Tree Crash (own fault!)

Reaction score
Hello,

Not really a happy post for me to be starting with, but here goes!

I had my P4 on Active Track mode, and I was showing the other half how it worked. I let her hold the controls while I ran around like a mad man letting the drone follow me. Sadly, during this time the drone couldn't keep up with me, and drifted towards some tree branches. I informed her (loudly) that it was too close to the tree and to cancel but by the time I could explain/run back over, it hit the tree, flipped upside down, and came hurtling towards the ground. It was probably around 10m high.

There was no one around, so it's done no damage to anything but itself. All 4 props snapped (which is fine, I have spare) but a fairly large amount of mud went into one of the motors (I think that's what it's called, the thing the props connect to!) - I've cleaned as much of it as I can see, and I removed the LED cover, cleaned in there, removed the three screws, took the motor out and cleaned as much as I could.

I've tested it since and it seems ok - but from your experiences, do I need to be worried? Do you think I need to invest in a new motor just in case, or is a bit of mud ok?

Many thanks

Reactions: rene van der meer
Merlin, if it was mine and it sounded OK under power, and I had cleaned all I could see, I would try it. Might keep it low and local for first few flights but I definitely would not send it to DJI. I believe the motors are fairly tight and it should be difficult to get much contamination in there to mess up things but water would probably penetrate it. If it is just mud, I'd fly it like I mentioned.
Keep us informed how it goes.
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

I read so many times that people get mud, sand, etc in the motors and as it is brushless it can be rinsed off under the tap without taking it apart (just the motor not the whole bird)

Beat thing to do.... Just let it hover for a few mins, input the controls to go in any direction. Even if you do it for the whole of the battery till it runs out, you will then get peace of mind that it all works. I would say your good to fly. [emoji4]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.