True long range test

Absolutely correct. But there is an excitement to get the range computed.

Fun will start later to see who can achieve it.
That would be a fun experiment. I'd like to see what the range of the P3 is with the modified antennas and a standard battery. Running 2 controllers like you suggest would perhaps estimate the actual/practical range of the controller. So, which is more important: the range of the vehicle or the range of the controller. Checking the range of the vehicle could also determine which is the primary limitation on range - controller/signal or battery. If 2 controllers were used, then why not leapfrog them - change over control from the first to the second controller until the battery runs out. However, that doesn't get us to how far from a controller the max range is. Working out how to get 2 RCs connected to one P3 simultaneously would be a real challenge - but interesting.

If u want to test the range and not the battery then u can hover the aircraft and get someone in a car to take the rc to go as far as thy can wid signal.. That way battery not drained as much n safer

I have the DBS but the furthest I can get is just over 4km before the battery says it's time to come home even though signal is still 5by5... 8.5 miles is just crazy!

Reactions: Silverwingflinx
Today I flew 5.8 miles one way did my own battery mod I am using the Hyperion HV1800 they way 166 grams it was -6C today cold weather not much help.ohhh yeah that's with out booster I have both fpvlr and itelite antennas. I also use the boosters sometimes.in the future I will purchase the Hyperion HV 2400 203 grams.nanotech are heavy the 1800 weight 227 crap 1600 167 grams

Last edited:
Heeee heeee well I am thinking about using 4 x1800 batts 2 on each side 3600x3600xdji battery!!!!! But that is wishful thinking...seen posts of p3 lifting over 5lbs but like I say one crash it's over will have to buy a new one don't think so.

How are you achieving this 8 mile distance yes I know u have a battery mod what kind of lipos do you use.i have the nanotech 1600 and now I have Hyperion HV 1800 they both weight the same 167 grams next will be the Hyperion HV 2400 202 grams

I just ordered this kit for my Standard, from FPVCustoms. To get any kind of distance, will I need the battery mod too, or will the smart battery get me to far distances and back?

PHANTOM 3 STANDARD ADVANCED ANTENNA KIT INCLUDES PRIORITY SHIPPING

Looking at this:

DJI PHANTOM 3 SMART BATTERY MOD AND KIT WITH INCLUDES 2-3 DAY SHIPPING

I just ordered this kit for my Standard, from FPVCustoms. To get any kind of distance, will I need the battery mod too, or will the smart battery get me to far distances and back?

Looking at this:

There are posts in phantom pilots how to do battery mod I found it was very easy I have now modded 4 DJI batteries as far as battery mod goes fpv.customs will do next time u order batteries aircraftworld Hyperion HV battery 4 cell 1800 mah 167 grams or Hyperion HV 4 cell 2400 mah- 202 grams extra 1200mah the HV batts can be charged to 4.35 volts same as DJI battery and 10% more fly time..flysafe

Last edited:
that's not even close to the max range the only reason I had to go to a higher altitude was that I was flying over land. Today I went 34000 feet over water 100 foot of altitude the whole way. 10 miles would be nothing for it. I would love to do this test. As far as I know I have the record for 4 out and back on a phantom 3. I gotta think about how to do this but I know I can break this record too.
What kind of antenna are you using?Any boosters or not?

Hello I have been using FPVLR and itelite 32000feet so far.its cold here -6C so cant get good range.sometimes I do use my boosters but I have gone 32000 feet with out boosters.what kind of set up do you have.

There are posts in phantom pilots how to do battery mod I found it was very easy I have now modded 4 DJI batteries as far as battery mod goes fpv.customs will do next time u order batteries aircraftworld Hyperion HV battery 4 cell 1800 mah 167 grams or Hyperion HV 4 cell 2400 mah- 202 grams extra 1200mah the HV batts can be charged to 4.35 volts same as DJI battery and 10% more fly time..flysafe

I ended up ordering the smart battery mod and kit from fpvcustoms. Will the Nano-Tech 1600ma batteries be sufficient?

I've spent some money there, hopefully I can get these kits together and get good results with my Standard.
For the cost of the Standard along with the antenna mod and battery mod, I'm getting into the cost of a P3 Professional.

I got this HiTec 44165 charger and XT60 cable from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LH3392?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Yes that's what I was going to say your better off with p3A it has light bridge standard does not.the battery mod is worth it.i fly hard and fast best I get out of my p3 battery is 15 mins with mod 20-23 mins.i have 2 Dji batteries 1 is 140 charges 2 is 120 charges with battery mod I get a true 20 mins.that full throttle forward to 32000 feet then back again landing with still 20-30% battery I could go farther but I am breaking in the new batteries and it's cold here -8c so battery is not at its best can't wait until spring and see how far I can push it...fly safe

Yes as far as battery choices go Hyperion HV 4.35 volts per cell topped up to 17.1 Volts same as Dji battery,so when you hook them up Dji battery is not charging the lower volt battery they are the same...as far as choice goes I use the 1800HV 166 grams next will be 2400 HV 202 grams not much more weight than the 1800 and getting extra 1200 mah and let's not forget 10% more power.if you want HV fly safe

Do you think I'll be able to get a few miles with this kit? They're saying it can increase stock distance up to 5X. I understand it's no LightBridge, but could I get some distance?

32000ft is amazing, I know I won't get that kind of range!

Well for $375 it better get a few miles!

Meanwhile DBS Swarm is posting 3 and 4 mile flights for a hundred bucks. Without all that mess.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl