Trying to decide if I want to upgrade to the P4Pro

Reaction score
I do a lot of still photography and I have a P4 that I am really happy with. I have been looking at some of the examples of the P4Pro and I am not sure I see enough reason to pay the $$ for an upgrade. I do about 10% video and 90% stills. I understand that they dynamic range is better, but if I shoot RAW and bracket I get pretty good dynamic range with the P4. What I would LOVE is a camera with a bit of zoom, because there are times I don't want a real wide angle to my shots. Perhaps something like what the new iPhone 7 Plus has, since it is so lightweight.

Thoughts from photographers?

I do a lot of still photography and I have a P4 that I am really happy with. I have been looking at some of the examples of the P4Pro and I am not sure I see enough reason to pay the $$ for an upgrade. I do about 10% video and 90% stills. I understand that they dynamic range is better, but if I shoot RAW and bracket I get pretty good dynamic range with the P4. What I would LOVE is a camera with a bit of zoom, because there are times I don't want a real wide angle to my shots. Perhaps something like what the new iPhone 7 Plus has, since it is so lightweight.

Thoughts from photographers?
The raw files you get from the pro are much better than the 4. Dynamic range, resolution and quality overall is vastly improved. If you bracket, you will be able to get the same dynamic range with the 4 but the process is of course much more involved.

Best advise is to have a look at the samples and see if it is worth the cost.

Note that there is substantial noise (especially color) even at iso100, but easily correctable in e.g. Lightroom.

Like you, I'm also mainly, almost totally, a still photographer. The jump from the much smaller P4 sensor to the significantly larger P4P sensor is like going from a cellphone camera to a real camera; i.e., huge. The P4P has a 1" sensor which is almost 3 times larger and 20 megapixels. You can do some real photography with this baby. I'm assuming you're using Lightroom and Photoshop?

However, I would agree with you about the zoom lens issue. Not sure why all these drones have to have extremely wide-angle lenses. My next drone will be the Inspire 2; here I can finally get into some real lenses, along with even a larger sensor, the 4/3 system.

Droning, at this early stage, is really about flying; I think you'll see the next phase, the photographic, really advance within the next year. Personally, I'd love to be able to attach my Canon 5Ds to my P4P, but I can't see that happening soon [emoji23].

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

1-inch sensor on the P4 Pro and Pro+ is an absolute killer. So much more detail in the imaging than the standard P4. We've been hearing so much great feedback (mainly from professional users) thus far on the P4 Pro.

I'm in the same boat. 95% stills with my P4. I'm pretty sure I'm pulling the trigger tonight on a P4P from B&H.
Not sure if you've bought from BH before for DJI but I never will again. You have to deal with a 3rd party for return or DOA or exchange etc. And it's terrible. I bought an OSMO back on dec 26. It arrived DOA. I still don't have a working osmo. First I had to wait for bhphoto to respond with RMA info. At which point I had to contact the 3rd party myself, BH doesn't do that for you. It then took another two days before I finally heard back from the 3rd party who said they were giving me a return label. That took yet another day. The 3rd party company should receive my OSMO Monday, finally, a full two weeks after my osmo was ordered. Then I get to wait another 3-5 days while they process my RMA.

Yea BH is normally good, but not for DJI stuff. I will never buy Dji from BH again.

Not sure if you've bought from BH before for DJI but I never will again. You have to deal with a 3rd party for return or DOA or exchange etc. And it's terrible. I bought an OSMO back on dec 26. It arrived DOA. I still don't have a working osmo. First I had to wait for bhphoto to respond with RMA info. At which point I had to contact the 3rd party myself, BH doesn't do that for you. It then took another two days before I finally heard back from the 3rd party who said they were giving me a return label. That took yet another day. The 3rd party company should receive my OSMO Monday, finally, a full two weeks after my osmo was ordered. Then I get to wait another 3-5 days while they process my RMA.

Yea BH is normally good, but not for DJI stuff. I will never buy Dji from BH again.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I wonder if picking up locally and having to pay ~$135 in tax is worth it if I have to return it?

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I wonder if picking up locally and having to pay ~$135 in tax is worth it if I have to return it?
Advexure and Florida drone supply are reasonable options. Both seems to have fast support for out of the box or DOA issues. But advexure probably has to charge CA tax since they are in CA.

Advexure and Florida drone supply are reasonable options. Both seems to have fast support for out of the box or DOA issues. But advexure probably has to charge CA tax since they are in CA.

Appreciate the support, @F3honda4me. As far as DOA goes, all DOA issues are handled in house per our DOA clause in our Return Policy. I just saw a forum member here on PP comment on a DOA Osmo he had received from Advexure. I will share his feedback below:

Rom3oDelta7.jpeg

@Kman Please don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of any assistance. You can reach our Support Team by phone at (855) 625-2055, live chat at Advexure.com or by email at [email protected]

Reactions: F3honda4me

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31