Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

tsa for a commercial license? ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by turbodronepilot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. turbodronepilot

Hey operators. .. so the faa is going to require a tsa for a commercial operators license? ?
    In a post from rcgoups.com a guy was on th e news talking about the new faa laws regrading drones..they mentioned that the reason why the want operators to get a tsa was to prevent terrorist from using a drone .. this is an example of how dumb most Americans are.. like the terrorists are going to get a commercial license for terriosm. .really?? ..haha..good one...
    I don't agree with the ban of night flights. .not that I fly much at night,but sometimes when there's a full moon or a weekend night I like to fly...
    los..they're afraid drones will collide in mid air if you can't see your drone..more bs..
    I saw a video of a inspire hitting a phantom (think it was a phantom ) so it's obvious that you can crash even when in los...there probably should be restrictions on where you could fly blos..but I don't see a problem flying blos on my friends 2000 acre ranch...

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

What is a tsa?

3. turbodronepilot

Go to rcgoups.com under inspire users thread..page 1199 post 17978..

4. msinger

Approved Vendor

Sounds like a lot of work :D

5. turbodronepilot

Really no comments. .ah did you get ur feelings hurt when I said most Americans are stupid?? Get over it..

6. msinger

Approved Vendor

You probably didn't get any comments because you failed to link to the post you're referring to. Nobody wants to search for it.

And, calling most Americans stupid is just childish...

kevinm likes this.
  7. dirkclod

dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

Transportation Security Administration

8. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Is that just for professional terrorists?
    Would amateur terrorists be OK without the TSA check?

9. msinger

Approved Vendor

dirkclod, right, I know what the TSA is. The OP said you need to get "a tsa" though.

10. dirkclod

dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

:oops: Sorry ,misread your guestion

11. SteveMann

All pilots get a TSA screening. Ever since 9/11 when it was revealed that some of the hijackers learned to fly at a Florida airport.

12. msinger

Approved Vendor

SteveMann, interesting. But, what does that have to do with the OP's question?

13. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The OP is saying that commercial UAV pilots need to get a clean TSA screening, basically a background check on you. It is kind of like the licensing of hand guns in NY, you need a background check & a permit, cause we all know a criminal would never use an unregistered hand gun. The same way a terrorist would never fly a death drone without proper licensing & clearance. :roll:

14. SteveMann

The only question in the OP was "so the faa is going to require a tsa for a commercial operators license?"

15. who

who

Just more $$$ to the government. Majority of people can pass a tsa screening.... I believe it's $80, plus you got to go to a place to get fingerprinted, then a few weeks you get a letter. Might be different but for sure you have to pay up

16. HailStorm

A TSA is several thousand dollars cheaper than a pilot's license, so I'm not complaining.

17. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

18. msinger

Approved Vendor

I guess if we weren't just a bunch of stupid Americans, we'd probably be able to decrypt that mess of sentence fragments :cool:

Sagebrush likes this.
  19. turbodronepilot

Some of you get it and some dont.. intelligence comes in different forms..don't judge someone on their grammar.. I suggest you look for the message in the post ,not how it was presented. ..I'm no dummy. . And I know bs when i hear it.. no matter how it's presented. ..also I wish I was more tech savvy because I would post the video. .. was hoping someone else would....

20. mad in nc

Outside of spending the money it's no big deal to get TSA checked...

In 30 years I've put on over 5Mill air miles of travel. Since 9/11 when the TSA was born and security changed at the airports.

What I envision lis linked with the pre check approval as they call it. Four years ago the TSA came up with a "pre check" service for frequent fliers where they will run the background check on you, fingerprint, photo you and interview you to be accepted, and send $100. Once accepted you move through expedited lanes, no shoes off, no PC out etc... They qualified you as being a low risk. Also has the advantage of kiosk check in/ out at immigrations where the 1 hr wait is eliminated. You have to have a passport and cannot be a convicted felon.

If this is what is needed for an "operators" license I personally have no worries.