Troubleshooting a P3P Board Fire

Yesterday, I swapped my Phantom 3 Pro OEM shell with a new OEM one that I had Richard Schade from Liqui-Schades Hydrographics paint for me. He made two from me a Red and Blue, both in carbon fiber mate. After carefully exchanging each part from the original shell to the new red CF shell, and double checking that everything was in its proper place and connections were correct, I inserted a battery and and powered it up to a bright blue flash and fire (see attached photos.

Does anyone know what part of the main board this is? The GPS antenna plus into the 5 pin connector next to the RN220 VTZ IC chip, you can see from the board photo there is no saving the main board so I plan to get a new one, just don’t know if I need to get a new GPS antenna, or anything else at the same time.

I have not made the shell exchange between my other P3P waiting to learn more about what cased this one.

As you can see I have removed the main board, leaving the engines and LEDs behind, I’m an engineer and have been building / flying these things for several years, but I don’t know anything about this board or can find a schematic for it, so by knowing more about what this IC does, I can figure out more about what caused this. When I took everything apart, I carefully, checked to make sure no wires were touching and have since inspected everything else looking for signs of overcurrent and have not found any other melted or burnt parts.

Also, where is the best place to buy parts?

Many thanks for reading...

View attachment 57476 View attachment 57477 View attachment 57478 View attachment 57476
Definitely not a warranty issue. Hope it was worth it.

Sorry WOR. I've swapped shells a few times on my P3. As you experienced it's a pretty straight forward swap. As you know it seems like it would be a pinched wire somewhere as there really isn't anywhere that a screw would even come close to compromising a wire. Or, it could just be a coincidence.
BTW - I have swapped for a dipped shell a couple times and it has been worth it every time :).
Hope you get it sorted out.
Nice red carbon shell!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers