Troubleshooting a P3P Board Fire

Reaction score
Yesterday, I swapped my Phantom 3 Pro OEM shell with a new OEM one that I had Richard Schade from Liqui-Schades Hydrographics paint for me. He made two from me a Red and Blue, both in carbon fiber mate. After carefully exchanging each part from the original shell to the new red CF shell, and double checking that everything was in its proper place and connections were correct, I inserted a battery and and powered it up to a bright blue flash and fire (see attached photos.

Does anyone know what part of the main board this is? The GPS antenna plus into the 5 pin connector next to the RN220 VTZ IC chip, you can see from the board photo there is no saving the main board so I plan to get a new one, just don’t know if I need to get a new GPS antenna, or anything else at the same time.

I have not made the shell exchange between my other P3P waiting to learn more about what cased this one.

As you can see I have removed the main board, leaving the engines and LEDs behind, I’m an engineer and have been building / flying these things for several years, but I don’t know anything about this board or can find a schematic for it, so by knowing more about what this IC does, I can figure out more about what caused this. When I took everything apart, I carefully, checked to make sure no wires were touching and have since inspected everything else looking for signs of overcurrent and have not found any other melted or burnt parts.

Also, where is the best place to buy parts?

Many thanks for reading...

IMG_0161.jpg IMG_0159.jpg IMG_0160.jpg
IMG_0161.jpg

What is the difference between the two boards, the photos on line nearly look identical? All the motors turn smoothly, could one have caused the ESC to burn up?

Motors turn smoothly by hand. none of the connectors can go on backwards I have tried just to see if that could have done it.

Mostly, but I will pull the receiver back off to see if there is anything there.

Ok, I disassembled everything, all wires, the receiver and imaging system, light-bridge antennas, compass, etc. This wire (attached photo) that connects the receiver/imaging unit and main board, is the only thing that I can find. this is the wire that spans between the shell (bottom) and the plastic frame that is what the four white shocks that connect to the gimbal. The close in photo show that the wire is pressed flat but there sill should be a connection and not grounded to anything. There does appear to be a hold in the middle but that is an artifact of the phono and not a real hole.

Attachments

• IMG_0163.jpg
    IMG_0163.jpg
    1,016.1 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg
    516 KB · Views: 399

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads