Tutorial on best filming techniques?

L

lightingbryan

I have been searching for a long time for videos or discussions on advanced / intermediate / beginning flight maneuvers for filming in a cinematic way.

It would be nice to see some videos discussing different moves and techniques while filming. All other cinematography products such as dollies, cranes, and tripods have tons of suggestions but I can't seem to find any for flight . I am probably looking in the wrong spot! Thanks!

Have a look at this past thread. Not the most discriptive of titles to search for and find!
viewtopic.php?t=6949

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

IrishSights said:
Have a look at this past thread. Not the most discriptive of titles to search for and find!
http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?t=6949

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Thanks! This is a great forum and many will get great ideas and thoughts from reading it. But, I am a cinematographer and I understand the art forum. I am looking more for the best practices while flying. For instance just Google best way to use a slider and you get tons of videos such as this : Advanded camera slider tips: http://youtu.be/v1MR7ysH9VU

I will be using the Phantom as a filming tool and just want to get ideas and moves that can better my films. Watch that video he does a lot of strange things I would have never thought about and it's just a simple bar.

Another way to put it is to watch the video above, then imagine how you would pull off those same moves with a Phantom. The controls tips to get those shots smooth and controlled. :)

I finally found one that is what I am looking for. Any others that look like this?http://tv.adobe.com/m/#!/watch/take-flight-into-the-adobe-creative-cloud/tips-techniques-for-shooting-aerial-videos/

Interesting video, but the most interesting shots are the ones folowing a moving target, circular shots of a still target, or the target pursuing the camera..
Lots of practice to get these ones right...

Some decent tips here. Would be great if we could add some more recent input on the filming techniques front.

Cheers.

I have photography background (aerial photography from full scale airplanes) ; I think the most annoying aerial footage is when every shot is moving any direction that is possible ( non or very little steady footage) ,and the worst would be fast panning.
Usually I watch aerial documentaries on Discovery channel to learn from it ; and even there you can find some really annoying parts,like documentary titled "Magnificent Italia from air , there was so much panning your head would spin.
In my opinion if you insert number of steady footage and eliminate fast swings and fast panning you are half way to the success .

My finest tips:

1.) Slow pan (when you think your flying slow enough, fly even slower)
2.) Reveal shots for the win
3.) Smooth slow orbital shots
4.) Magic Hour

My own thoughts as a keen amateur:

1: Don't fall into the "look how high I can go trap". People have already seen google earth
2. Treat it like an infinite dolly or boom
4. Smooth is key. Take many takes of the same shot so you can choose your best during editing
5. Avoid minor adjustments in your shots. (see point 4)
6. record sound on another camera or dedicated recorder to dub over the top afterwards
7. Small slow movement shots should form the bulk of your shoot. Constant long and high shots just say "look, I have a Phantom"

What I often do is when I watch a film, I think about the shots and how they were done and how I could copy them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers