Travelling with a P3

Reaction score
Hey everyone, title is pretty self-explanatory. Travelling "down undah" in a couple of weeks and seriously contemplating on bringing my P3 on the long haul to get some sweet aerial shots. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations/advice for travel from previous experience and/or if it is even worth it to travel with a drone of this size on vacation (I'm travelling pretty light - no checked baggage).

Thanks and I look forward to your responses!

Check the airline restrictions for drones/ Lipo batteries

Lipo batteries should be carried as carry on luggage

Better pack each battery in a safe Lipo safe bag.

Keep batteries partially charged, say to 50% level

Check the custom's rules

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I guess it all depends on light you travel. I have taken my P3A + accessories on hand luggage only trips, you'll have to make a few sacrifices but so worth it for the footage.

Assuming you do bring P3 and, as others have advised, follow airline rules, particularly batteries in hand luggage, question is where are you going? Knowing this we may be able to offer local advice, eg in Oz different states have different rules regarding flying in parks etc. Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I hump my P3 and P4 to Singapore and to the Phillipines quite a lot with no issues for carry on luggage, just make sure you have a reasonable dedicated backpack, pack the batteries correctly, as you still have to shove it through a bunch of screening machines that vary in (ahem) technique. As Loz said you'll need to check on the various legislation in place dependent on where you are travelling. Forget most of the inner Sydney, Melbourne and other capital cities. There are rules on the CASA website to check out but I suspect it is no where near as overwhelming as to what I read about the US on this site. Finally your airline will be able to advise as to what is permissible to carry onboard, I carry a copy of their advice and a copy of the drone specs with me in case they ask.

I'm headed to Maui Hawaii, flying out of San Francisco....I have the manfrotto D1 backpack for my P3P and was planning to carry my photography stuff in there as well (gopro's, DSLR). Anyone have any issues with TSA in SFO and/or Maui? If I decide to bring it this would be my first time travelling with it so a little nervous. Would hate to bring it with me all the way to the security line in either airport and told I can't bring it....then I'd be sooo screwed.

Check the airline restrictions for drones/ Lipo batteries

Lipo batteries should be carried as carry on luggage

Better pack each battery in a safe Lipo safe bag.

Keep batteries partially charged, say to 50% level

Check the custom's rules

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
What is a Lipo safe bag? Never heard of that before.

No checked baggage? You'll have space for some underwear and socks, and maybe a tee shirt or two if you're taking a P3. This is why I bought a Mavic..
Going to be rocking a carry on suitcase and my drone backpack as my "personal item". Gf works for Air Canada so we're pretty fortunate to have gate agents look the other way when we're boarding with our cabin luggage.

Assuming you do bring P3 and, as others have advised, follow airline rules, particularly batteries in hand luggage, question is where are you going? Knowing this we may be able to offer local advice, eg in Oz different states have different rules regarding flying in parks etc. Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
I'm actually traveling to your neck of the woods. Flying from Canada to Australia and then some domestic flying in Australia as well as a trip to Bali and back.

Anything I should know for particular Australian states?

What is a Lipo safe bag? Never heard of that before.
They are a purpose built small bag for carrying your batteries safely to prevent any possible shorting of the battery terminals. Available at all good drone suppliers or your friend Google. Personally, I tape over the terminals on the spare battery which lives in a dedicated slot in my my backpack. The other stays in the drone.

Going to be rocking a carry on suitcase and my drone backpack as my "personal item". Gf works for Air Canada so we're pretty fortunate to have gate agents look the other way when we're boarding with our cabin luggage.

I'm actually traveling to your neck of the woods. Flying from Canada to Australia and then some domestic flying in Australia as well as a trip to Bali and back.

Anything I should know for particular Australian states?
Depends entirely on which state as there are variations to restricted areas, national parks etc. When you arrive, have a look at the CASA website for information on drones. The usual don't fly over people, minimum of 30 mtrs from people, maximum ceiling heights and so on apply.

Reactions: Loz
I would advise you in carrying (if you have one) a receipt for the drone and the equipment.
Aussie customs are great, but they may want to see that it's your drone and not for sale once you enter the Country.

Reactions: Loz

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4