Turning Off VPS On Phantom 4?

Reaction score
Is there still no option to turn off VPS on the Phantom 4?

I like being able to fly low by the water, but I don't trust the P4 with VPS enabled.

If you turn off obstacle avoidance will that turn off VPS?

As far as I know of that we can't disable VPS whatsoever.

As stated, there's currently no way to disable VPS on the P4. There's been talk from the DJI support FB page, of an option coming but nothing yet.

And no, turning off OA will not disable VPS.

What does the VPS do / not do that has so many people wanting to disable it?

too bad, i was flying over water all the times with my home made FPV quad, no issues. P4 is a pain in the neck, really hard to make close-up pictures/vids. DJI must fx this problem, ability to disable VPS or whatever.

What would be the lowest altitude flying over water in the meantime?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

What does the VPS do / not do that has so many people wanting to disable it?
It determines your altitude when you are under 30' I believe. The problem with flying over water is that the VPS has a hard time distinguishing ground level as water throws off the sensors.

I am currently out on a canal boat in the UK with P4 and can confirm that it is a little sketchy over water.
The reaction i get tends to be that it will hover 3 feet off the water fine but when about 5 feet up it suddenly reacts and leaps upward, usually at least twice in 2 foot vertical ascents.
I assume this is because when very low to the water the air turbulence creates ripples and prevents a true reflection bouncing back to the sensors (making it think its over more solid material). At 5 feet the water is much less disturbed and hence it sees a bounce back of its own sensor output and gets glitchy.
It is at least predictable and it does'nt seem to descend randomly which is a comfort but being i am on a river/canal with overhanging trees it prevents the dynamic low level flight shots a lot as one random ascent can lead to clipping a branch and splosh....
I have tried disabling the whole collision avoidance system (i tend not to use it generally) but it still does this so the VPS is clearly still active. Certainly in need of the option in the app (sadly it will be too late for my trip i fear... But its the uk so it'll rain soon anyway [emoji849]).
Don't think Litchi or Autopilot have this yet either.

It determines your altitude when you are under 30' I believe. The problem with flying over water is that the VPS has a hard time distinguishing ground level as water throws off the sensors.

So if I stay 30' and up no problem with the VPS over water?

i do believe not just altitude, also the horizontal position. Phantom will drift with the water, any small waves or moving surface pattern will make P4 drift really quick. Ones P4 over the boat body drift will stop, so landing is Ok but kinda tricky. im grabbing P4 with my hands.

Reactions: IslandDave
Just discovered you can turn off VPS simply by covering the sensor lenses with tape. Poof they don't work!

Is there still no option to turn off VPS on the Phantom 4?

I like being able to fly low by the water, but I don't trust the P4 with VPS enabled.

If you turn off obstacle avoidance will that turn off VPS?
As far as I know of that we can't disable VPS whatsoever.
Here's how I turned it off so I can strap a battery under there
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1467138671.524058.jpg

Black electric tape, then white!

Last edited:
Does it actually work tho?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Can't say on that one, but the option is there if anyone gets a chance to test. I've a feeling it'll set/clear a flag in the bird itself regardless of what app you then use to fly. If someone could test that theory too? Weather lousy here and so is work!

Can you disable the vps now with the p4 since the new firmware update? I just ordered my p4 so I really do not know. Please let me know guys. Thanks

Hmm, this discussion made me do a double take of my "Visual Navigation Settings" and right there at the bottom of the screen it has "Enable Vision Positioning" with a green on/off slider.

I tried it. It turned off.

P4 and version 3.0.2 (2734) on an iPad.

AD

Reactions: KAAN ORER

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl