turn off VPS when flying over water?

turn off VPS when flying over water ?

• Total voters
My. What an intelligent and erudite reply. The official DJI forum has posted an official warning about the VPS and gimbal guards and says how it can interfere and they will not honor the warranty.

Many birds do use sonar and so does the VPS. Unless you are an ornithologist and sonar engineer, I would rather listen to someone is educated on the subject.

I don't think birds use sonar. The only naturally flying object you have to worry about using sonar is Bats. Mostly Bats are flying around dusk, and at night. Unless you plan on flying at those times I don't think anything will be affected by VPS sonar, IMOP...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I don't think birds use sonar. The only naturally flying object you have to worry about using sonar is Bats. Mostly Bats are flying around dusk, and at night. Unless you plan on flying at those times I don't think anything will be affected by VPS sonar, IMOP...

I honestly don't know for sure. I have read posts from engineers claiming that some birds do. If I am using a gimbal guard and given DJI's policy combined with the potential risk of birds, which is obviously in dispute here, it seems prudent to me to turn off the VPS if it is not needed. This has been gone through on the DJI Forum and DJI reps don't see a problem as long as the drone is stable at low altitudes without it.

one of the original P3P when released... always flown with gimbal guard and VPS on, always updated firmware to latest no issues no cracks... Rock solid bird .. just my experiences.. I have crashed twice my errors and the gimbal guard saved my bird from camera replacement.

A famous quote some might have already heard:

'Tis better to keep your foot buried deeply in your mouth and let others think you a fool instead of removing it and removing all doubt.

It is not recommended to fly low over water with VPS system ON. It's image processing system and sonar system may not work well over water.

Sonar would work just fine over water, and even when it does not, it doesnt result in errors, there is no reason I can think off why you want to turn sonar off. The optical flow sensor however, can become very confused over water. Thats why I dont understand we cant just disable the optical flow, while maintaining sonar, which is crucially useful over water and harmless everywhere.

Sonar would work just fine over water, and even when it does not, it doesnt result in errors, there is no reason I can think off why you want to turn sonar off. The optical flow sensor however, can become very confused over water. Thats why I dont understand we cant just disable the optical flow, while maintaining sonar, which is crucially useful over water and harmless everywhere.

Just curious because I don't know. Why does the optical flow sensor not work properly over water? Is it because the light can penetrate through the water and give a false readings...

optical flow uses a camera to find patterns to detect movement. It will get confused by waves and reflections. In general it doesnt really work on shiny surfaces or ones with no distinguishable features. Or surfaces that move :)

optical flow uses a camera to find patterns to detect movement. It will get confused by waves and reflections. In general it doesnt really work on shiny surfaces or ones with no distinguishable features. Or surfaces that move :)

Cool. Good to know. I never use it. Thanks for quick answer...

one of the original P3P when released... always flown with gimbal guard and VPS on, always updated firmware to latest no issues no cracks... Rock solid bird .. just my experiences.. I have crashed twice my errors and the gimbal guard saved my bird from camera replacement.
Same here. The first day I put mine on I landed on a Rock hidden in the grass, Thankfully it slide off the rock because of the guard.

Bats rely on sonar, because they have almost no eyesight, or need for eyesight in dark caves. But sonar works just as well in the day. Optical flow otoh, just wouldnt work in the dark. Why DJI wants to pretend both sensors are somehow related and bundling them in "vps" beats me though. Ok for marketing, not ok when it comes to being able to turn it on or off.

Setting aside the issue of gimbal guards and birds, I do stand by my test based facts. Altitude within the range of VPS is more accurate when VPS is on, and yes it will follow a slope in either direction, albeit a much slower response up a grade than down a grade. As to why I consider this of value, I defer back to my statements in post 12.

Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic