Trying to go FPV...a few questions

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am a new member and I am looking for some help.

I have the Phantom v.1.1.1 with the following upgrades:

ZenMuse Gimbal
DJI upgrade board
Go Pro camera.

I just recieved my immersion 600mw vTx and I was wondering if I could direct solder it to the battery lead wires which connect directly to the upgrade board? I assume this would be ok?

Also, since I run the ZenMuse Gimbal and there is not a lot of space to mount the vTx underneath, where do you suggest a good mounting place would be?

Thank you!!!

tpawyant said:
I just recieved my immersion 600mw vTx and I was wondering if I could direct solder it to the battery lead wires which connect directly to the upgrade board? I assume this would be ok?

Yep, as long as you connect the right cables. The 4-strand cable (brown/red/brown/yellow) output cable that came with your upgrade board can provide video and power to your Immersion Tx. The yellow lead and one brown lead on that cable should be connected to the yellow and black video input leads on the Tx. The red and other brown lead on the cable should be connected to the power input plug on (red/black) on the Tx. Just be sure to NOT connect anything to the red lead that's on the same plug on the Tx as the video...that sends power OUT from the transmitter, it's used for FPV cameras that need a separate power supply.

Most people mount the Immersion (or any other) Tx on the bottom of the Phantom, behind the gimbal, sticking out the back or sides. This option is one way to do it: https://www.shapeways.com/model/1528123 ... ttery.html

OI Photography said:
Yep, as long as you connect the right cables. The 4-strand cable (brown/red/brown/yellow) output cable that came with your upgrade board can provide video and power to your Immersion Tx. The yellow lead and one brown lead on that cable should be connected to the yellow and black video input leads on the Tx. The red and other brown lead on the cable should be connected to the power input plug on (red/black) on the Tx. Just be sure to NOT connect anything to the red lead that's on the same plug on the Tx as the video...that sends power OUT from the transmitter, it's used for FPV cameras that need a separate power supply.

Most people mount the Immersion (or any other) Tx on the bottom of the Phantom, behind the gimbal, sticking out the back or sides. This option is one way to do it: https://www.shapeways.com/model/1528123 ... ttery.html

Thank you....but I am now having an issue of getting the 4 phillips head micro screws out of each arm to release the top shell...I hate these little screws. I do not want to strip them. :)

Regarding the wires, I was just going to keep it simple. The vTx came with a red/black wire with a JST end. I was going to cut the JST end and direct solder the wire to where the main batter lead wires connect to the upgrade board. Red with Red, and Black to Grey. Would that work? If I can get the for screws out that is....grrrr.

tpawyant said:
Regarding the wires, I was just going to keep it simple. The vTx came with a red/black wire with a JST end. I was going to cut the JST end and direct solder the wire to where the main batter lead wires connect to the upgrade board. Red with Red, and Black to Grey. Would that work? If I can get the for screws out that is....grrrr.

Yep, that will work...but it'll mean running an extra cable in to the shell, when the one your video is on already has power leads on it. Either way will work, it's totally up to you :)

OI Photography said:
Yep, that will work...but it'll mean running an extra cable in to the shell, when the one your video is on already has power leads on it. Either way will work, it's totally up to you :)

Ok..that is interesting....So, what you are saying is that that GoPro wire http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=165_74&products_id=1296 can be used to power the vTx? I assume I can disconnect the Ground (Brown) and 5V (Red) from the GoPro end (Connector) and re-route them to the Red (Battery) and Grey (Battery lead) and the Immersion will have power?

Go Pro Wire Schematics:
Brown: Ground
Red: 5V
Orange: Video
White: Audio

I would love to save some weight by eliminating a wire and I really DO NOT care if the Phantom powers the GoPro...the battery in the GoPro last me.

Thanks for further clarification.

PS: I got the screws out...I just needed a larger handle screwdriver. :)

Forget soldering!
$12 will make it a snap.
Buy the FPV hub.
Match the cables to the proper plug and you're done.

Suwaneeguy said:
Forget soldering!
$12 will make it a snap.
Buy the FPV hub.

How hard is it to install the hub itself though? Does it require soldering? Also, do you have a link on where to purchase?

I have a Phantom 1.1.1 as well, but do not have the upgrade board. I have FPV equipment in transit to me as we speak! (Immersion 600 mw tx, boscam lcd, immersionrc patch antenna and pair of spironets)

tpawyant said:
Ok..that is interesting....So, what you are saying is that that GoPro wire http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=165_74&products_id=1296 can be used to power the vTx? I assume I can disconnect the Ground (Brown) and 5V (Red) from the GoPro end (Connector) and re-route them to the Red (Battery) and Grey (Battery lead) and the Immersion will have power?

Go Pro Wire Schematics:

I would love to save some weight by eliminating a wire and I really DO NOT care if the Phantom powers the GoPro...the battery in the GoPro last me.

No....when using the Zenmuse gimbal, you don't/can't use that gopro video cable you linked there. The Zenmuse feeds the gopro's video to the Phantom's mainboard. From there, the P2 has an output cable (brown/yellow/brown/red) that can feed video AND power to your Immersion Tx. One cable going into the Phantom from the Zenmuse, then one cable coming out to the Tx.

Suwaneeguy said:
Forget soldering!
$12 will make it a snap.
Buy the FPV hub.

The hub won't eliminate soldering in this case as there's no native cable for it that connects directly to the Immersion vTx.

Also, the P2 already has the ports/cables it needs for this installation, the hub doesn't add anything useful here.

kydan said:
Suwaneeguy said:
Forget soldering!
$12 will make it a snap.
Buy the FPV hub.

How hard is it to install the hub itself though? Does it require soldering? Also, do you have a link on where to purchase?

I have a Phantom 1.1.1 as well, but do not have the upgrade board. I have FPV equipment in transit to me as we speak! (Immersion 600 mw tx, boscam lcd, immersionrc patch antenna and pair of spironets)

I looked at the hub and if you do not have the upgrade board, it will make your life much simpler, however, your phantom will weigh more. With the Upgrade board, you do not need to use the GCU or PMU that comes with the gimbal. The Gimbal plugs right into the upgrade board.

With all the being said, I do not think you need the upgrade board to setup your FPV. The only thing you will need is power from the phantom to power the Immersion device.

OI Photography said:
tpawyant said:

Go Pro Wire Schematics:

No....when using the Zenmuse gimbal, you don't/can't use that gopro video cable you linked there. The Zenmuse feeds the gopro's video to the Phantom's mainboard. From there, the P2 has an output cable (brown/yellow/brown/red) that can feed video AND power to your Immersion Tx. One cable going into the Phantom from the Zenmuse, then one cable coming out to the Tx.

Suwaneeguy said:
Forget soldering!
$12 will make it a snap.
Buy the FPV hub.

The hub won't eliminate soldering in this case as there's no native cable for it that connects directly to the Immersion vTx.

Also, the P2 already has the ports/cables it needs for this installation, the hub doesn't add anything useful here.

Now you have really confused me. I understand the cable from the gimbal to the upgrade board providing the power to the GoPro and video up to the main board. What I am confused on is the wire you are referring to send the video from the upgrade board to the Immersion device and the other wires from the upgrade board to power the Immersion device. Do you have a pic or can you link a pic here?

If you are saying that I would not even need to use the GoPro cable because the gimbal wire is already sending the video to the upgrade board, then this is a plus (eliminate another wire). If I understand you correctly, all the wires would be inside the phantom and I just need to pull the video wire from the upgrade board to the Immersion and pull power and ground from the upgrade board to the Immersion. A pic would be great. Also, I only have the Phantom 1, not the 2.

tpawyant said:
If you are saying that I would not even need to use the GoPro cable because the gimbal wire is already sending the video to the upgrade board, then this is a plus (eliminate another wire). If I understand you correctly, all the wires would be inside the phantom and I just need to pull the video wire from the upgrade board to the Immersion and pull power and ground from the upgrade board to the Immersion. A pic would be great. Also, I only have the Phantom 1, not the 2.

Sorry, that was my fault, didn't mean to confuse you. The upgrade board for your P1 has the same output cable as the P2 comes with from the factory (the plug on the Phantom end is a little different, but that doesn't matter for this). The cable I'm talking about came in the package with the upgrade board, so it may or may not be plugged in to it already. But once you have it connected to the upgrade board.

The Zenmuse has a cable that goes into the Phantom and plugs in to the only 8-pin slot on the board. Right next to that slot is the slot that the output cable I'm talking about (power and video to your Tx) plugs in to.

The ports I'm talking about are in the top right of this pic:
phantom1_hack6.jpg

Note: in that pic it refers to the cable to the vTx as being a 3-pin cable (red/yellow/brown), but they later started shipping the boards with the 4-pin version of the cable...I got mine in Dec and it has the newer 4-pin cable (brown/red/brown/yellow). Whether you have the 4-pin or the 3-pin cable it will work fine...the only difference is two separate Ground (brown) leads vs one, and both will work for your install.

OI Photography said:
tpawyant said:

Sorry, that was my fault, didn't mean to confuse you. The upgrade board for your P1 has the same output cable as the P2 comes with from the factory (the plug on the Phantom end is a little different, but that doesn't matter for this). The cable I'm talking about came in the package with the upgrade board, so it may or may not be plugged in to it already. But once you have it connected to the upgrade board.

The Zenmuse has a cable that goes into the Phantom and plugs in to the only 8-pin slot on the board. Right next to that slot is the slot that the output cable I'm talking about (power and video to your Tx) plugs in to.

The ports I'm talking about are in the top right of this pic:
phantom1_hack6.jpg

Note: in that pic it refers to the cable to the vTx as being a 3-pin cable (red/yellow/brown), but they later started shipping the boards with the 4-pin version of the cable...I got mine in Dec and it has the newer 4-pin cable (brown/red/brown/yellow). Whether you have the 4-pin or the 3-pin cable it will work fine...the only difference is two separate Ground (brown) leads vs one, and both will work for your install.

Awesome..that make sense now...but OF COURSE I do not have that cable now!! GRRRRR. I might just hand solder the wires to the pins.

Is the order of wires from left to right as follows: (brown/red/brown/yellow) when looking down at the phantom with the battery door facing you? If so, I could solder (Brown1 and red to the power of the immersion) and (Yellow and Brown 2 to the video connector. If you have your wire, could you tell me what pins what color is gets soldered to? going from left to right? IE: Brown#1 to pin #1, Red to pin #2, etc.

I wonder if Radio Shack would carry the white connector piece?

Then I would not need to use the GoPro wire they supplied me.

Does this sound correct?

Never mind about my question about the pin placement...I found the wire...it was in my gimbal box...not the upgrade board box! Woot...I am on my way!!

So, to confirm with your method, I do NOT need to use the GoPro wire they supplied me correct?

Bingo :) In fact, if you connect that gopro cable to the gopro while in the Zenmuse the gimbal will probably go in to sleep mode.

Here's a pic of the 4-strand cable connected to my upgrade board so you can see the right place (note: I don't have the cable connected to video Tx, this is just for demonstration):
B8BWIzIl.jpg

OI Photography said:
Bingo :) In fact, if you connect that gopro cable to the gopro while in the Zenmuse the gimbal will probably go in to sleep mode.

Here's a pic of the 4-strand cable connected to my upgrade board so you can see the right place (note: I don't have the cable connected to video Tx, this is just for demonstration):
B8BWIzIl.jpg

Beautiful!!! Time to warm up the soldering iron!!

This is great...I am saving weight too.....You are da Man Ol Photo!

tpawyant said:

No problem! I only happen to know about this from installing the upgrade board in my P1->P1.5 conversion (notice in that pic that I have P1 guts inside a P2 shell).

OI Photography said:
tpawyant said:

No problem! I only happen to know about this from installing the upgrade board in my P1->P1.5 conversion (notice in that pic that I have P1 guts inside a P2 shell).

I did...I WOULD love to do that to get more flying time with the larger battery. Was it hard? Did you have a website that you found simple instructions?

tpawyant said:
OI Photography said:

B8BWIzIl.jpg

Quick question...do I need the brown ground for the video connection? I know I need the ground for the power...but do I also need it for the video?

tpawyant said:
I did...I WOULD love to do that to get more flying time with the larger battery. Was it hard? Did you have a website that you found simple instructions?

I wouldn't call them "easy"...it's a bit of a project, but it's fun if you have the skill: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7017

Other than just migrating the P1 parts to the new shell (which is pretty easy, the P2 shell has the necessary mounting posts and screw holes for the P1 upgrade board), you'll also need to worry about:

-Battery door (that thread has some awesome 3D-printed options for that)
-LED...since the P2 battery does some of the LED notifications, you'll need to migrate your P1 LED as well, there's options for that in there too
-Batteries. 2 stock lipos from the P1 will fit in the P2 bay almost perfectly, and there's some single-batt options that can be used with a little trimming of the battery bay.

Everything you should need to know is in that thread, but as you can see there's a lot of info in there. Feel free to join that discussion, or let me know if you have any questions about it.

Here's a better pic of my final internal arrangement:
DGpLTkvl.jpg

(There's also cabling for a Flytrex board there, I have it tucked down in the side of the battery bay)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1