TRAVELLING WITH MY PHANTOM

It has been awhile since I've flown, but when I did, there was a size limit that you could carry on.mmeither to fit in the overhead bin or under the seat. I don't know the size limit on items that you carry in your lap. With the soft case, that you have, I would not check it in. Airlines are not gentle with checked baggage.

I haven't flown since getting my Phantoms, but if I did, I would use my metal case which came with pre-cut foam, for $99 on Amazon. Absolutely follow what has already been said, carry on the batteries. I would probably remove and carry my Hero camera on-board, too. Especially if it was to be my land camera when not flying.

Also, remember that if you do have a Hero, either carry it or remove the battery. The checked luggage rides at much lower temperatures and much less than cabin pressure. I hate to check any electronic items.

I'm being overly cautious here. Your Phantom and Hero camera were designed for higher altitudes. You could put your Hero in its underwater case, but if checked, technically the battery should be carried on.

However, my air traveling was many moons ago, so rules may have changed. But,if you check it, buy a hard case. Then, you can put it in the soft case at the motel.mmcheck the airline's carry on size limitations. You certainly don't want to be pushing hard to make it fit! Good travels and I hope you get great video.

I actually use the Microraptor hard case more often. I don't have to take the props off. That being said I am very happy with the backpack and am happy with both.

Lucan said:
I actually use the Microraptor hard case more often. I don't have to take the props off. That being said I am very happy with the backpack and am happy with both.

My hard case also allows for the props to remain on. I don't have a soft case. Is there one that is made for the Phantom?

PhantomFanatic said:
Lucan said:

My hard case also allows for the props to remain on. I don't have a soft case. Is there one that is made for the Phantom?

I think with soft case he meant back pack

Vanguard Up Rise II 48 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008OHO1RY) worked perfectly for me on my recent trip to south east Asia. Drone travelled with me as hand luggage of course as that backpack is not a hard case.
Batteries were stored inside the backpack.
I did come up with some extra protection for gimbal/camera made of foam and cut to measure.

All the best,

Flew return from Canada to Dominican Republic last month with Phantom 2 / H3-3D Gimbal / GoPro Hero 4. Knew I wanted a hard case for this and future travels, and decided on the X2 hard case from Tradecraft Cases in US. They also have other custom cases for other Phantom setups.

Kept the batteries in my carry-on. Be sure to use a thick sock or other suitable padding if you travel with the H3-3D gimbal floating open in the case. If you do travel with GoPro attached to gimbal, this is perfect: http://www.raveaerialvideo.com/product/ ... l-bracket/

It's a really durable case, you get what you pay for. I needed to make a couple of minor adjustments to fit transmitter antennas, etc. and the minor cuts into the customized foam were very easy and accurate. The case is made for travelling, as it comes with an expandable handle to pull it along on its 2 wheels. The handle was great to use when sliding a smaller carry-on over it while running through the airports. When searching for a case, I read the forums, Googled a few and for my needs and budget decided on the X2.

Off the beach, etc., also makes for a great launch pad for your Phantom/GoPro.

- John

Eltrochaphantom said:
Fplvert said:
:D
I think he means checked in the baggage which I would not recommend. I use a goprofessionalcases backpack which meets carry on size limits for most airlines. It measures 8.5" x 16" x 21". You'll have to check your airline to make sure. The backpack fits in overhead compartment of small commuter prop jobs here in the US, anyways. You might like the new small backpack from DJI which is even smaller as it has limited padding.

Lipos are not allowed in checked luggage unless they are installed in the device.

The back pack is comfortable and no t too big?

This one right:

I purchased one just like that and fits everything nicely. Had to remove prop protectors and FPV setup but everything tucked away inside quite well with plenty of pack space and pockets for other things.

drone_pack.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20