Trump visits and NFZ

Reaction score
I happen to live a few miles from a Trump Golf Course that becomes a 30 mile NFZ every time Trump visits which he has threatened to do all summer long because Obama plays more golf. I already tolerated the 2 month NFZ zone over all of Northern NJ and NYC after he got elected but if this is going to be the whole summer I can't see the point in flying anymore. I know people complained of the 15 mile permanent NFZ around DC area but this seems like overkill.

Anyone else suffering a similar fate around Mar-A-Lago or other Trump "White Houses"?

EDIT: I included the a screen shot of the map in case anyone thinks I am exaggerating

upload_2017-5-5_8-47-51.png

I live about 10 miles south of Mar-a-Lago. I just fly my P2 instead around my property.
No way this would ever change my desire to fly r/c. Been doing it for 4 decades.

Reactions: BigAl07
Maybe it's his choice and that's just where he wants to go.
And let me say now if this gets to be a political rant.
It's over.

That does suck, but can't you just fly the 364 days per year he's NOT at that particular golf course? If it was permanent I'd feel your pain, but how often is that NFZ really in place? By what you've implied in your post, it's never even been active.

Maybe it's his choice and that's just where he wants to go.
And let me say now if this gets to be a political rant.
It's over.
I would never dream of it dirk. Just one pilot to another, that a 30 mile radius which covers basically everywhere I go and I commute up to 30 miles from work. A little excessive I feel and keeping my P4P lonely in its case.

That does suck, but can't you just fly the 364 days per year he's NOT at that particular golf course? If it was permanent I'd feel your pain, but how often is that NFZ really in place? By what you've implied in your post, it's never even been active.
This NFZ existed from the election until inauguration which was about 2 months and caused em to sell my old P3. It went away with him in DC but this should be all summer given his promise to visit the golf course regularly as its one of his favorites.
Here's what Trump did today at his golf club in Bedminster

@jcknows0 I posted a comment in regards to this the other day . I live in NJ and have also had this no fly zone over top of me . The DJI software does nothing to stop flight so , go fly buddy . I been out at cheesequake Park and there was a few other people there flying. I would suggest stay low ( no 400' flying just in case ) and still have fun. NJ is so riddled with small heliports , private airports etc... a lot of which aren't even in service anymore . Be smart and safe you can fly [emoji869]

@jcknows0 I posted a comment in regards to this the other day . I live in NJ and have also had this no fly zone over top of me . The DJI software does nothing to stop flight so , go fly buddy . I been out at cheesequake Park and there was a few other people there flying. I would suggest stay low ( no 400' flying just in case ) and still have fun. NJ is so riddled with small heliports , private airports etc... a lot of which aren't even in service anymore . Be smart and safe you can fly [emoji869]
I think by Cheesequake you are fine with this NFZ. I was actually on the Parkway Monday evening and contemplated flying at Cheesequake as it was a very nice "golden hour" but just didn't have much time. I generally ignore the small heliports littered all over here in the B4uFly app while still flying safe but given the current environment, I'm inclined to take a Secret Service NFZ pretty seriously and I'm not exaggerating when I say its 2 miles from my house. That's a 30 mile drive just to fly and I'm busy enough as it is. I know other says screw it and I've been fairly lucky flying at Liberty State Park and other high profile areas with no overstepping (just told to pack up and leave which I did) but this is a totally different animal. I'm really not trying to get on a soap box. I find it a little frustrating the NFZ over DC is only 15 miles and they are instituting a 30 mile (like a drone could even fly 10 miles!) Will be interesting how Amazon or other drone companies will ever be able to operate in this regulatory environment.

I would suggest that you adhere implicitly to any NFZ that is in place & active. You would be hard pressed to find a more prohibited airspace designation to fly in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Notam 293432 Bedninster seems to have expired a week ago, but airspace reads as restricted in B4UFly. Is that the same with other apps folks use?

Good to know its back (I almost flew this morning on way to work). I checked after the visit and they had removed the NFZ a few days later. Between the rain and these HUUUUUUGE NFZs its making NJ flying even worse than it normally is in such busy airspace.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31