Turning off propellers mid-air

Reaction score
Hello guys,

Merry Christmas and happy holidays. Question for you guys. Has anyone here ever had the courage to shut down their propellers in midair (by pushing sticks down and inward) and letting it free fall while you try to turn it back on and fly it again? Is it even possible? Never tried it, but wondering if any of you guys did for an experiment or fun.

Keep flying!

Last edited:
This would sit in the completely stupid and irresponsible bucket, clearly not a good idea risking both the drone and any bystanders/property near by

Not a good idea

It can in theory be done but the drone needs to be very high seen a video of someone doing it but I see no need to do it

In fact it seems like a feature that I would disable if you can, can you? If you do what are the consequences?

In fact it seems like a feature that I would disable if you can, can you?

I don't know. We'll see what the other users say. I would love to disable that feature because I don't wanna destroy my drone.

I just got mine off santa claus this morning can't wait to start messing with it, slow and steady learn learn learn before flying it far off!

This would sit in the completely stupid and irresponsible bucket, clearly not a good idea risking both the drone and any bystanders/property near by

I would never try it. Waste of money. I was just wondering if anyone else has. Clearly, if people were planning to do it, you have to make sure no one is in the area.

Somebody tried to do this ....they managed to restart the motors but unfortunately the unit was orientated upside down when the motors kicked in so it had the effect of rocketing it into the ground.

Reactions: Raja777m
Reactions: AAPhoto
I was worried about this happening by accident while flying when I read about it in the manual. So, I tried it in the flight simulator and .... It didn't recover in time. I didn't try it for that reason though. I tried it to see if I'd ever find myself at those extremes when flying and I concluded that it would be very unlikely, for me anyway.

Love the safety option msinger provided. That'll offer some peace of mind!

I've seen videos of people doing that with the P2V+, but nobody has successfully shot a video of doing it with a Phantom 3. So, if the motors shut off in the air, it's game over.

I don't see any reason shutting down the motors would not be doable.

Just have plenty of altitude like 400', as soon as it starts it free fall switch it back on.
Even if it was upside down should have plenty of time to right itself.

With that being said you try it first and get back to us.

I don't see any reason shutting down the motors would not be doable.

Just have plenty of altitude like 400', as soon as it starts it free fall switch it back on.
Even if it was upside down should have plenty of time to right itself.

With that being said you try it first and get back to us.
As was previously stated the last guy who tried this was much higher and failed. Bird was totalled.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

As was previously stated the last guy who tried this was much higher and failed. Bird was totalled.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Would like to understand why it failed.
Maybe the Phantom does not know its upside down?

Would like to understand why it failed.
Maybe the Phantom does not know its upside down?
Upside down. Spinning. Everything that happens during free fall. It's simply not designed to recover from an engine shutdown and unusual attitude.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I really don't understand why anyone would want to try this. What purpose would it serve? . It has never dawned on me to drive off a cliff just to see what would happen and if I would survive.

Reactions: Larry L
I would never try in real world, but I got the simulator to recover a few times. I had to be up like 600 feet...

I feel like that would put a lot of stress on the motors and airframe, aren't we having cracking issues with these craft already? I don't see why anyone would want to potentially decrease the reliability and longevity of their aircraft by doing this. If you want to do stuff like this, I would get an FPV Racer or a cheap agile quad, like a Dromida Ominus. I love mine and you can roll, flip and do crazy thing, all without breaking the bank. And, when you do crash, replacement airframes for the Ominus are less than 3 dollars.

That might be a better alternative, than shutting off the motors to a 1200 dollar quad that requires a sequence of commands to restart the motors...

I would think the recovery would really draw the battery voltage down. Some of the newer birds are having problems with that ...I have heard and shutting down.

Keep working on the simulator. It's cheaper. Look up "CSC" on the boards. There are a number of threads where this has been done inadvertently with universally unhappy results.

If you want an acrobatic drone, get an acrobatic drone. This is a flying camera.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic