Tree / Height Android App

Reaction score
Hello
Can anyone recommend an android app that measuring app that is accurate please?

Cheers

The problem is the required hardware needed to do the measuring which most androids don't have. Best they could do is calculate distance between two GPS coordinates but that can be several feet off.

I just thought there might be an app that calculates the height of things like trees or buildings so when I'm flying with Litchi I can factor these heights in when planning a waypoint mission etc

I just thought there might be an app that calculates the height of things like trees or buildings so when I'm flying with Litchi I can factor these heights in when planning a waypoint mission etc
I been using one called GeoAreaMap good for distance but yeah like tj said use cam to check height,,,,,be good if trees were same height,,ha :)

Google Earth or UgCS. I use Google Earth to plan my waypoint missions then I can look at it horizontally to make sure I am clearing everything in my flight path. Then I import it to Litchi and off we go. Keep in mind that Google Earth is using images that can be very outdated. I noticed that in my area, they are only a couple months old, but in other areas I have seen stuff older than a year. After I import into Litchi, I always add a buffer zone to be sure I am going to clear everything. The best thing about Google Earth is you can fly relative to ground elevation as opposed to your take off point.

There are several. They use the camera, some overlay a scale on the image directly.

In all cases you need to know the horizontal distance to the tree. The easiest way to do this is with Google Maps or some other GPS program that allows you to set a location, then tell heading and distance to that location. There are many that do this (including Google Maps).

For the purposes of flying a drone, they're plenty accurate enough -- the error in the barometric altimeter is greater than the calculations from these various apps.

Here's one that I use: Smart Measure

I know this is reviving a very long dead thread but I have found the "Arboreal" app most useful for this. You do need to be able to get 4-7 feet from the tree you are measuring for the AR sensor to "recognize" the tree as the object you're measuring then you move away from the tree until you can see the top through the phone camera. Click to tag the base of the tree, then again to tag the top of the tree and it tells you how tall it is.

Reactions: MTO

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub