Turnigy 9xr on P2 set up ...

Reaction score
Good day there.
Hope everyone are good as it is my first post here and hope to have a great time on this forum.

I just got the new Turnigy 9xr and trying to make it work on my Phantom2 "Non vision"

As soon as i took the upper shell off the drone, i noticed that there was 2 Wires connected to the receiver of the P2. Now which of them should be connected to the New receiver?

Once all of this is done, how do you bind them?

And what are the procedure to finally have the controller to control the DJI phantom2?
As there is not a lot of information on how to set them up properly

A big thank you to all that can help me around. :D

Which Receiver did you get with the 9XR? That will determine how you connect it and how you bind with it.

You'll also need to set up all the controls/channels on the controller itself...you can do it with the buttons on it but it's much easier if you connect to the PC and use the OpenTX/ER9X Companion software. Once you know how to do that, we can get you a settings file you can load on it that will mimic the Phantom's factory control setup.

OI Photography said:
Which Receiver did you get with the 9XR? That will determine how you connect it and how you bind with it.

You'll also need to set up all the controls/channels on the controller itself...you can do it with the buttons on it but it's much easier if you connect to the PC and use the OpenTX/ER9X Companion software. Once you know how to do that, we can get you a settings file you can load on it that will mimic the Phantom's factory control setup.

The receiver i have is a DJT+V8FR
As for the pc part of it? humm well i'm on mac, i'll try looking for the software for a mac, if all fails, i'll have to load bootcamp and load windows7 or XP on my mac

I don't believe the V8FR receiver will work in a P2, since it doesn't have S-Bus output. It used to be possible to connect a PPM or traditional receiver to the NAZA in a P1, but I'm pretty sure the P2 will only accept S-Bus (aka D-Bus). Fortunately there's a couple of FrSky receivers compatible with the DJT that also have S-Bus, specifically the X6R and X8R. With either of those you can use the 9XR+DJT with the P2, by simply connecting one cable from the receiver to the X2 port on the NAZA (one of the two you found from the stock receiver).

Programming the 9XR without a PC is definitely possible, but it can be kind of complex for a first-timer to try that with just the buttons on the unit itself. If you can get it connected successfully to a PC, you can sidestep all the programming by using a settings file ("eeprom") already set up for a Phantom.

Hello All
I a relatively new to quad copters but I am currently gaining license as will be filming commercially. Internet research has shown the 9XR to be a solid radio that will integrate well into my Phantom 1.1.1 / Zenmuse H3-3D setup. As I will be strictly observing the 400 ft up 500 meters out rule range is not an issue.
I have 2 Questions that no amount of surfing have been able to answer
1 What receiver unit is best for the job
2 Where can I get a video or advice on fitting it.

I am competent to do the work I just cant find how to do it.

Also I understand it is possible to download something that will set the radio up for me.

Thanks in advance for any help that is forthcoming.

Gabriel

cyberdelica said:
1 What receiver unit is best for the job

Turnigy does make a basic 9-channel receiver that's sometimes bundled with the 9XR, but I don't believe it has S-bus (required for the Phantom 2) so it wouldn't be much use to you anyway. You'll need a transmitter module for the bay on the back of the 9XR and a receiver to match that. I recommend the following options for those:

Tx module: FrSky XJT
Rx module: FrSky X4R - This was just released by FrSky as a smaller alternative to their popular X8R receiver, and is an excellent option for the Phantom 1 and non-Vision Phantom 2's. When used in conjunction with the XJT transmitter, you'll have up to 16 channels available over S-bus (7 is all you need on a Phantom), as well as 3 output channels in case you ever want to connect other accessories. It also lets you use the full range of FrSky independent telemetry sensors (batt voltage, current draw, etc etc).

This past weekend I replaced the X8R in my Phantom with the new X4R and did the first test flight today...works perfectly, just as good as the X8R, except smaller/lighter/cheaper :)

There's other Tx/Rx options that will work with the 9XR but I think FrSky's definitely give the best value for the money, and perform great. Once you decide on the model of receiver, connecting inside the Phantom is very easy, I can show you pics of my install if you end up using the same components. Only takes 2 minutes once you have the shell open.

EDIT: almost forgot....the program you need on the PC to interface with the 9XR is called OpenTx Companion (formally Companion9X). Once you have that you can create/edit/load the settings files to/from the 9XR, it's a much easier interface than just using the controller itself. Here's the link for the latest version: http://www.open-tx.org/2014/07/24/companion-2.0.8/

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic