tried to save $50 drone and crashed.. help please

Reaction score
well dumb [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] me hooked up the p3a to a 6 foot rope and a hook and got some cool video of myself crashing in a tree after saving the 627stunt drone,
(video still uploading)
anyway the only apparent damage was a broken leg and a dented sonar on the bottom of the unit (no case cracks or such. ) oh yes 2 props.
well after survering the damage and popping the battery in that came out the unit would and does not link to the transmitter. i just get please attach drone and no comumunication to the rc . all lights seem to blink as they should and my more experienced drone friend suggested i update firmware , well i have been trying that and all i get is the long dreaded screech at the end of it and a fail in the log files. i am trying to decipher what the device missing means in the hidden log and hoped all you guys could help. wondering if my sonar/vision board is bad (i took it out and it looks good as does the ofdm board) but not sure what to do now. i was hoping to get it back in the air without sending it out as i am a experienced pc tech and this is no more troublesome than a macbook pro or hp as that goes. also i forgot to mention one of the ribbons came out of the camera gymbal and i pushed it back in. on power up the gymbal does it dances and seems to hold position when moving the quad. so i will attach all the log files from the 3 diff. fw. that are on dji site but other than that i cant find any diagnostic tools or anything.. also i have tried to rebind by holding the button and putting tablet in rc bind to no avail (red light on vision puck just blinks)
any help appreciated guys,, non powerball winner in cold vermont

Attachments

• P3S_FW_RESULT_AB.txt
    4.3 KB · Views: 321
  • P3S_FW_.txt
    73.5 KB · Views: 262
  • P3S_FW_RESULT_AB.txt
    4.3 KB · Views: 366
  • P3S_FW_LOG_AB.txt
    67.7 KB · Views: 374
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rene van der meer
Yup, private video. You have to adjust the settings on YT.

well dumb [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] me hooked up the p3a to a 6 foot rope and a hook and got some cool video of myself crashing in a tree after saving the 627stunt drone, ...
Tony,
I am sorry for your loss, but this seemed an accident waiting to occur.
Couldn't you shake the tree or do something else less dangerous?
My stomach protested just watching the video. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to predict the outcome of your rescue mission.
I would contact DJI and hope they can repair the bird.

Last edited:
Reactions: snowghost
agreed guys, i didnt think of the outcome but wanted to have a cool save, i tried to start my chainsaw first but it wouldnt fire (i have wasted more time now trying to figure out what i did to the p3a i could have cut the tree down with a swiss arm knive)
thanks for any help going to send the logs to healthy drones as per luvmytj
thanks

Tony, I think you paid this valuable lesson a great cost. Good of you to share it with us, so we can also learn from it.
We all have had our mistakes. Sharing is very brave and maybe it helps you to get over it.
Contact DJI and see what they can do for you.
Suc6!

agreed guys, i didnt think of the outcome but wanted to have a cool save, i tried to start my chainsaw first but it wouldnt fire (i have wasted more time now trying to figure out what i did to the p3a i could have cut the tree down with a swiss arm knive)
thanks for any help going to send the logs to healthy drones as per luvmytj
thanks
If you need repair and DJI wants a fee, I suggest you contact Hani at UAV Repair. He has a reputation.

board.jpg
I know i was really hoping for some awesome footage..
anyway i figured out the issue i think- looks like the my log shows
[00441849][15 00][00] device not detected.
which after exhaustive research i found a post that some one tells what all these parts are
that part is the tx board just above the vison board. anyhow after looking the board over i can see a missing smb cap that is missing. seems that the screw head from the vison board is just below this and during the crash the screw head tore it off. if anyone can tell the color of there chip i could just resolder the proper cap back and be back in good shape, otherwise i am stuck paying for a new ofdm board from ebay for about 150 bucks unless you guys have any spare parts out there.. if you look at the pic you can see where the surface mount is and tell me what that is i can oirder one on the cheap.
also i must say that the support on the product is terrible and it seems that they just want you to send the unit back and make some serious dollars. think i might open a shop locally to fix these things as it seems like a crock for what they are charging for parts and such- i had this bird opened in minuites and find that now with all the firmware and log exp. i can prob trouble shoot errors pretty quick . i wish only for a schematic
ok fellas let me know if you have any spare parts!

Reactions: Mister
well found the resistor, it was floating around on my worktable, not solderable as it looks like it ripped the trace of the board, hoping one of you dudes have a odfm board for me !

well found the resistor, it was floating around on my worktable, not solderable as it looks like it ripped the trace of the board, hoping one of you dudes have a odfm board for me !
Can you measure its value?
If this is the only defect of the board, it could still be repaired. Even if a solder pad or a part is missing you could try to solder it to the remaining track by carefully removing the solder mask or to connect it to another component. You will probably need a magnifying glass.
I do, because SMD components become smaller and smaller and my eyes are not as young anymore (50 years).;)

My stomach is hurting after laughing so hard when watching the video. Sorry op. ****. At least your saved the other drone. Yikes!!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Haha, what a good idea. Atleast it should have been. [emoji53] Next time better use your swiss knife. The choice of the music is epic. Thank you for sharing. Hope you get your bird fixed. I now you will.

View attachment 41417 I know i was really hoping for some awesome footage..
anyway i figured out the issue i think- looks like the my log shows
[00441849][15 00][00] device not detected.
which after exhaustive research i found a post that some one tells what all these parts are
that part is the tx board just above the vison board. anyhow after looking the board over i can see a missing smb cap that is missing. seems that the screw head from the vison board is just below this and during the crash the screw head tore it off. if anyone can tell the color of there chip i could just resolder the proper cap back and be back in good shape, otherwise i am stuck paying for a new ofdm board from ebay for about 150 bucks unless you guys have any spare parts out there.. if you look at the pic you can see where the surface mount is and tell me what that is i can oirder one on the cheap.
also i must say that the support on the product is terrible and it seems that they just want you to send the unit back and make some serious dollars. think i might open a shop locally to fix these things as it seems like a crock for what they are charging for parts and such- i had this bird opened in minuites and find that now with all the firmware and log exp. i can prob trouble shoot errors pretty quick . i wish only for a schematic
ok fellas let me know if you have any spare parts!
Too bad your effort turned out badly. I always dislike seeing or hearing about fellows damaging their Phantoms because they aren't cheap to repair -- and sometimes are beyond repair.

Because I'm a comparative tech dummy, whenever I read about someone who is tech savvy having such problems as yours it emphasizes my feeling of relative helplessness. Being able to diagnose tech problems and knowing how to approach fixing them is second to having unlimited disposable income when it comes to taking chances with the control sticks.

If one doesn't know how to fix a broken quad, and/or can't afford to replace a lost or crippled one, one tends to be almost overly cautious. So it seems rather obvious that if you were not technically competent something like that rope trick would never have occurred to you.

Last edited:
Too bad your effort turned out badly. I always dislike seeing or hearing about fellows damaging their Phantoms because they aren't cheap to repair -- and sometimes are beyond repair.

Because I'm a comparative tech dummy, whenever I read about someone who is tech savvy having such problems as yours it emphasizes my feeling of relative helplessness. Being able to diagnose tech problems and knowing how to approach fixing them is second to having unlimited disposable income when it comes to taking chances with the control sticks.

If one doesn't know how to fix a broken quad, and/or can't afford to replace a lost or crippled one, one tends to be almost overly cautious. So it seems rather obvious that if you were not technically competent something like that rope trick would never have occurred to you.
I am technical competent, but I am very cautious with my phantom anyway. ;)
A crash from several feet or into water can damage the AC beyond repair.:mad:

i have plenty
let me know if you still need one

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj