Tutorial For Futaba 14SG and DJI Phantom 2

Get self centering piece for the futaba, if you are going to use a quad u will want the centering stick. With the throttle curve u will find it hard to find a perfect hover which basically defeats the purpose of a quads ability to hover and not descend or assend a bit. It's free from futaba or like 20 bucks from a dealer. Takes 5 min to infallible. Without u will never sit in one place and hover perfectly. Also no need to remove stock receiver it actuall gets same distance as the futaba receiver. And is lighter so u don't add weight. Don't take out stock antennas either very unneeded.

I am hoping you all can help with my issue. I have done the installation and all appears correct. The Naza software show the sticks all work, and all is good to go. I cant get my phantom to start up, using the normal startup. What am I forgetting to do, or is the startup something new. Thanks in advance for your help.

VegetalPT said:
I am hoping you all can help with my issue. I have done the installation and all appears correct. The Naza software show the sticks all work, and all is good to go. I cant get my phantom to start up, using the normal startup. What am I forgetting to do, or is the startup something new. Thanks in advance for your help.
Go into the 14SGH menu, and I think it's settings, HW Calibration, and run the calibration routine on the remote.
then, go into Naza and calibrate again.

IF, you are using Ianwood's software, make sure the Rate Limit switch is in the Up position. All switches should be up, or back, except for gimbal tilt switch, would should be in the middle.

Also-push the "servo" button on the remote, and make sure all sticks move through their maximum range.

CSC is either; L/R sticks inward and down, or, outward and up, outward and down, or another combination. But, both sticks inward and down should do it.
Check Naza after calibration to make sure throttle/yaw and pitch/roll move at full range to 1000.

I noticed the 8fg profile had 3 switch gimbal slow tilt, not avail for the 14?

Yes-it works exactly the same on my 14. Keep it in the middle, and use R/S normally. OR, move right slider UP, move switch UP, then when you want switch to tilt 45 deg's down, flip switch 1 position Down. If you want to go 90 deg's down, flip switch to 3rd full down position.
It's something you really need to try out in the field. Just remember-if you're flying along, and your R/S doesn't work-check that the 3-way switch is in the Middle position.

havasuphoto said:
Yes-it works exactly the same on my 14. Keep it in the middle, and use R/S normally. OR, move right slider UP, move switch UP, then when you want switch to tilt 45 deg's down, flip switch 1 position Down. If you want to go 90 deg's down, flip switch to 3rd full down position.
It's something you really need to try out in the field. Just remember-if you're flying along, and your R/S doesn't work-check that the 3-way switch is in the Middle position.
djiatl said:
This is fantastic! Looking forward to the second part. Thanks! :mrgreen:
Thanks

havasuphoto said:
djiatl said:
This is fantastic! Looking forward to the second part. Thanks! :mrgreen:
Thanks
Which switch did you use as the download profile has LS for gimbal control no R/S
SA = Intelligent Orientation Control
SB = Control Mode Switch
SE = Timer (Up Is Start, Middle Is Stop, Down Is Reset)
SF = Limits The Rudder Control To 50% Speed (For Slow Pans)
SH = Momentary Failsafe Switch (This Will Throw You Into Failsafe Regardless of Mode)
LS = Gimbal Tilt (Left Bottom Slide Lever)

Download and install V 5, here;http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8358
Gimbal tilt is on channel 5/Gear. You can scroll through the switches/sliders and make it anything you want-as long as the switch isn't already used.
So, you'll see that R/S is the default selected for V5. Highlight that and tap your scroll wheel, and you can change it to LD/RD/LS, or whatever you want. But, I prefer R/S-which is the default.

Ok, but that says T8FGS profile v5 for Phantom 2, so it does work with the 14sg?

I messed up my previous profile on my 14sg, should I just delete and put new profile on?

On this futaba update link have you checked out this new file system utility? http://www.futaba-rc.com/software-updates.html
File System Utility (603 KB) - updated October 23, 2014
This converts data stored on the SD card for the 8FG, 14SG and 12FG to a format readable on a PC. It also converts the telemetry data the 14SG logs to .csv format so that it may be imported into a spreadsheet.

On this futaba update link have you checked out this new file system utility? http://www.futaba-rc.com/software-updates.html
File System Utility (603 KB) - updated October 23, 2014
This converts data stored on the SD card for the 8FG, 14SG and 12FG to a format readable on a PC. It also converts the telemetry data the 14SG logs to .csv format so that it may be imported into a spreadsheet.
I don't keep an SD card in my 14SGH, and there really isn't any telemetry that will be recorded, because none is sent to the remote by the P2. So-you don't need that file.

You do need the Futaba File System Utility to "drag and drop" the V5 file into slot 5 or wherever you want it. All the instructions on how to do this are on page 1 of the link I sent.

And yes-8FGS and 14SGH are identical. Zero difference in files or function. I've been using V4 and V5 on my 14SGH, on both the P2 and my F550 w/naza, and the only difference is, the 550 has a Futaba Receiver(70008SB), so it uses another frequency set-up.....like FAAST-12ch, or something like that. That one does have Telemetry-but the only thing it shows is the voltage to the receiver-5.1 volts...never changes.

Whereas the P2 using Muti-FAAST G.
So, when I switch aircraft, the only thing I do is go to System, and change from Multi-Fast G, to the other one that is bound to my Futaba receiver-done. All switches do the same thing on both aircraft.

Thanks for your help. Regarding this new Futaba utility, I was just curious how it would display the info on my pc of the Ian V5 profile. I am going to have a look for fun.

Thanks for your help. Regarding this new Futaba utility, I was just curious how it would display the info on my pc of the Ian V5 profile. I am going to have a look for fun.
It doesn't show anything. It just shows a grid list of the default files already loaded into your 14SGH, and you drag his profile into a spot below that.
Remember-you have to use an SD card-not and SDHC(although some say that might work now?). Format the card in the remote first.
Then insert into a card reader on your computer. Open the Utility, find the card, hit the "Mount" button. Drag the file onto the list, then hit "un-mount", remove card, place card in remote-power up the remote, and copy the new profile over, power off, remove card, power on, select new model, push the Bind button on the P2, and they should bind quickly. Then, go into Naza and re-calibrate the controls and confirm what every switch does-then go fly.
It's pretty simple-but you really need to read the instructions thoroughly before you do it.

Thanks again havasuphto. I take it you are not Ian but a fellow user? I will be looking over the instructions very carefully, got 2 sd cards ready to go. It said SD 2gb or less, is 4gb a problem? Just answered my own question pg 19 of manual. Must be 2gb, Walmart was out, back we go

Thanks again havasuphto. I take it you are not Ian but a fellow user? I will be looking over the instructions very carefully, got 2 sd cards ready to go. It said SD 2gb or less, is 4gb a problem? Just answered my own question pg 19 of manual. Must be 2gb, Walmart was out, back we go
Try it first and see if it works.
And no, I'm just a user. I've installed this onto an 8FGS and a 14SGH and used it on quite a few different Naza equipped aircraft. All work exactly the same. It's nice to know exactly where the switches are and what they do, blind. I'm flying under goggles-so not matter which aircraft I fly, the same switch does the same thing.

The pack of 2 is still unopened, taking it back. I tried this on the 14sg and the motors would not start afterwards, then I tried to go back and made so many changes I got lost, and now I am going to install the Ian profile. The last step in the mod using motor change must not be good for the 14. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wan3tU-edRg
http://itsreal3d.com/Tiltinstructions.pdf Is the gimbal auto similar in the ian profile?

So I have the previous messed up profile on my system, should I delete it or does the new profile overwrite it

The pack of 2 is still unopened, taking it back. I tried this on the 14sg and the motors would not start afterwards, then I tried to go back and made so many changes I got lost, and now I am going to install the Ian profile. The last step in the mod using motor change must not be good for the 14. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wan3tU-edRg
http://itsreal3d.com/Tiltinstructions.pdf Is the gimbal auto similar in the ian profile?

So I have the previous messed up profile on my system, should I delete it or does the new profile overwrite it
Just select the new profile from the menu, and use it.
As for the engines not starting-go to Systems, Hardware, Calibration(I think), and you will see HW Calibration. Have you calibrated the remote, using the remotes calibration utility?
Could also be one of your trim buttons got pushed a few times, so now it doesn't go full travel.
Also-calibrate in Naza and make sure they travel to plus or minus 1000.
The auto-tilt is similar. You can also go back in and adjust the speed at which it auto-tilts-but I don't use it, so I can't tell you which screen to go to to change what value.

silly me, had 2x 2gb sd cards in the drawer. Deleted the old data-- out with old, in with the new. It says phantom 2 on my transmitter now, so looking good, now for naza assistant calibration. Naza done, all looks beautiful. Thanks Havasu and Ian too for that matter. I grew up in Phoenix, and went to the UofA, class of 78.

Here is my 1st test of the gimbal auto pan https://vimeo.com/111032870

Guys,
im looking for a strock Phantom 2 receiver, perhaps anyone who's done this mod looking to sell his?
thanks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj