Trying to fall in love again

Reaction score
In November, I got a Phantom 1.1 that flew flawlessly. Since it's cold here in Minnesota, I didn't get to fly it much, but any day above 20 had me out with it.

Never had any jello issues with my GoPro Hero 3 Silver - everything was amazing. So much fun!

Then at the end of December, I was flying around and over fishhouses on a nearby lake, when she took off on me, up, up and away until it was a speck. Eventually it disappeared, never to be seen again. With GoPro attached.

There's no quitting this cold turkey. Unlike most addicts, I didn't steal anything to get my next fix. I saved, and used birthday money (thanks, mom!) to first replace my GoPro with a Hero 3+ Silver.

After negotiations with DJI and B&H, I got a v1.1.1 for half price. Seemed like the best they would do, and I accepted. It came a week ago.

The weather is finally spectacular today (sunny and 30 after 30+ days below zero).

So I've been flying my new bird, and it seems like my first Phantom's very ugly stepsister.

The first flight I knew SOMETHING was wrong as it immediately headed LEFT. Brought her in and checked everything out. Turned out the controller needed calibrating.

Fixed that. Next flight, I'm in the air! Single flashing green, good GPS locks...but this thing does NOT hover like my 1.1 did. This Phantom is happy to drift 3-4 feet either direction. And it moves up and down a foot or two. It doesn't toiletbowl, nor does it rotate, it just wants to move all over. My first Phantom just hung there in the air.

I have compass danced and calibrated IMU basic and advance many times. All compass and GPS readings in the software are within spec.

I think I could live with that drifting (once I get used to it) but now I'm seeing that video from this bird is HORRIBLY jello-laden. I almost expect Bill Cosby to come by.

After my great experiences with the 1.1 and GoPro Hero 3 (NOT Plus), I'm wondering if it's the props, or the bird, or the Hero 3+, or a combination of all.

Sigh. It feels like there's a monkey on my back just doing everything he can to keep me from relaxing and just enjoying the dang thing.

So, is prop balancing probably my first step in trying to eliminate Jello? Or trying that Moon Gel stuff first?

Does frame rate matter? I've shot 30, 60, and 120 and all seem crappy.

If I upgraded to carbon props, do they come balanced already?

Any advice anyone could offer would be much appreciated.

It might help to load the defaults file from the download section on the DJI site and press every default button in the tools screen of the Assistant. Then set Tx to D-Bus and do all calibrations. Tx, IMU Basic and Advanced and compass and let it get a GPS fix. Then in the field do another compass calibration before you fly it.

You might get a more accurate position hold if you increase the Basic Gain for Pitch and Roll. Use 150 and see whether it makes a difference.

I agree w/Ben reload defaults and do the cals again. Re: Prop balancing - Yes it makes a world of difference. I was in that school of "hell these things are plastic - don't weigh much" - until I did it compliments of local hooby shop. Diff of night & day.

The replies above are from folks way more knowledgeable than myself. That said I don't know what firmware version your 1.1 was on but my 1.1.1 is on 4.02 and I would not call the hover stable. It is not awful really just not rock steady. This is a complaint I have read about 4.02. I am assuming that your 1.1.1 is on 4.02. If it is on 4.0 then ignore everything I said. I have read many posts where folks have downgraded from 4.02 back to 4.0 claiming 4.0 provides a more stable hover. 4.02 seemed to fix the geo fencing feature where you can set a max limit in your Phantom. I am sure they felt there were other fixes but whatever they did seemed to affect hover in GPS and Altitude hold. My 1.1.1 can drift up, down and around. Just a few feet but definitely not locked in even in near zero wind.

After all of the updating etc definitely balance the props. I found that six of the factory props provided were pretty decent. Two were definitely out of balance.

NEVER give up on love! :mrgreen:

Not to be a cop out, but you shouldn't have to mess with anything, its brand new. Regardless of price, the point is, its new. I would let the seller know its on its way back to him and they should rectify it for you (send you a new one). No reason in hell I would put up with it. The more you touch it, the faster it voids any warranty. Just send it back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31