True Beginner

Reaction score
After seeing a fireworks show on the 4th where I also saw 2 quadcopters, my interest went thru the roof. So after a few weeks, hours of reading and video research I ordered a P3A. And because this forum appeared numerous times when I needed answers, I'd figured I'd just join and ask you all my out-the-box questions. Do I need to recalibrate the IMU and update the firmware before my 1st flight cause I've read negative stories about the new firmware

The first thing you need to do is buy a smaller quad for indoor use and practice, practice, practice!!

I absolutely LOVE the Husban X4!! An excellent machine. The next quad I went to was the Syma X5C. The X5C is capable of being flown indoors in a larger house or outside in winds up to 10mph ONCE you have some experience.

Even though I have hundreds of hours on fixed wing and helicopter R/C craft, the Quad's gave me a whole new appreciation for the hobby.

The IMU and Compass calibration I will give a resound YES! There are MANY Youtube Videos where you can learn so very much.

The firmware I will leave up to those who own that particular model.

I've had copters in the past just never any with video capability(I've also crashed one) nor any I would fly very high up. Thanks for the info and the Blackhawk reference was immediate as my dad is a vet.

I've had copters in the past just never any with video capability(I've also crashed one) nor any I would fly very high up. Thanks for the info and the Blackhawk reference was immediate as my dad is a vet.

What units did he serve in if you know? Feel free to PM me if you wish.

Just be aware of wind shear from nearby buildings and other structures. Also, mountainous terrain can also cause some amount of undesired performance/crashes. I can provide links should you wish them for your education.

If you take a very calm and cautious approach to this highly technical and, technically advanced hobby, you'll do very well. Sounds to me like you've got your head screwed on right already.

Good luck to you, sir.

Not sure what unit, he's been out for about 30 or so years. Any links would be appreciated as I've been an info junkie the last few weeks. And I've got a few open area fields in mind for my first few flights until I get comfortable with all the mechanics.

Not sure what unit, he's been out for about 30 or so years. Any links would be appreciated as I've been an info junkie the last few weeks. And I've got a few open area fields in mind for my first few flights until I get comfortable with all the mechanics.

Been a rough last couple of weeks. This heat often takes it out of me. So will take me a few more days before I get back to you.

Your father was a Vietnam Vet then. Like my Uncle, who flew MEDEVAC UH-1's and then, Attack UH-1's in Vietnam, it's a rather close knit community. I, like many of my brothers and sisters, consider all who have supported our Veterans as family. I can only give you my utmost appreciation man.My wife has been 110% behind me. Just as surely a proud American as anyone I've served with.

My son is now 22 years old and he is a Medic in the Army for going on three years. He has seen some of the very things he has heard me talk about since he was 18. When he thought he wanted to be in the Army and I was trying so hard to make him NOT want to be in. He went in anyway and instead of being a Blackhawk mechanic, he really didn't have the aptitude for it, he became a Medic. Which he has the patience I didn't have for THAT. job.

Now, he is within a few months of being a Medic on a Blackhawk. Funny how things change, but remain the same. Knowing what I do about MEDEVAC since that was the job I held in Iraq the last time I was there, I cannot help but worry about my best friend. My son. He and I have awesome times together. Fishing, hunting, flying R/C and so many other things. He has a brain for imagining the human body. I have one for the machine.

It's a weird convergence of ideals. Yet I could not be more proud!

My 25 year old daughter has chosen to be an officer where I, and her brother, were/are enlisted. She is a strong Military Police woman. No one in my family has gone that route. We've all been either Aviation or, Medical Service. She is like her mother. Takes her own route and damned be the man who thinks she's not strong enough. She's a Cross Fit BEAST.

OK, done with my proud father stuff. Get with me anytime I might be able to assist. I will climb the walls looking for a way to help.

Reactions: Grimfever
The first thing you need to do is buy a smaller quad for indoor use and practice, practice, practice!!

I completely and utterly disagree. Having previous experience with a regular quadcopter isn't really all that important. A regular quad and the P3A or P3P fly entirely differently. The P3P is so easy to fly in comparison. I have to laugh when I hear about people practicing to fly it. I practice it, but it's more about camera practice, good framing, slow steady speeds when recording, etc... The P3P isn't an acrobatic flyer, it's not meant for speed and fancy flying, it's for pictures and photos. Camera control, camera settings requires much more practice than flying it.

I completely and utterly disagree. Having previous experience with a regular quadcopter isn't really all that important. A regular quad and the P3A or P3P fly entirely differently. The P3P is so easy to fly in comparison. I have to laugh when I hear about people practicing to fly it. I practice it, but it's more about camera practice, good framing, slow steady speeds when recording, etc... The P3P isn't an acrobatic flyer, it's not meant for speed and fancy flying, it's for pictures and photos. Camera control, camera settings requires much more practice than flying it.

So what happens when you lose GPS for some reason and you're stuck with flying your $1000+ quad in what is close to ATTI mode?

Practicing with a non-GPS enabled quad will seriously give you an edge if and when a malfunction occurs with your high tech Quad. Practicing nose in is, IMO, critical for when you're filming close to objects with your expensive Quad. Using a small quad like the X4 inside can prepare you for many situations one may experience in the field. Turn on a ceiling fan and get a lot of first hand experience on what it will be like to fly a Quad outside in winds that could push it around.

You should keep in mind that you're flying a 3lb machine with four props spinning at speeds high enough to cut someone severely. IMHO, it's utterly irresponsible for an owner to be more concerned with filming than being well practiced on how to fly and being prepared for malfunctions that could result in a crash. No one should focus more on just one aspect of a tool like this. You need to be extremely well versed in ALL aspects of the Quad to be a safe yet effective flying videographer.

Good luck to you.

Even without GPS, the P3P still flys completely different than a regular quad, and as such practicing with a regular quad will not prepare you for flying a P3P. Again, it's not meant to be an acrobatic flyer. The best way to earn to control your P3P is don't do anything stupid with it.

Just because a Corvette is capable of making 1G+ turns and going 150+mph doesn't mean you cannot teach someone how to drive with it.

The X4 isn't a real acrobatic Quad anyway. But whatever works for you. You may not be able to see the benefits of practicing with a less expensive craft and that's fine. It's just a difference of opinion.

My P3A is already on its way so I won't really be able to use another quad. That being said, I'll still only be doing about 35 in my corvette guys. Besides I've got nothing but time and several large open areas. I mean who cares if you're only doing 35, it's still a Vet right.

I am a noobie to quadcopter as you are. I too got excited and bought the P3 with no experience. I have been doing small flights with now 15 flights under my belt.
Just practice before you do anything risky and watch for wind sheers as mentioned earlier.
Get blade guards. They are a must as I have bumped a few times and clearly saved my blades and possibly copter.
Mine required a firmware update out of the box. YouTube videos helped me through the process because it can be complex for those not tech savvy.
Hit me up if you have any other questions.

If you fly copters the phantom will be a walk in the park ;)
Welcome to the forum :D

Reactions: Grimfever

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik