Trouble with Hawks

Reaction score
Three times I've been out flying and had my aircraft attacked by hawks. On one occasion, a Red-Tailed Hawk actually struck my drone. I'm pretty sure she regretted doing so; I wish my camera had been turned on. On this occasion, I was better prepared. As is obvious in the segments, I did not charge the bird, nor did I attempt to harm her in any way.

That always stinks. I had one too at one point come after me. Didn't even realize it was there until it was over my drone. I was filming and looking at my drone. Crazy!

Also, buzzards do not like them either.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Yep. Turkey vulchers and hawks. Have had both circle over p3. Has happened 3 times now. Each time I flew down and away. They lost interest and flew away.

Ive been attacked twice. First were small birds. Drone started falling and recovered itself. I didn't know they were after it til I flew back and seen them swarming it. Second was a blue heron turned its course and came after me. I changed elevations to avoid him.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I've had a few encounters with seagulls while flying at the beach. They are extremely aggressive. I flew 18 inches off the ground for about 60 feet through a parking lot back to me and had my son hand catch it and they were still dive bombing him to try to knock it down. They are the Honey Badgers of the sky when it comes to drones.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I haven't had hawks come at my drone yet but seagulls definitely don't like it and yesterday when I was flying in the mountains I had a buzzard circling it super close but I was done with what I wanted to film so I just landed.

Took these while burning wheat stubble .They just appeared from nowhere.
We have a large wedge tail eagle nest on the eastern side of our farm .Each yer I see them raise two chicks .They are a massive bird ,2.5 -3m wing span .
They will and do attack drones so I dont fly in that area ,although they can show up anywhere..They are great to watch and I do like to see them though they are known to attack and kill young lambs .

I will see them and Owl's every year when we bush hog all the food plots . They come in for an easy meal .
Is something to see when they get the field mice .
Those look bigger than the Hawks we have .

Reactions: J Dot
You're making me feel very old!!

Back in the early 1970's I was on holiday in Orkney, a group of islands just N of Scotland, when I strayed into the area where a group of Terns were nesting. They're well known for "dive bombing" any intruders and I have a 35mm slide somewhere that shows the Tern, wings outstretched, almost filling the field of view. I guess it'd only be about 4 foot away from me!!.

Turkey buzzards are bad around here. Every time I fly too near them about 20 or 30 start circling my drone! They are nosy and aggressive.

Reactions: Nickster
IMG_0130 (1).PNG
Here is a video of one of them .Hard to do it justice with a phone .The photo is not mine but they do have that "done mess with me" look

Took these while burning wheat stubble .They just appeared from nowhere.
We have a large wedge tail eagle nest on the eastern side of our farm .Each yer I see them raise two chicks .They are a massive bird ,2.5 -3m wing span .
They will and do attack drones so I dont fly in that area ,although they can show up anywhere..They are great to watch and I do like to see them though they are known to attack and kill young lambs .

Showing this is going to make me on high alert when videoing and taking pictures with my P3S at the in-laws this fall when I go up during harvest.

Reactions: joebar.rc

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie