Twitchy While in Flight

Reaction score
Hey fellas. Wondering if anyone has a clue about twitchy flight. I saw another thread from 2013 about a similar situation with another forum member, but didn't really catch what ultimately solved his issue.

Here's the issue. I've got the Phantom 1. Once I take off, the phantom is quite twitchy while it's hovering. I've experimented with the gain settings from stock to quite higher than stock and several points in between and haven't seen relief yet. My phantom was running balanced cf 9443's. I switched to a plastic clone of the 9443 and the same problem exists. Compass calibration has been performed multiple times and I've run the advanced calibration with the naza assistant. Flight control isn't bad and it goes where it's supposed to, it's just twitchy as hell when it's hovering. I haven't pulled off the top yet to check if the naza has worked loose, but a good shake in any direction doesn't result in anything inside making noise like it's loose.

Going back to stock props for another test, but too windy tonight here in Northern Nevada to test it out.

Anyone else had this issue and solved it? My Blade 350 right now is putting this misbehaving Phantom to shame.

Thanks in advance all for any good suggestions or ideas.

Update - Went back to stock props. Wasn't able to test outside because it was too windy, but I tested it in our sunroom and it didn't have any of the twitchies it had before. Will test outside when wind is calm enough. I'm thinking it's the 9443 props that might be the issue.

Anyone else running 9443/Vision props on their Phantom 1? If you are and you're getting good stable flight results, what have you got your gains set at? Thanks all.

I'm having the same issue, almost like the motors aren't getting a constant power feed, sort of like a voltage irregularity. Very slight but not enough to make it uncontrollable, not close to that, but enough to make the video unusable when it's just hovering in place. taking the fun out of flying it. Did you ever find a solution? did the prop changes help?

I fly with a bunch of different 9443s, both CF and plastic, knockoff and genuine.

You do generally have to raise your gains a bit with the 9443s, mainly basic pitch/roll go from 120 to about 150-180, but it depends on your payload and balance and other factors. Yaw/vertical can usually stay the same.

You mention your props are balanced, but this has imo been the number one factor in squirrelly 9443 performance. Unbalanced props are almost unflyable, balanced props are great.

I agree we may need to see some video illustrating what you're seeing. Some people are more sensitive to twitches (and 9443s do fly differently than 8045s), whereas some differences are just hard to describe accurately.

I think the problem (or one of them anyway) that I'm trying to work out of mine may be the same as you're describing. I'm using the DJI 9443's and the Phantom will give a little shudder across the whole airframe every so many seconds. I've balanced the props as well as I can on the dubro and I've even tried using the original 8043's and while they reduced the effect, it still hasn't gone away. To me it suggests something unbalanced (props or maybe motors), but I haven't put my finger on it yet.

ElGuano said:
You do generally have to raise your gains a bit with the 9443s, mainly basic pitch/roll go from 120 to about 150-180, but it depends on your payload and balance and other factors. Yaw/vertical can usually stay the same.

Excuse my simple question, but what do adjustments in the gain do?

Thank you

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20