TSA and airlines with my drone!

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some last minute advice and guidance here. I'm taking my Phantom 3 Pro across the country to New Mexico on Saturday via Southwest Airlines. My backpack case fits the dimensions of their carry-on limits, so as of now I plan to carry it on. Should I put anything in my luggage though? Like the blades or anything that they may consider dangerous? I know I can't put the batteries in my luggage to go under deck because no one would be down there to put out the fire, worst case scenario. Anyone have experience with Southwest?? Any problems for anyone? Any advice or input is appreciated thanks.

Carry on the batteries. Each in a separate zip lock bag. Present them at security. Don't try to "sneak" them through. Other than that, they should have no problem taking your quad in its backpack as-is.

Never taken with on SouthWest but no prods with TSA. I have a hardcase the exact carry-on dimensions and did not even have to open for TSA on a few occasions.
No problems with effects from the millimeter-wave scanners either.

Flew 600 miles and did not even have to cal compass at destination or upon return home, YMMV!!!

Last edited:
I've flown my drone on Delta and Southwest several times. Only once did they pull me aside and swab everything. Took about 2 minutes at the most. Sent me on my way without any questions. No need to tell anyone about batteries... they see millions of lipo batteries every day. I just put my entire case on the x-ray machine.

Reactions: Buckaye
If you just carry everything in your backpack, you should have no worries.

I've flown my drone on Delta and Southwest several times. Only once did they pull me aside and swab everything. Took about 2 minutes at the most. Sent me on my way without any questions. No need to tell anyone about batteries... they see millions of lipo batteries every day. I just put my entire case on the x-ray machine.

Both of these are my experience... I don't put the batteries in separate baggies or anything. They are starting to get used to seeing these things so the tend to at most swab them and send them on your way.... I have flown with as many as 5 batteries in the backpack and had no issue.

Hey guys, I need some last minute advice and guidance here. I'm taking my Phantom 3 Pro across the country to New Mexico on Saturday via Southwest Airlines. My backpack case fits the dimensions of their carry-on limits, so as of now I plan to carry it on. Should I put anything in my luggage though? Like the blades or anything that they may consider dangerous? I know I can't put the batteries in my luggage to go under deck because no one would be down there to put out the fire, worst case scenario. Anyone have experience with Southwest?? Any problems for anyone? Any advice or input is appreciated thanks.
Are you intending to fly your P3 near this week's international balloon fiesta in Albuquerque?

I didn't even know about the balloon fiesta, but that sounds interesting. Thanks for the help guys!

I didn't even know about the balloon fiesta, but that sounds interesting. Thanks for the help guys!
Oh you are in for a treat, and also crowds. Attendance will be in the hundreds of thousands. The Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta is the largest balloon event in the world. They do have strict no drone policies and a 3-4 mile radius no fly zone. That's why I was asking you about it. Cheers!

Reactions: JoBe
Just flew from San Diego to Seattle and back with my P3 and 2 fully charged batteries. No issues at all. Security in Seattle did a quick swipe test on the bag but that's it.

Flew MSP to Vegas and back with no questions. Battery remained installed in Quad. TSA doesn't work with particular airlines where there are several different ones in a gate section so it shouldn't matter which airline you fly at those airports.

Never taken with on SouthWest but no prods with TSA. I have a hardcase the exact carry-on dimensions and did not even have to open for TSA on a few occasions.
No problems with effects from the millimeter-wave scanners either.

Flew 600 miles and did not even have to cal compass at destination or upon return home, YMMV!!!

What case do you have that fits all the dimensions?

I'm away from the house but it's an inexpensive (<$100) faux aluminum (foil veneer over press-board) type.

Not one I would trust to be checked in but great for 'supervised' transportation.

Took everything in my GPC bag recently, no problems getting through security. They are looking for organic material not batteries and propellers.

Took everything in my GPC bag recently, no problems getting through security. They are looking for organic material not batteries and propellers.

You must have been flying out of Denver. Heheh

Last edited:
I have flown many times with my P2V+ with 3 batteries. I have a pelican case that is airline size and have never been stopped by TSA. I don't take anything out, or have they ever asked me to open to check anything. I also always go through TSA PreCheck so that could be another reason why I never get asked.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik