Try not to laugh $33K worth of garbage.

Are they going to upload their flight log?:D

Flying near metal. Compass malfunction.

There is an app That can provide 3d mapping services on the phantom. The app is free, but there's some add on purchases for extra services, but I don't think it adds up to 35k.

Reactions: rkingsb353
Sabotaged by the bridge inspectors union? Seriously though, get your s together. That's why we fly phantoms and don't build our own. They mostly come back.

I can not find where taxpayers were or going to be charged.
All info that I can find, points to a demonstration by a drone manufacturer, where their drone crashed.
Big whoop!

Can your drone see into concrete?
but the specific drone that was used also had thermal imaging and gathered other data that the human eye couldn't," Cole said. "We could see behind the surface of the concrete...to see if there were any structural issues."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: QuadBart
I think there was a huge markup on that toy drone. Maybe they want to buy a bridge... laughing out loud

I'm trying to view the link via the iOS phantompilots app and it loads the page then clears it. Anyone else having issues with the latest release?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Yes, same here. Had to hold my finger on the screen then hit back button to scroll down each time, in other to read. Also screen wouldn't stay up long enough to load or watch the video

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I think you're headline is a bit inaccurate.... Government employees weren't flying the drone, the manufacturer (senseFly). It sounds like senseFly was providing a demonstration for the government and the media to try to get them to purchase one. So senseFly crashed their own drone. Not the best sales demo for their product.

I'm a little nervous as I have two of these suckers on order to do exactly this; inspect structures.

I can tell you why it's 30k however - it's got a 4 lens camera payload that does 38MP, regular, wide angle, IR, and near IR. and the camera can be rotated to point straight up, which only one other drone on the market can do.

I can also use the flight app and the built in ultrasonic sensors to hold a distance from an object and then fly left/right up/down to perform a bridge inspection. Also, FYI the bridge inspector controls the camera during the inspection, so there aren't any inspectors being put out of work here.

Well, they had 9 successful flights before the crash and finished the job. That's a plus.

The heckler's posting above, didn't even read, (or read but didn't comprehend), the link provided by the OP.
Kinda sad.

Anyway, I can't understand why some folks here, ^^^^ would cheer when a drone company has some misfortune?
No one here, on this forum, should ridicule someone/or a company, because of a crash.
It happens to everybody, sooner or later.

I'm sure you're OK with your investment.
Good luck with your business endeavors and drones. !

Last edited:
Visual inspection under a bridge with a drone is BS. You need qualified people with the right equipment to go and inspect the structure. You have to be close and know what your looking for. No way you can see a hairline crack or other structural strains in areas that realy matter. A drone may be able to count the birds nests and thats about it.

I call your bluff - at 38MP from a few feet away, sure you can. If you find something, or if you THINK you find something you'll need to get under there and inspect it directly/manually, but a snooper truck and traffic control to close a bridge, not to mention the economic losses of closing a bridge, are upwards of $25k. that almost justifies the cost of the drone in one flight. That's why these use a two up flyer configuration and the certified bridge inspector controls the camera.

But don't take my word for it -

Here's specs on the bird: albris: senseFly SA

And here's a crap ton of info on a pilot project: http://www.dot.state.mn.us/research/TS/2015/201540.pdf
Drones Used To Conduct Bridge Inspections in Minnesota | 2015-10-07 | ENR
Collins’ Drone Research Project with MnDOT Wins Award
Will drones transform bridge inspection?

Come on, take a minute if you can anymore and actually view the way the drone is built. Look at the prop guards... Besides the different colors, i have one just like it in my hangar. And it cost me less than 50 bucks. Unless this thing is huge, I dont believe it can do all what a concrete inspector can do. And let talk about the pilot. You say it was the same bridge worker... Does he have a UAV license?.. Could that be the reason the drone crashed?... I am sorry, but i dont believe this is real, or maybe someone got suckered.... just sayin'... And it is just my opinion... besides being a nerd and drone hobbyist, and in concrete construction, i know nothing.

I call your bluff - at 38MP from a few feet away, sure you can. If you find something, or if you THINK you find something you'll need to get under there and inspect it directly/manually, but a snooper truck and traffic control to close a bridge, not to mention the economic losses of closing a bridge, are upwards of $25k. that almost justifies the cost of the drone in one flight. That's why these use a two up flyer configuration and the certified bridge inspector controls the camera.

But don't take my word for it -

Here's specs on the bird: albris: senseFly SA

And here's a crap ton of info on a pilot project: http://www.dot.state.mn.us/research/TS/2015/201540.pdf
Drones Used To Conduct Bridge Inspections in Minnesota | 2015-10-07 | ENR
Collins’ Drone Research Project with MnDOT Wins Award
Will drones transform bridge inspection?

Tried

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31