Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Turn off "home" settings for following a boat for long periods of time?

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by volffas, Jul 20, 2015.

1. volffas

I finally had a chance to take my P2 out to the lake this weekend and follow the boat around. It made for some great shots. But 6 or 7 minutes into the flight the quad stopped responding to my inputs. We stopped the boat and I flipped it to atti mode and was able to bring it back to the boat. I have never been so nervous in my life! (Thank goodness I have spent hours flying manual quads, I can't imagine someone with no previous experience hand landing on a boat getting blown around on the water in atti mode.)

At the time it was happening I had no idea why the quad had stopped responding and was trying to fly the opposite direction from me. After everything had settled down I realized that we had drove a straight line away from the "home" location that I had set just before takeoff, and when the battery got to 50% it automatically started to head "home" to make sure that the battery wouldn't be dead by the time it got there. Is there a way to turn this feature off and still fly in GPS mode? I can fly in atti without any issues, but while on the boat and watching a million other things it sure is easier to fly in GPS mode.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is a really stupid question. I have searched the forum but couldn't find any answers.

2. RoyVa

You may want to check out dynamic home points function. Good for moving around like in a boat. Also you may want to change the return to home from 50% to something a little less. A lot of users use 30% and the real brave ones 20%.

3. Mako79

How far were you from home?
    You may have geo fence active - check the phantom assist and the RADIUS and HEIGHT settings. If you go out of these ranges, you will have limited stick input.
    I set mine to 999999999 for both.

4. jason

• Keep in mind thesis a family friendly forum with no cursing. Thanks.
    There no way to change the percentage for the low battery warnings in assistant software v3.6 as DJI shut that function off.

I wouldn't call us brave because the first low battery warning is set at 20% as that is what telemetry is for.
    For those flying without FPV or telemetry at a 160 away you cannot see the LEDs no matter what the percentage is set at. Of course for those who fly at night that's a different story.

#4 jason, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2015