Trying to calm myself after this mornings expereince.

Reaction score
This morning I had a very upsetting experience with an R/C flier.

I was behind the local Middle School, doing my normal orbital flight training, when a guy pulled up and he and his wife asked me all kinds of questions about my P2V+. I also had my Radian Park Flyer on the ground because I intended to fly it right after the two P2V batteries were depleted. This is a wide open area that's awesome for powered gliders, which I love more than any other platform. Since I was within three minutes of my Quad battery dying, I landed it and then, put my Radian together for flight.

They both seemed to be extremely friendly people. I had no reason to expect what happened.

This guy is big. I'm 6'2" and 220lbs. I'm not exactly fat, but I'm not a "built" guy either. This guy was about 4" taller and perhaps 75lbs heavier. Reminded me of my 190lb days when I was pretty cut and defined. About 10 years younger than I.

He brings out this highly repaired THING. No way to know what it was originally. Shrink wrapped wings and fuselage to reinforce the strength of the Styrofoam. An ingenious use of such material I will admit. Had a wingspan of roughly 5'. Twin electric engines. It flew very well from what I saw. But then, a couple of Red Tailed Hawks came into our area. Lofting on thermals, doing their normal hunt flying. This ******* laughs when he sees them and starts climbing towards them with his plane.

My Radian was about 200' up and 500' away from me. I made the decision to bring her home because the Hawks were getting very irritated by their flight. My plane has a wingspan of 78.7". A length of 44.7". It looks huge, but is only 30oz in flying trim. So it is noticed.

This guy starts chasing one of the Hawks. He is laughing the whole time. His plane is very agile and powerful. He causes the Hawk to make some very panicked moves. The other Hawk flew away. This one was trying to but this jerk was harassing it. So I made a sudden decision to harass HIM with my returning Radian. I flew it around his plane when I could. He was laughing. So I chose to return to the field and fly it within very close distance of him and his wife.

He suddenly yells, "WTF are doing? You almost hit us!!!"

He is right. I almost did. But luckily, I missed them both. My Radian doesn't have the power his plane had and it went into a brief high power/high speed turn stall I was able to recover from by leveling the wings. Which is why it came so close to them. About 20' away and at 10' altitude. Which with over 6' wings, appeared to be much closer.

I brought her in for a rough landing. No damage done, but not the best I've managed in the past. He lands his aircraft about 45 seconds later and comes stomping over to me, screaming at me asking what I thought I was doing.

Calmly, I looked at him and said, "I was doing the same thing to you that YOU were doing to that Hawk you F'ing *******! How does that **** FEEL?"

His wife starts laughing now. She says something about how she has told him not to mess with birds in the past, how it would feel to HIM if he were harassed.

He made some threats of physical violence and I simply, calmly said, "I would GREATLY enjoy it if you did big guy. That would be another lesson I'd teach you today." My 85lb Chocolate lab, the one seen in my Avatar, was going batshit crazy growling and barking. He was tied by his leash to the back of my vehicle.

Man, I was barely containing my fury at that point. When I get pissed off, I get calm as hell on the outside, but sheer FURY is going on inside. Like a tornado in full swing. I just wanted this prick to take ONE more step towards me.

Luckily, he didn't. He became suddenly shy acting. Like he had been caught kicking a cat or something. His wife? She was PISSED at him and very apologetic towards me. I find it hard to believe she would have come there knowing he was the type to do that kind of ****. Perhaps he was having a HUGE lapse in judgement and had never done it before. But his glee, demonstrated by his laughter while chasing that Hawk, tends to make me think otherwise.

I'm sitting here wishing I had kicked the **** out of him. My anger is still boiling red hot over this event. I got his tag number and have already reported him to the local Ranger Station since technically, this is a National Forest where animals are protected. I wish I had flown the Radian first and the Quad second so I could have gotten video of his behavior. Right now, it's just my word against his and, unless his wife were to voice against him, he will get away with it.

Not only am I disappointed in his actions, but my own.

We are a passionate bunch as I read posts on our listserve. Takes more bullocks to write that last sentence than anything else you wrote. When I used to get really ticked my dad would say, "you are letting that idiot live rent free in your head!" Now that you've gone through that next time it won't be so bad. I will take from your story maybe to land, take the tag number, call it in, and even when mad keep my power by keeping control. Thanks for some great lessons and some real honesty!

Sent from my PT beating heart

You did enough. You gave him a dose of his own medicine.
Anything more would have gone criminal, not worth it.

Reactions: BlackHawk388
This morning I had a very upsetting experience with an R/C flier.

I was behind the local Middle School, doing my normal orbital flight training, when a guy pulled up and he and his wife asked me all kinds of questions about my P2V+. I also had my Radian Park Flyer on the ground because I intended to fly it right after the two P2V batteries were depleted. This is a wide open area that's awesome for powered gliders, which I love more than any other platform. Since I was within three minutes of my Quad battery dying, I landed it and then, put my Radian together for flight.

They both seemed to be extremely friendly people. I had no reason to expect what happened.

This guy is big. I'm 6'2" and 220lbs. I'm not exactly fat, but I'm not a "built" guy either. This guy was about 4" taller and perhaps 75lbs heavier. Reminded me of my 190lb days when I was pretty cut and defined. About 10 years younger than I.

He brings out this highly repaired THING. No way to know what it was originally. Shrink wrapped wings and fuselage to reinforce the strength of the Styrofoam. An ingenious use of such material I will admit. Had a wingspan of roughly 5'. Twin electric engines. It flew very well from what I saw. But then, a couple of Red Tailed Hawks came into our area. Lofting on thermals, doing their normal hunt flying. This ******* laughs when he sees them and starts climbing towards them with his plane.

My Radian was about 200' up and 500' away from me. I made the decision to bring her home because the Hawks were getting very irritated by their flight. My plane has a wingspan of 78.7". A length of 44.7". It looks huge, but is only 30oz in flying trim. So it is noticed.

This guy starts chasing one of the Hawks. He is laughing the whole time. His plane is very agile and powerful. He causes the Hawk to make some very panicked moves. The other Hawk flew away. This one was trying to but this jerk was harassing it. So I made a sudden decision to harass HIM with my returning Radian. I flew it around his plane when I could. He was laughing. So I chose to return to the field and fly it within very close distance of him and his wife.

He is right. I almost did. But luckily, I missed them both. My Radian doesn't have the power his plane had and it went into a brief high power/high speed turn stall I was able to recover from by leveling the wings. Which is why it came so close to them. About 20' away and at 10' altitude. Which with over 6' wings, appeared to be much closer.

I brought her in for a rough landing. No damage done, but not the best I've managed in the past. He lands his aircraft about 45 seconds later and comes stomping over to me, screaming at me asking what I thought I was doing.

Calmly, I looked at him and said, "I was doing the same thing to you that YOU were doing to that Hawk you F'ing *******! How does that **** FEEL?"

His wife starts laughing now. She says something about how she has told him not to mess with birds in the past, how it would feel to HIM if he were harassed.

He made some threats of physical violence and I simply, calmly said, "I would GREATLY enjoy it if you did big guy. That would be another lesson I'd teach you today." My 85lb Chocolate lab, the one seen in my Avatar, was going batshit crazy growling and barking. He was tied by his leash to the back of my vehicle.

Man, I was barely containing my fury at that point. When I get pissed off, I get calm as hell on the outside, but sheer FURY is going on inside. Like a tornado in full swing. I just wanted this prick to take ONE more step towards me.

Luckily, he didn't. He became suddenly shy acting. Like he had been caught kicking a cat or something. His wife? She was PISSED at him and very apologetic towards me. I find it hard to believe she would have come there knowing he was the type to do that kind of ****. Perhaps he was having a HUGE lapse in judgement and had never done it before. But his glee, demonstrated by his laughter while chasing that Hawk, tends to make me think otherwise.

I'm sitting here wishing I had kicked the **** out of him. My anger is still boiling red hot over this event. I got his tag number and have already reported him to the local Ranger Station since technically, this is a National Forest where animals are protected. I wish I had flown the Radian first and the Quad second so I could have gotten video of his behavior. Right now, it's just my word against his and, unless his wife were to voice against him, he will get away with it.

Not only am I disappointed in his actions, but my own.

Because you didn't kick his *** or because you realized flying your plane at him was a stupid move?

Were you carrying at the time?

Because you didn't kick his *** or because you realized flying your plane at him was a stupid move?

Were you carrying at the time?

Both. I wanted him to feel as helpless as that Hawk must have felt.

And no, I wasn't carrying. The weapon was at home. I was on school grounds and had no intention of going anywhere but to the school and directly back home. Stupidity isn't something I partake in on a regular basis. Although I WANTED to make a stupid decision and put this idiot in his place physically, I didn't. Just not worth it.

Both. I wanted him to feel as helpless as that Hawk must have felt.

And no, I wasn't carrying. The weapon was at home. I was on school grounds and had no intention of going anywhere but to the school and directly back home. Stupidity isn't something I partake in on a regular basis. Although I WANTED to make a stupid decision and put this idiot in his place physically, I didn't. Just not worth it.

I thought I knew the answer to the carry question when I typed it. Sometimes you just have to rely on karma to take care of the asshats. It usually does, eventually.

Being a good steward of the hobby goes beyond LOS and altitude. ;)

I thought I knew the answer to the carry question when I typed it. Sometimes you just have to rely on karma to take care of the asshats. It usually does, eventually.

Being a good steward of the hobby goes beyond LOS and altitude. ;)

You thought you might educate an ignorant person. I would have done the same. Just like these forums where we try to educate the ignorant or careless, I can greatly appreciate your looking out for a kindred spirit.

School grounds, whether in session or not, are prohibited areas for CC. As you well know. ;)

Yes. Karma might put that **** in his place at some point. Sometimes, I wonder if I would have been identified as Karma in a given instance. It just INFURIATES me when people mistreat animals. I'm no tree-hugger, mind you. But I've seen enough death and destruction in my life time to where I no longer tolerate mean spirited people. See enough humans turned inside out and you quickly learn to appreciate all forms of life. Well, except for mosquitoes. Those things can all kiss my ***.

:)

Reactions: Marlin009
I'm seeing so many wrongs I have to bite down hard, I know you are a strong man of principles Blacky but ....but...but. (I'm running away now ) (a little scared even)

I'm seeing so many wrongs I have to bite down hard, I know you are a strong man of principles Blacky but ....but...but. (I'm running away now ) (a little scared even)

I posted how wrong I was. You can say it and it won't offend nor anger me anymore than what I did to myself this morning.

It's quite the easy thing to allow anger to rule ones emotions and decisions. That is something that happens so rarely with me these days that this experience really did surprise me.

Call me a *******. Tell me how wrong I was. Trust me, it won't be any worse than what I've been doing to myself all day. While the guy flying his plane deserved some form of punishment, his wife certainly didn't. And it's abhorrent to me that I put her in danger as well as the idiot she's married too.

Neither one deserved my hissy fit over his actions.

You thought you might educate an ignorant person. I would have done the same. Just like these forums where we try to educate the ignorant or careless, I can greatly appreciate your looking out for a kindred spirit.

School grounds, whether in session or not, are prohibited areas for CC. As you well know. ;)

Yes. Karma might put that **** in his place at some point. Sometimes, I wonder if I would have been identified as Karma in a given instance. It just INFURIATES me when people mistreat animals. I'm no tree-hugger, mind you. But I've seen enough death and destruction in my life time to where I no longer tolerate mean spirited people. See enough humans turned inside out and you quickly learn to appreciate all forms of life. Well, except for mosquitoes. Those things can all kiss my ***.

I hear you on the animals. Great looking dog BTW. I miss mine, they are great dogs. Add noseeums to your list. :D

To me, Karma is a sneaky *****, comes out of nowhere. You can't do Karma, it just happens.

I used to have a '23 T-bucket. I let my brother drive it one day. Got a little heavy in the gas and spun it out on a corner. There were cars around but no damage to anything. Just scared the crap out of everyone. He was talking to some people making sure everyone was ok. Big biker dude comes up from behind and Sunday punches him in the pie hole. Laid him out, lost a few teeth. Big biker dude leaves.

A few years later we hear he wrecked his bike and took the handlebar through the chest, died.

Guessing biker dude already had some deposits in the account.

I hear you on the animals. Great looking dog BTW. I miss mine, they are great dogs. Add noseeums to your list. :D

To me, Karma is a sneaky *****, comes out of nowhere. You can't do Karma, it just happens.

I used to have a '23 T-bucket. I let my brother drive it one day. Got a little heavy in the gas and spun it out on a corner. There were cars around but no damage to anything. Just scared the crap out of everyone. He was talking to some people making sure everyone was ok. Big biker dude comes up from behind and Sunday punches him in the pie hole. Laid him out, lost a few teeth. Big biker dude leaves.

A few years later we hear he wrecked his bike and took the handlebar through the chest, died.

Guessing biker dude already had some deposits in the account.

I've experienced Karma in action a few times myself. I should know better than try and attempt to be Karma myself. I was just so thoroughly pissed at the situation I lost my head for a bit. These Hawks are such beautiful, wondrous creatures!

This has been a good lesson for me, as a 46 year old, to learn. Again!

You'd think by now I'd know better. But emotions often get the better of us. No excuse, but still, just being honest.

Reactions: Marlin009
I posted how wrong I was. You can say it and it won't offend nor anger me anymore than what I did to myself this morning.

It's quite the easy thing to allow anger to rule ones emotions and decisions. That is something that happens so rarely with me these days that this experience really did surprise me.

Call me a *******. Tell me how wrong I was. Trust me, it won't be any worse than what I've been doing to myself all day. While the guy flying his plane deserved some form of punishment, his wife certainly didn't. And it's abhorrent to me that I put her in danger as well as the idiot she's married too.

Neither one deserved my hissy fit over his actions.

Yes, the things I've said and done in ignorance of and to others is just dreadful through the years, only later on reflection of course which is to late. I'm not bringing the good/evil debate, just saying

As for Karma I don't believe in it, those that live there stupidity bring it back to them in that moment. They get the lives they live.
Karma is origin bound as well, which really negates it. It's the hopes of the victims

It also doesn't work on Quads (bastard suicidal things they are)

You can fly with me anytime.
And bring the dog, too. We'll burn through a few batteries then go for a beer. I'll buy.

My reply would have been: 'I don't miss'.

You can fly with me anytime.
And bring the dog, too. We'll burn through a few batteries then go for a beer. I'll buy.

My reply would have been: 'I don't miss'.

Thanks for your kind words. I'll buy the second round although, my pup would be returned home prior to such adventures. He trusts people even less than I do.

As for your reply, mine would have been a tad different were I so belligerently inclined. It would have sounded something like, "Had I of wished to hit you with my aircraft, you wouldn't be standing here bitching about "almost" being hit. So STFU."

I've learned one thing in my 40's. It hurts so much longer to be in physical combat. I'm not the 25 year old BJJ practicing badass I thought myself to be back then. Now, things hurt much more and those "hurts" last much longer. I may win the fight, but then I have to face the battle of recovery. I chose to no longer place myself in such situations unless the situation is WORTH such suffering.

Reactions: MDR
Considering the number of people who go out with their guns and shoot birds for the hell of it, chasing a bird with a slow moving rc plane hardly seems to be big issue.
It is always difficult in the heat of the moment, but letting the guy know your displeasure by explaining why it was wrong would have been the rational action.

A wise man once said - you can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails.

Flying around like that showing her little red tail. That hawk was asking for it.

I've learned one thing in my 40's. It hurts so much longer to be in physical combat. I'm not the 25 year old BJJ practicing badass I thought myself to be back then. Now, things hurt much more and those "hurts" last much longer. I may win the fight, but then I have to face the battle of recovery. I chose to no longer place myself in such situations unless the situation is WORTH such suffering.

I think Toby Keith has a song about that.... ;-)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj