Terrible Promotional Outlook, but the Challenge is Actually the ONLY THING that will Keep My Bird's in the Air!!! When it's Gone, ("May The *DUST* Begin To Gather,") if you know what I mean.

Just Like all of my Warbirds, 600 Class Helicopters, Boats, 4x4's Exedra:( I Sincerely Hope, and Pray This can Evolve diverse enough to make Everyone Happy, and most of All "FLY SAFE" , and I DO mean that, without Turning them ALL into Preprogramed Flying ROBOTS.

Ambition, and the will to learn is the Key for Me!!! Heck I'm old school, But that Feeling I get when I FINALLY pull it off is PRICELESS to say the least!!!

Sorry, but subject tracking and Tap-To-Fly are gimmicky and for noobs! Any experienced pilot won't have a need for this stuff. Even obstacle avoidance is mostly rubbish for well-prepared flight plans.

However, an optical zoom and 1080p FPV is something that EVERYONE would find useful --- not just the new people coming into the hobby who need lots of safeguards to make sure they dont crash their new toy. 99% of these newbie hobbyists are too ADHD to RTFM and practice becoming good pilots. :mad:

If Inspire 2 has both optical zoom and 1080p FPV then I am tossing my P3 Pro in the dumpster and upgrading so fast it'll make your head spin! :D
i am somewhat new to the hobby and am trying to perfect my flying skills, how do you suggest becoming a "good pilot"??

Sorry, but subject tracking and Tap-To-Fly are gimmicky and for noobs! Any experienced pilot won't have a need for this stuff. Even obstacle avoidance is mostly rubbish for well-prepared flight plans.

It's funny how everyone has a different view point as a lot of posters on multi rotor forums class the DJI phantom as made for 'noobs'.

I myself don't want 1080 fpv yet as the goggles still hit the 720p limit at the moment. I wish DJI would make the 1080 goggles as an accessory when they release the Phantom 5 next year.

You're looking at this issue with a lot of tunnel vision. PLENTY of people want optical zoom -- there are literally hundreds of uses for it. I quoted in another thread about how I've used my P3P for scouting game ahead of hunting season for deer and turkey. You might not be a hunter or have knowledge of animal behavior, but I can tell you it's very hard for a P3 to descend on a herd of deer in order to check antler points on a trophy buck! They tend to scatter once you get below 200 feet because of the prop noise. A nice zoom would allow me to stay above 200' to not spook the critters while I snap some choice photos of any possible big-rack bucks. I've snapped photos with my P3P at 200' and all you can see is deer-shaped brown objects --- not good enough for analyzing rack size and points.

Also think about the implications of zoom on search-and-rescue teams that already use Phantom drones. When time is running out on finding a missing person, you dont have the luxury of doing broad panoramic shots from 400' high and then heading back to the office to analyze the video. What's urgently needed is a zoom feature that can allow teams to easily distinguish between a rock or a dead body hidden in the underbrush. These kinds of details can mean life or death.

Try to open your mind and you'll see that there are many, many uses for a zoom camera on a drone.

Yes you are right, with an optical zoom, you can do a search & rescue mission, and look for Hillary Clinton's honesty

Many users will find those features useful & the obstacle avoidance, assuming it works as advertised, will likely spare many new pilots some heartache. I'm certain we will eventually see zoom capability, likely digital zoom at first, but most consumers are unwilling to shell out $4000-5000 for the features you want. I don't understand the big deal about 720 vs. 1080 FPV on the display devices most of us are using?

The Phantom series is a Prosumer grade product. They are not professional grade. From DJI's standpoint they have to create a unit at a price point where they can sell a reasonable amount of units to be profitable. How many $4500 Inspire Pro's (that's the base price with no accessories, extra batteries or lenses, etc.) will be sold compared to P3/ P4 units? If you desire Power Features why not buy an Inspire Pro or a Matrice & add Lightbridge 2 instead of a P3/P4? Then you'll have all the features you want.

However, an optical zoom and 1080p FPV is something that EVERYONE would find useful --- not just the new people coming into the hobby who need lots of safeguards to make sure they dont crash their new toy. 99% of these newbie hobbyists are too ADHD to RTFM and practice becoming good pilots. :mad:

If Inspire 2 has both optical zoom and 1080p FPV then I am tossing my P3 Pro in the dumpster and upgrading so fast it'll make your head spin! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony Cowan
Many users will find those features useful & the obstacle avoidance, assuming it works as advertised, will likely spare many new pilots some heartache. I'm certain we will eventually see zoom capability, likely digital zoom at first, but most consumers are unwilling to shell out $4000-5000 for the features you want. I don't understand the big deal about 720 vs. 1080 FPV on the display devices most of us are using?

Shell out $4000-$5000 for optical zoom? You do realize optical zoom is offered on $50 hand-held cameras at Walmart, right? Sheesh, use some common sense here!

720 vs. 1080 FPV is a big deal for the reasons I listed. Because of no optical zoom, it's easy to miss important details that a casual hobbyist won't care about, but the mission critical uses will definitely need that level of detail. If I get hired by a hunter to scout game on a large ranch and I find a herd of deer but can't discern antler size or points because I have to hover at 200 ft. so I dont spook the critters --- then I will most likely have to refund the hunter and won't get any more referrals because my crappy 720 FPV cant show the fine detail I need. That situation makes both me and my customers very unhappy, and I get angry when I get unhappy. Don't make me unhappy --- just gimme the **** 1080p FPV. ;)

Yes you are right, with an optical zoom, you can do a search & rescue mission, and look for Hillary Clinton's honesty

I'd need the Hubble Space Telescope to search for any truth or consistency in Chump Trump's statements.

Perhaps his version of the truth got sucked into a black hole --- the one hiding between his large butt cheeks? LOL :p

i am somewhat new to the hobby and am trying to perfect my flying skills, how do you suggest becoming a "good pilot"??

Spend some time watching YouTube video's on beginner flying. Some of the old Phantom 2 Video's are priceless for the information they contain. It was a year ago at this time that P3's were available, but prior to that in 2014 all you had to fly were the DJI Phantom 2 series of drones and that took some real piloting and still does. Drone Camps RC has posted some great video's for beginners. Google them up on the web or YouTube.

Practice and practice flying in a small protected area just learning the basic flying moves until you feel comfortable with taking off and landing and confident your not going to fly into something. Join a local RC club if possible and the AMA, they can help you on a one to one level. Hope this helps you become a good pilot.

Shell out $4000-$5000 for optical zoom? You do realize optical zoom is offered on $50 hand-held cameras at Walmart, right? Sheesh, use some common sense here!

Then buy one & mount it to your Phantom. Problem solved!

720 vs. 1080 FPV is a big deal for the reasons I listed. Because of no optical zoom, it's easy to miss important details that a casual hobbyist won't care about, but the mission critical uses will definitely need that level of detail.

Then stop making yourself uphappy, pony up for a Matrice & install Lightbridge 2 & the high-end gimbal/zoom camera of your choice. Then you won't be unhappy, and many more casual users will be able to afford the Phantom that makes them happy. ;)

Reactions: Myetkt
This is funny in a way. Here you complain about Steve Jobs dumbing down the equipment for the masses. Meanwhile you appear to be running a commercial drone game spotting venue dumbing down the sport of hunting for hunters. Do you see the irony? :)

It just saddens me when DJI adopts the Steve Jobs' mantra of "Customers are too stupid to know what they want --- so we have to give it to them".

Greed begets greed --- and innovation dies. :oops:

Reactions: Myetkt
Then stop making yourself uphappy, pony up for a Matrice & install Lightbridge 2 & the high-end gimbal/zoom camera of your choice. Then you won't be unhappy, and many more casual users will be able to afford the Phantom that makes them happy. ;)

Your mode of thinking is the exact same type of infamous but moronic statement made by the CEO of IBM in 1943:

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers"

I place myself in the mode of thinking shared by innovative visionaries like Bill Gates or Steve Jobs --- be crazy enough to change the world.

You could learn a lot by adopting that attitude instead of the "a car will never replace a good horse" mentality you seem to proud of. :p :p :p

I would not poo poo the collision avoidance. I almost ran into a tall palm tree one evening just because I got distracted. I had a spectator talking to me while bringing it in over the ocean. Alternating between visual and fpv I backed off the right stick when FPV showed it Clear the water. Talking to my spectator for a bit I looked up to acquire a visual I see my craft hovering just feet from the head of the Palm tree. Heart skipped a beat and counted my blessings. I underestimated distance and lag on the video. Yes it would have been pilot error but nothing wrong with having a bit more technology to keep people safe. Like the saying goes, there are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots.

Majority of aviation accidents blamed on pilot error occur with low time pilots and high time pilots cause respectively due to inexperience and complacency.

One more time for the cheap seats. Entry level optical zoom is $5,000. The next one after that, $25,000. You've got a couple years yet before it gets to the Phantom.

This is funny in a way. Here you complain about Steve Jobs dumbing down the equipment for the masses. Meanwhile you appear to be running a commercial drone game spotting venue dumbing down the sport of hunting for hunters. Do you see the irony? :)

"Dumbing down the sport of hunting" --- so you're inferring that rifle scopes and binoculars are also "dumbing down" the sport as well? High-tech optics and electronics have been a part of hunting for many decades now.

A Phantom in the sky with a zoom camera is a powerful and much-needed tool for the future of big game hunters who shell out 1000's of dollars for a trophy hunt and expect to bag a prize. This is big business in the Western states where a 1-week excursion with a reputable outfitter can cost $10,000.

Get out of your Mommy's basement --- breath some fresh air --- and learn about the big world of drone applications --- you'll quickly find out how much you've been living in the dark. :p

Last edited:
One more time for the cheap seats. Entry level optical zoom is $5,000. The next one after that, $25,000. You've got a couple years yet before it gets to the Phantom.

Wow, some of you people are very clueless about cheap electronics:

Amazon.com : Samsung WB350F - 16.3MP BSI CMOS, 21X Optical Zoom, 3-inch LCD touchscreen, 1080p HD Video, Smart WiFi and NFC Digital Camera - Blue : Camera & Photo

21X optical zoom on a $180 digital camera --- why do you bloviating bozos keep insisting optical zoom on a P4 will cost $5,000? Very stupid and irresponsible statement on your part. Wise up.

BTW, don't retort with the predictably response of "Well a P4 can't lift a handheld digital camera". We already know that --- but the optical zoom components only weigh a couple ounces. Try to learn some basic engineering before you pretend to act smart in a discussion board.

:p

Last edited:
Read the posts in your own thread. I was referring to drones. Not cameras. There are people here who might know a lot more about these systems than you.

And watch your tone. The next insult will earn you a warning.

Read the posts in your own thread. I was referring to drones. Not cameras. There are people here who might know a lot more about these systems than you.

And watch your tone. The next insult will earn you a warning.

Your getting simple details easily confused in your head. I just posted a link to a $180 digital camera on Amazon that features a 21X optical zoom. All I'm asking is 10X optical zoom on a P4 camera that costs $800. Not an unreasonable request.

Watch YOUR tone as well. Nobody is above the law in here, and you can be booted outta here faster than a summer breeze. :p

Your getting simple details easily confused in your head. I just posted a link to a $180 digital camera on Amazon that features a 21X optical zoom. All I'm asking is 10X optical zoom on a P4 camera that costs $800. Not an unreasonable request.

Cameras are cheap. Stabilizing them at full zoom is not. Read your own thread. I already explained it.

Watch YOUR tone as well. Nobody is above the law in here, and you can be booted outta here faster than a summer breeze. :p

You've been warned.

[ EDIT - Off topic complaints removed. Read the Community Guidelines ]

Last edited:
Hunted my entire life. Perhaps you could just tie the game to a tree so the "hunters" bag a kill? Were you a member of the crew who lured Cecil the lion from his sanctuary? That dentist sure would be ticked if he didn't "hunt" himself a lion!

I see from your responses living with the big game has impacted your people skills & suspect you won't be around long. Have a nice day!

:p
"Dumbing down the sport of hunting" --- so you're inferring that rifle scopes and binoculars are also "dumbing down" the sport as well? High-tech optics and electronics have been a part of hunting for many decades now.

A Phantom in the sky with a zoom camera is a powerful and much-needed tool for the future of big game hunters who shell out 1000's of dollars for a trophy hunt and expect to bag a prize. This is big business in the Western states where a 1-week excursion with a reputable outfitter can cost $10,000.

Get out of your Mommy's basement --- breath some fresh air --- and learn about the big world of drone applications --- you'll quickly find out how much you've been living in the dark. :p

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik