TRAVELLING WITH MY PHANTOM

Reaction score
Right, im travelling from the US to my home country. i have a couple of things to discuss:

-Hard case or back pack? (btw all the cases i have looked at are too big for the carry on sizes which leads me to next question)

- Carry on or checked.

-i ve heard that most airlines dont even look at the size of the carry on and you will be fine? that true?

-What about batteries do i need to discharge them?

-Any other tips?

Thank you
Cheers

Quick answer

Hold luggage for the Phantom and accessories.

Carry on for the Lipo batteries, make sure the connectors are securely taped up to prevent any chance of short.

I will be travelling with my Phantom to the U.S and the caribbean In a couple of weeks and I will use this as my carry on:
IMG_3464_zps2516a9eb.jpg

ExtraKim said:
I will be travelling with my Phantom to the U.S and the caribbean In a couple of weeks and I will use this as my carry on:
IMG_3464_zps2516a9eb.jpg

I was looking into that one but I thought s hard case would be better. Any other people?

:D
I think he means checked in the baggage which I would not recommend. I use a goprofessionalcases backpack which meets carry on size limits for most airlines. It measures 8.5" x 16" x 21". You'll have to check your airline to make sure. The backpack fits in overhead compartment of small commuter prop jobs here in the US, anyways. You might like the new small backpack from DJI which is even smaller as it has limited padding.

Lipos are not allowed in checked luggage unless they are installed in the device.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 805
I am planning a similar trip and using the exact same backpack. I believe airlines are ok wth this as carry on. All batteries must be carry on. In my case I am going on a cruise. I got written permission to take it from cruise line, but they will check the phantom for me while cruising(they do not want me flying it while cruising or in port) and will give it to me at each port of call.

Fplvert said:
:D
I think he means checked in the baggage which I would not recommend. I use a goprofessionalcases backpack which meets carry on size limits for most airlines. It measures 8.5" x 16" x 21". You'll have to check your airline to make sure. The backpack fits in overhead compartment of small commuter prop jobs here in the US, anyways. You might like the new small backpack from DJI which is even smaller as it has limited padding.

Lipos are not allowed in checked luggage unless they are installed in the device.

The back pack is comfortable and no t too big?

This one right:

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420992328.887442.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420992328.887442.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 788
Eltrochaphantom said:
Hold luggage?

Sorry im British, the luggage you check in, we call it Hold luggage as it goes in the hold of the plane. ;)

crash1sttime said:
Eltrochaphantom said:
Hold luggage?

Sorry im British, the luggage you check in, we call it Hold luggage as it goes in the hold of the plane. ;)

So u would check it in but with which bag or backpack

It was only from what i read on here somewhere, use a hard case for the phantom as luggage stored in the planes hold can get thrown about, the problem with hand luggage is that it only takes some one to mishandle their hand luggage and jam it in next to yours and it could theoretically damage the quad.

Personally i am planning on putting my soft backpack in to a hard suitcase and wrapping it with towels for extra security.

I think most of us who have taken our Phantom's on airplanes have used a case or bag that can be carried on and put in an overhead locker, rather than putting the Phantom in checked luggage that goes in the hold. Not only does this satisfy those airlines that won't let you put LIPO batteries into the hold unless they are inside the Phantom (so you can only take one that way) but it's also much easier to protect your Phantom from damage or theft.

A back-pack type of bag like this one - http://www.quadcopters.co.uk/dji-phanto ... 1356-p.asp - has another big advantage over a heavy case - you can comfortably wear it like a back pack for long periods. That makes it much easier to visit suitable flying sites. This sort of back pack has room for 3 batteries and quite a lot of accessories such as spare props, 7" tablet or Mini iPad, sunglasses, tools etc (though be careful with tools - sharp ones like screwdrivers may not be allowed).

These backpacks are quite well padded and provided you keep an eye on the overhead locker to make sure no-one jams something in after you've stowed yours there's very little chance of damage. I'd never trust mine to the hold (having seen the way hold baggage is tossed about before it gets on the plane and after it's taken off).

zenoshrdlu said:
I think most of us who have taken our Phantom's on airplanes have used a case or bag that can be carried on and put in an overhead locker, rather than putting the Phantom in checked luggage that goes in the hold. Not only does this satisfy those airlines that won't let you put LIPO batteries into the hold unless they are inside the Phantom (so you can only take one that way) but it's also much easier to protect your Phantom from damage or theft.

A back-pack type of bag like this one - http://www.quadcopters.co.uk/dji-phanto ... 1356-p.asp - has another big advantage over a heavy case - you can comfortably wear it like a back pack for long periods. That makes it much easier to visit suitable flying sites. This sort of back pack has room for 3 batteries and quite a lot of accessories such as spare props, 7" tablet or Mini iPad, sunglasses, tools etc (though be careful with tools - sharp ones like screwdrivers may not be allowed).

I was thinking in that one but then I found this one. It is a little bit more expensive but Idc. Now this is the same as a case that has wheels and a handle to carry

Both in pictures down below

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420994596.694603.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420994596.694603.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 628
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420994623.244573.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420994623.244573.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 718
That size case (which will take a Phantom with props on) will not be allowed as carry-on luggage on any of the European cheap arilines (EasyJet, RynaAir, FlyBe etc).

I will be travelling on AA. According to AA this won't fit but for example there are many youtube people who take this exact same case and there is no problem. This One is 24 x 10 x 16 inches. It is way over its limits which are 22 x 14 x 9 inches

There is another one (picture below) which is 21 x 17 x 9 which will pass the wide limit by 3 inches do u think that is a Problem?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420995165.445605.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420995165.445605.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 663
I have both the Microraptor case and Gpc sandstone backpack. The hard case is fantastic as is the backpack. You have to adjust the device holder arm on the tx when switching between the two. The back pack is certainly more suitable for hiking or accessing places where you will be doing a bit of walking to get to your launch spot. Also it has so much room and extra storage you could even pack a lunch, extra clothes, etc in addition to everything needed for your phantom. Also a bit less high profile than the case.( I have the OSHA yellow case).
I am glad I have both of these very high quality transport/storage options.

Lucan said:
I have both the Microraptor case and Gpc sandstone backpack. The hard case is fantastic as is the backpack. You have to adjust the device holder arm on the tx when switching between the two. The back pack is certainly more suitable for hiking or accessing places where you will be doing a bit of walking to get to your launch spot. Also it has so much room and extra storage you could even pack a lunch, extra clothes, etc in addition to everything needed for your phantom. Also a bit less high profile than the case.( I have the OSHA yellow case).
I am glad I have both of these very high quality transport/storage options.

Which one do u use the most. And if u check them or carry on?

I have decided for the back pack since it is better for portability and I really don't want to be carrying around a heavy case.

Anyway does anyone know if you need to discharge the batteries when travelling?

Some airline demand that you can show that your electronic stuff (laptop, Ipad etc.) works so keep at least 50% of the power in your batteries.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj