Turning motors by hand

Reaction score
Hey Peoples

I just wanted to know.. how much resistance should there be when turning the motors by hand ?
With the 3 of them they are fairly loose and just kind of turn, but the 4th one... its not really tight but you can sort of feel the magnets I guess ?
Its hard to explain but it just seems like it is a tinnny bit stiffer than the others.

Its annoying because I returned my phanom to the shop to look at battery issue, they aparntly did nothing and battery seems fine.. but now I've noticed one motor is a tiny tiny bit tighter.. it might just be my imagination.

also when flying it seems to have trouble just hovering in 1 spot, sometimes It sounds like 1 or more motors are revving up abit to do extra work.. It has been a little windy lately so perhaps that is contributing..
I might just be over reacting.. I need to stop watching it hover and actually take it for a flight and watch it; howwever I was abit scared.

anyways... so yeah how much resistance should there be when turning motors by hand ?? None of the 4 motors seems to have any 'play' in any direction, its just the 4th one... seems kinda tighter, as if you can feel the magnetics.. (assuming its magnets lol)

anyways I might just be over re-acting, hopefully I am because I really don't want to return it back to the shop... they will think there is something wrong with me.. but it did cost $1800 and all..

any experts in Victoria/Australia who can take a look at it ? The hobby shop guy did take it out for a flight and said it was perfect... so maybe its just me over re-acting.. if it wasnt for the fact one motor feels a tiny bit tighter I wouldn't of even taken notice.. it just seems like it strtuggles to stay up now.. but yeah... has been windy.

thanks heaps :)

ok thanks :)
Just thought it felt diff than normal.. just my paranoia.

must just be the gusty winds lately that have been making it fly a little wieder... seems to be ok though.. I'll monitor it tonight afte I do a proper flight in smaller area (just incase!)

They should feel the same. Steppy is a good description, but I'd investigate further if you think one is stiffer. You can pull that motor apart and look for magnetic debris which could lead to a crash. Sort it out if in doubt. :D

When you turn the motors off does that one stop spinning sooner than the other 3 ? Also check if that motor is warmer than the other 3 after flight.

These are brushless motors, so the only friction points are two tiny bearings. There is also a chance that you have the notorious tight bushing. There is a small brass bushing on the bottom of the motor between the lower bearing and retainer clip. That can sometimes be an unperfect fit and put the bearings in a slight bind. Easily remedied by removing it and honing it down with some 1000 grit sandpaper on a flat surface.

If all 4 props stop at close to the same rate then it's probably your imagination.

Since day 1.. 1 of the motors takes an extra split second or two to stop.

Im getting abit worried now... before I took it back to hobby shop were I got it (battery issues) it was fine..well except the motor goes for split second later.. but now im seeing erratic bevahiour and possibly hearing noises whuch might be over revving. Its been pretty windy so havnt been able to test properly. The erratic behaviour could also be due to wind..The shop said thry did absolutly nothing..didnt even take off case, just gave me a new charger.. but yeah.. could be my paranoia and now im like listenibg for things which might not exist which make it easier to hear imaginery things.

If i take it back to shop thry will fly for 2 mins and say its fine. Cost me $1800 so yeah...would like some reassurance.

After running for 20 mins none of them are really hot at all..does seem to fly level.. hopefully its not gusty tomorrow and I can do a proper test. If i suspect anything after that im just gonna make them RMA it... rather have a new one then end up with a $1800 paper weight. Probs just is my paranoia..i hope :)

Was turning motor today againm..seems to be no friction anymore.. well no less than the others.. which is barely anything.. basicaly free spins i guess..so hmmm...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues