Two cameras on an FC40

Reaction score
This is how I use a GPro while still using the standard camera for FPV. Moving the GoPro rearward greatly helps with the balance.

My GoPro is covered with aluminum foil sandwiched between 2 layers of a grocery bag, to prevent interference with the GPS signal.

I made 2 pieces from 1/16th inch Kydex for the mount

Attachments

• 2cams.jpg
    2cams.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 745
Great solution. I was thinking about mounting my FauxPro (SJ4000) centrally like that when i get it. Do you get much of the legs in shot?

I'm also interested in your method as will be installing a GoPro with gimbal on my FC40.
I did notice in the photo that the prop guard string is not hooked on the tensioners. I'm guessing that you are probably aware that the string can be tensioned with them?

npalen said:
I'm also interested in your method as will be installing a GoPro with gimbal on my FC40.
I did notice in the photo that the prop guard string is not hooked on the tensioners. I'm guessing that you are probably aware that the string can be tensioned with them?

I realize this is not the subject of the thread but I just wanted to add my 2 cents concerning the use of a "String" on our quadcopters. When I got my propguards and saw the string and read the instructions I had to wonder who thought this one up. In my experience there is no way I will put any kind of string around those spinning props. Haven't we all seen what happens when a string breaks and the prop spins. I don't think it will be pretty! Anyway I am never gonna use any kind of string that could break and become tangled in the props. Just my 2 cents.

Oh, I am also thinking of adding a gopro and gimbal, thanks for the above ideas.

I have since learned that the string is so you don't get hooked on someones neck...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWc_5bk ... e=youtu.be

npalen said:

I didn't know there were tensioners! Thanks.

And I'll take into consideration the comment about using strings around propellers. I may just do away with them altogether.

Ozzyguy said:
Great solution. I was thinking about mounting my FauxPro (SJ4000) centrally like that when i get it. Do you get much of the legs in shot?

I originally moved the GoPro back 1 1/4". I didn't get the legs in the shot at all, even with the standard legs. When I moved the camera back where it is now (1 1/2" behind it's original location) I also added the wider/taller landing gear.

I don't understand why the mount cameras so far forward. It really ruins the balance.

Once I take the top off, I may look at taking the boards out and drilling a hole so I can turn that camera mount around so it sits further back. Right now, I'm happy with it as it is.

When I switch to a gimbal, I'd like to mount the original camera with the GoPro somehow so when I tilt the GoPro up and down, I'll be seeing what the GoPro sees. It might be too disorienting to fly with the FPV camera moving around, though.

You wont notice the camera movement if its attached to the gimbal if it's doing its job. Think of it like this the quad will move while the camera stays put. The real issue with fpv is that you won't get that pitch and roll feeling of flight.

darwin-t said:
Ozzyguy said:
When I switch to a gimbal, I'd like to mount the original camera with the GoPro somehow so when I tilt the GoPro up and down, I'll be seeing what the GoPro sees. It might be too disorienting to fly with the FPV camera moving around, though.

You'll likely have to be ready for some gimbal tuning if you want to do this; from what I've seen, they're usually pretty well calibrated to the weight and CG of a gopro in their standard mounting spot. Hanging even a lightweight camera like the FC40 cantilevered off the gimbal could change its response dramatically.

zerodb said:
darwin-t said:
Ozzyguy said:

You'll likely have to be ready for some gimbal tuning if you want to do this; from what I've seen, they're usually pretty well calibrated to the weight and CG of a gopro in their standard mounting spot. Hanging even a lightweight camera like the FC40 cantilevered off the gimbal could change its response dramatically.

Yeah, probably wouldn't work. :cry: Oh, well.

darwin-t said:
This is how I use a GPro while still using the standard camera for FPV. Moving the GoPro rearward greatly helps with the balance.

My GoPro is covered with aluminum foil sandwiched between 2 layers of a grocery bag, to prevent interference with the GPS signal.

I made 2 pieces from 1/16th inch Kydex for the mount

Gotcha beat! :)

Gimbal + FC40

The FC40 is velcro'd to the battery door. But I added some more doublesided tape so the camera tilts down a bit.
The view from both of them line up pretty well, so it definitely helps with lining up shots.

Attachments

• 20140528_204046.jpg
    20140528_204046.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 598
pk5 said:
How long does your battery last with the added weight on an FC40?

the fc40 barely weighs anything with my setup.

7+ minutes with stock props
10+ min with vision props

oh, but im using madddog 2700 batteries too

I'm planning on the almost same setup. FC40 cam on battery door. Maybe I'll make a tilt adjust out of something thin...

Drop the faux-pro mount back behind center 1-2 inches. Don't have a faux-pro yet.

It seems like it would be great to make a "sled" that could hold them both in this config. But still be able to remove them both.

Something easy to turn them on, but remove them for data exchange would be great. kind gets in the way of battery door.

ABS is nice, but I may use roofing tin, since I have a roll of it. Pretty much all I care about is structure to hold them aside from balance. long ago, I replaced the giant bolt nut that it came with on the cam with a simple screw/nut. Seems like it was over kill any way and the tilt should just be about as you guys are using. I may epoxy a nut to the back of the FC40 cam and make a simple angle bracket.

Oh, yeah, BTW, whats wrong with the Mobius cam instead on a Faux pro?

Cheaper optics?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic