Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

TSA and airlines with my drone!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by robfalcon501, Oct 1, 2015.

1. robfalcon501

Hey guys, I need some last minute advice and guidance here. I'm taking my Phantom 3 Pro across the country to New Mexico on Saturday via Southwest Airlines. My backpack case fits the dimensions of their carry-on limits, so as of now I plan to carry it on. Should I put anything in my luggage though? Like the blades or anything that they may consider dangerous? I know I can't put the batteries in my luggage to go under deck because no one would be down there to put out the fire, worst case scenario. Anyone have experience with Southwest?? Any problems for anyone? Any advice or input is appreciated thanks.

2. P3ChinaSkies

Carry on the batteries. Each in a separate zip lock bag. Present them at security. Don't try to "sneak" them through. Other than that, they should have no problem taking your quad in its backpack as-is.

3. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

If you just carry everything in your backpack, you should have no worries.

Buckaye likes this.
  4. N017RW

Never taken with on SouthWest but no prods with TSA. I have a hardcase the exact carry-on dimensions and did not even have to open for TSA on a few occasions.
    No problems with effects from the millimeter-wave scanners either.

Flew 600 miles and did not even have to cal compass at destination or upon return home, YMMV!!!

#4 N017RW, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  5. tcope

I've flown my drone on Delta and Southwest several times. Only once did they pull me aside and swab everything. Took about 2 minutes at the most. Sent me on my way without any questions. No need to tell anyone about batteries... they see millions of lipo batteries every day. I just put my entire case on the x-ray machine.

Buckaye likes this.
  6. Buckaye

Both of these are my experience... I don't put the batteries in separate baggies or anything. They are starting to get used to seeing these things so the tend to at most swab them and send them on your way.... I have flown with as many as 5 batteries in the backpack and had no issue.

7. Oso

Oso

Are you intending to fly your P3 near this week's international balloon fiesta in Albuquerque?

8. robfalcon501

I didn't even know about the balloon fiesta, but that sounds interesting. Thanks for the help guys!

9. Oso

Oso

Oh you are in for a treat, and also crowds. Attendance will be in the hundreds of thousands. The Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta is the largest balloon event in the world. They do have strict no drone policies and a 3-4 mile radius no fly zone. That's why I was asking you about it. Cheers!

JoBe likes this.
  10. Cerone

Just flew from San Diego to Seattle and back with my P3 and 2 fully charged batteries. No issues at all. Security in Seattle did a quick swipe test on the bag but that's it.

11. dvachon

Flew MSP to Vegas and back with no questions. Battery remained installed in Quad. TSA doesn't work with particular airlines where there are several different ones in a gate section so it shouldn't matter which airline you fly at those airports.

12. Chuck Young

Oso likes this.
  13. N017RW

14. Waxings

What case do you have that fits all the dimensions?

15. N017RW

I'm away from the house but it's an inexpensive (<$100) faux aluminum (foil veneer over press-board) type.

Not one I would trust to be checked in but great for 'supervised' transportation.

16. markdizle

Took everything in my GPC bag recently, no problems getting through security. They are looking for organic material not batteries and propellers.

17. Chuck Young

You must have been flying out of Denver. Heheh

#17 Chuck Young, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  18. pittsy

I have flown many times with my P2V+ with 3 batteries. I have a pelican case that is airline size and have never been stopped by TSA. I don't take anything out, or have they ever asked me to open to check anything. I also always go through TSA PreCheck so that could be another reason why I never get asked.

19. snerd

I just flew in from Chicago................. and boy are my arms tired!!

Yuk Yuk Yuk!!!!

Thank you. Thank you very much. I'll be here all week.

20. markdizle

Haha indeed I was, Santa Ana to Denver