Turn VPS Off Over Water?

Reaction score
Good afternoon guys,

I have been reading quite a few posts where they say it is a good idea to turn vps off when flying over bodies of water. Is this always the best case? I have flown my p3p over a small lake in my backyard a couple times and haven't had any issues (with vps on). Nothing really low yet though. And seeing how i was planning a trip down to the Keys and will be doing a bunch of over-water flying, i would like to prepare myself as best as possible. So should i always turn vps off for water flight?

And what about if i will be transfering from over water then over land on an island during the same shot? Any issues?

Any over water pointers or tips you would like to share with a new pilot would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
VPS is only effective when the Phantom is at an altitude between 0.3 to 3 meters. Unless you're planning to fly above the water at that low of an altitude (I don't recommend it), then there is no benefit to turning off VPS.

Reactions: dparkins
So if flying 10 feet or higher nothing to worry about.

But what if i was feeling daring and wanted to fly 3 feet over the water on a calm lake? Would the vps then get a little funky? Or should it stay smooth and controllable?

So if flying 10 feet or higher nothing to worry about.
Yes.

what if i was feeling daring and wanted to fly 3 feet over the water on a calm lake? Would the vps then get a little funky? Or should it stay smooth and controllable?
It depends on how the VPS detects that surface. I don't recommend you tempt fate though. If you must get that shot for some reason, then play it safe and turn off VPS.

Yes.

It depends on how the VPS detects that surface. I don't recommend you tempt fate though. If you must get that shot for some reason, then play it safe and turn off VPS.

Appreciate the feedback. Not tempting fate anytime soon. Just curious to the limits.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik