Two Drone stories on Fox Business News Today

In the case of the fires, the FAA already puts up a TFR around any fire where there will be an air drop, so what good would it do to just add more laws?
Also, how many of these sightings are verified? All it takes to ground the aerial bombardment of fire retardant is one person saying "I think I saw a drone". Seriously, the theory is that the drones are flown by people who don't know the rules and are just trying to get some photos or video. So, if they don't know the rules then why haven't we seen one video of the fires on YouTube?

Reactions: 750r and PaulMuns
............. So, if they don't know the rules then why haven't we seen one video of the fires on YouTube?
They may not know the rules, but I bet they watch TV. Would you put up a video of the fires after seeing and hearing about all the ruckus over it?! No, I don't think we'll be seeing any private drone footage of those fires on YouTube.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
They may not know the rules, but I bet they watch TV. Would you put up a video of the fires after seeing and hearing about all the ruckus over it?! No, I don't think we'll be seeing any private drone footage of those fires on YouTube.

Really, there's been more than a dozen reported drone sightings around wildfires this summer. And you think every one of the drone operators knew nothing about the problems they could cause before the flight, and and every one of them got religion just after landing and watching the news - before uploading anything to YouTube? Every one of them? Doesn't this appear even slightly fishy?

Reactions: 750r
I agree Steve. Particularly on that highway fire where all the motorists were stranded for hours, and supposedly FIVE drones had been sighted: not one image has surfaced, either of the actual drone footage, or photos/video of the supposedly encroaching drones taken by the hundreds of people stranded at the fire site. In this era when cameras are omnipresent, that just seems extremely odd. I made this comment on another group and got called "ignorant" for my hypothesis.

Really, there's been more than a dozen reported drone sightings around wildfires this summer. And you think every one of the drone operators knew nothing about the problems they could cause before the flight, and and every one of them got religion just after landing and watching the news - before uploading anything to YouTube? Every one of them? Doesn't this appear even slightly fishy?
Well, I wasn't going to add to the conspiracy theory............... it tends to disturb certain folks on here. I have no problem believing that a lot of heli pilots are making a lot of claims. Some of them are going the way of the "professional" photographer, after everyone and his dog had available to them the cheap dslr's and Rebel's. I've said in other threads I'm incredulous at the lack of any photos.

Seriously?

These guys have a $75,000 bounty on their heads, and you wonder why they haven't posted their videos to YouTube? And the fact they have enough sense not to post the videos, indicates to you that this never happened?

SMDH...

Reactions: snerd
The bounty was posted long after some of the suspect drone sightings.

1) The drone sightings were never verified.
2) With all the news cameras on the periphery of the fire, not a single one of them got an image of a drone or an interview with someone who actually saw a drone.
3) There were at least 5 drone "sightings" in California a week or more before the bounty was posted, yet somehow all five drone operators discovered the prescience that posting the video would be risky?

I never said there were no drones over the fires - just that something sounds fishy.

The bounty was posted long after some of the suspect drone sightings.

1) The drone sightings were never verified.
2) With all the news cameras on the periphery of the fire, not a single one of them got an image of a drone or an interview with someone who actually saw a drone.
3) There were at least 5 drone "sightings" in California a week or more before the bounty was posted, yet somehow all five drone operators discovered the prescience that posting the video would be risky?

I never said there were no drones over the fires - just that something sounds fishy.

News is instantaneous. Before these fires were even under control the reports of the drones interfering were on the news.
Let's pretend I'm the drone pilot who just flwo over the fire: Common sense tells me not to post the video I just shot because I heard on the radio on my way home that there were drone sightings and they are looking for me.

The police scanner I listen to so I know where the action is, and where I might catch some really cool footage is now abuzz with talk of trying to find me and my drone.

I am editing the really cool wildfire video on my PC that I just shot! I can't wait to show people! My buddy Ryan calls and asks if I just had my drone out filming the Scorched Canyon Fire - "Yeah man, you should see the video I got!! Just about to put it on YouTube!" then Ryan warns me that I'm all over the news - cops are tyring to find me!

Any of those scenarios would prevent me from uploading the video that would incriminate me, and not a single one of those scenarios has anything to do with a reward.

Reactions: Clipper707
While what has happened in California and elsewhere in the US is not for me to comment on (at least that’s how I feel); the same types of reports have been made during forest fires in my area, the Okanagan, with as a result the temporary grounding of firefighting tankers and an helicopters. Yet not one photo or video has appeared anywhere about these forest fires, quite unlike the videos made by people clearly infringing the restricted airspace around Vancouver International airport.

I can’t help but wonder how many of these reports are a form of media-induced “hysteria”, for lack of a better word. And, I should add, that here in British Columbia there are no bounties for the capture of people that fly their drones in restricted airspace. More than likely, if found, they would get a stern warning from the RCMP, and at worse a fine and furthermore, still get their footage noticed which must the reason they would take the risk.

News is instantaneous. Before these fires were even under control the reports of the drones interfering were on the news.
Let's pretend I'm the drone pilot who just flwo over the fire: Common sense tells me not to post the video I just shot because I heard on the radio on my way home that there were drone sightings and they are looking for me.

The police scanner I listen to so I know where the action is, and where I might catch some really cool footage is now abuzz with talk of trying to find me and my drone.

I am editing the really cool wildfire video on my PC that I just shot! I can't wait to show people! My buddy Ryan calls and asks if I just had my drone out filming the Scorched Canyon Fire - "Yeah man, you should see the video I got!! Just about to put it on YouTube!" then Ryan warns me that I'm all over the news - cops are tyring to find me!

Any of those scenarios would prevent me from uploading the video that would incriminate me, and not a single one of those scenarios has anything to do with a reward.

Five times??

This has to be a record - I was wrong twice in one day.
I found the reporting site run by the The National Wildfire Coordinating Group who is the interagency coordinator talking to all the various crews fighting the fires. Apparently many of the drone sightings are confirmed. In some cases the air boss dispatched a observer helicopter to direct LEO to the drone pilots. In some cases the drones were crashed by the downwash of the observer helicopter, and in at least one case, the drone operator is in custody.

So, why don't we hear about these resolutions in the news?

In the case of the fires, the FAA already puts up a TFR around any fire where there will be an air drop, so what good would it do to just add more laws?
Also, how many of these sightings are verified? All it takes to ground the aerial bombardment of fire retardant is one person saying "I think I saw a drone". Seriously, the theory is that the drones are flown by people who don't know the rules and are just trying to get some photos or video. So, if they don't know the rules then why haven't we seen one video of the fires on YouTube?
UAVS are the new UFOs...

Urkel-reactions.gif

:):D:)

Thats pretty weird that they are so worried about some ones drones getting hurt if there is a fire that they want to make it a law to make a drone stay of of danger of getting water dumped on it or what ever it is. They want to protect the drone from... Id say screw it if some one is flying there drone in some area were it could get destroyed by mistake it should be there problem to worry about. .

"Honestly, Mr. FAA inspector, I did not see that three pound plastic model when I released three tons of retardant over it".

It's not that anyone wants to protect the drones. The policy is that if any aircraft is observed in the operations area, all operations are grounded until the invader is gone. At least the drones are considered aircraft.

I found the reporting site run by the The National Wildfire Coordinating Group who is the interagency coordinator talking to all the various crews fighting the fires. Apparently many of the drone sightings are confirmed. In some cases the air boss dispatched a observer helicopter to direct LEO to the drone pilots. In some cases the drones were crashed by the downwash of the observer helicopter, and in at least one case, the drone operator is in custody.

So, why don't we hear about these resolutions in the news?

Thanks for reporting this Steve. You weren't necessarily wrong, more like not being up to date on the news...lol.
The follow ups to many stories never get reported, probably because those aspects of the story aren't as bombastic and attention grabbing as the original story I assume.

But again, thanks for posting this.

Thanks for reporting this Steve. You weren't necessarily wrong, more like not being up to date on the news...lol.
The follow ups to many stories never get reported, probably because those aspects of the story aren't as bombastic and attention grabbing as the original story I assume.

But again, thanks for posting this.
The disconnect is odd, but thanks for prompting me to look deeper.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.