Trouble installing propellers

Reaction score
Three of the four propellers install easily just like in all the DJI tutorial videos. Just put them on top and spin it. The fourth one it does half a spin and then I have to apply some force (not a lot) to get it to spin enough times for it to seat properly like the other ones. Anyone else have this issue?

You occasionally find one like that.
I've been using my current props for three months and have one like that.
It screws on properly but has a little resistance - but over a hundred flights with no issues.

Three of the four propellers install easily just like in all the DJI tutorial videos. Just put them on top and spin it. The fourth one it does half a spin and then I have to apply some force (not a lot) to get it to spin enough times for it to seat properly like the other ones. Anyone else have this issue?
Just on some that I put on the wrong shafts when I first got mine. After I figured it out, used those on the right shafts and had to hand tighten every one of them-- flew a few flights with these until I got my new props-- that was back when the P3 was first released and props were scarce, Threads are damaged -- if this is the case--replace this one prop it is my suggestion.

Appreciate the responses guys, but I meant the actual thread over the rear right motor has the issue. I've tried 4 different black propellers and all of them have a hard time getting on. Tried the same four black props on the front left black thread and all went on with that smooth hand spin.

Appreciate the responses guys, but I meant the actual thread over the rear right motor has the issue. I've tried 4 different black propellers and all of them have a hard time getting on. Tried the same four black props on the front left black thread and all went on with that smooth hand spin.
That is a different issue-- you might try a die the same size and chase the thread and to clean it up. There may be one slightly out of pitch. be sure to place a piece of paper over the top of the motor vents on the hub to keep and metal cut off by the die from falling in the motor.

Bob, thanks for the idea. Any idea where I could get that die?
Take it to a bolt and nut shop that handles metric stuff and find a nut that will fit that thread -- or find a metric bolt that will thread into the propeller -- then get a die that will cut that thread in the correct rotation cw or ccw. We have Qualilty fasterners here in San Antonio and they carry everything... Have to get a supplier that supplies machine shops. You may be able to call some local machine shops and they will be able to steer you to a supplier.

Take it to a bolt and nut shop that handles metric stuff and find a nut that will fit that thread -- or find a metric bolt that will thread into the propeller -- then get a die that will cut that thread in the correct rotation cw or ccw. We have Qualilty fasterners here in San Antonio and they carry everything... Have to get a supplier that supplies machine shops. You may be able to call some local machine shops and they will be able to steer you to a supplier.

He mentioned they are the "black" props. Sounds like left hand threads. That makes the quest even harder. And metric, too...

He mentioned they are the "black" props. Sounds like left hand threads. That makes the quest even harder. And metric, too...
just get a left die-- they are out there-- but you have to look-- and probably more expensive. Be nice if some machine shop would loan it to him:):)

It may be easier to buy one more set of props.

My black props spin all the way on with a flick of the finger while the silver props go about half way then have to be tightened by hand.

You can try a propeller nut from a local hobby shop or order online. See if tightening onto the shaft fixes the problem. Make sure you get the right orientation: CCW or CW and of course the right size. Take your Phantom with you.

My black props spin all the way on with a flick of the finger while the silver props go about half way then have to be tightened by hand.
Have the opposite symptom. My silver props go on easy, while the black props go on more snug, won't spin on freely. It's definitely the shaft threads being slightly out of true because I've tried all of my brand new spare black props (3 of them) and they ALL exhibit this anomaly. Chinese quality, but hey, it works, and my original props are going on strong, the threads haven't shown any symptoms of wearing out after 108 flights, which means I've installed them about 40-50 times.

Just get some strips of Emory Cloth, find the problem on the prop and use 400 to 600 grit to take it off. Get the heavy duty strips, then you can fold them if needed to take just a bit off until it turns smooth. Much cheaper then trying to find a die for it.

The flaw
Just get some strips of Emory Cloth, find the problem on the prop and use 400 to 600 grit to take it off. Get the heavy duty strips, then you can fold them if needed to take just a bit off until it turns smooth. Much cheaper then trying to find a die for it.
The flaw on my phantom is in the motor armature threads, not the props. Is so slight that I'm not worried about it, works fine.

The flaw

The flaw on my phantom is in the motor armature threads, not the props. Is so slight that I'm not worried about it, works fine.
Hmmm... Yea I meant use the emery on the motor :) it was late. It's a simple thread fix for any threaded motor.
Another idea just ran through, has anyone tried graphite on the threads?

Have you looked at the threads carefully? With some magnification? You might find a nick or divot that can easily be fixed with small triangular file. Might be easier than finding a left handed metric thread die. As mentioned, cover the armature openings with plastic or tape or whatnot. Metal filings in the motor aren't going to be of much help.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4