travelling case/backpack

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a P2, Futaba 14SG, GoPro4, H3-3D gimbal and want to take the machine on vaca with me.
Am looking for two pieces of advice:
1. A great backpack to put it all in (thats sturdy but doesn't weigh a ton (And will fit in an overhead bin)
2. A case that can be checked as opposed to taken on board an aircraft.

I guess as a final question, has anyone had any grief from the TSA on carrying a drone on board an aircraft?

s.

I have a DSLRpros tough case but it is big. Could be over head and easily opens to display everything. Everything is cut to fit the P2 with props and gimbal attached. The Futaba may require some trimming to fit in the slot if you go that route.

Curious to what others suggest/experienced.

tgreenstone said:
I have a DSLRpros tough case but it is big. Could be over head and easily opens to display everything. Everything is cut to fit the P2 with props and gimbal attached. The Futaba may require some trimming to fit in the slot if you go that route.

Curious to what others suggest/experienced.

Basically the same as you... hard case

I never check mine - Just don't trust the way luggage is thrown around - and you can't check lipo's anyway (need to carry those on)

That said - if you are really set on slinging it over your shoulder - I have seen a lot of people here who prefer backpacks. I personally like the added protection of the case and it makes it really easy to show at security.

I have this one and it´s great.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181524163082?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

The shoulder straps might be a little short if you are a big guy, I´m not (176 cm / 80kg) and have no problem even with a winter jacket on.
I will be taking this bag with me when we cruise to the caribbean in jan - feb. Flights: Kalmar (Sweden) -> Stockholm (Sweden) -> Newark -> Fort Lauderdale. Cruise: Aruba, Boniare, Grenada, Barbados, St Lucia, Antigua, back to Fort Lauderdale and then, Br virgin Islands, St Kitts, Dominica, Antigua and St Maarten.
Flights: Fort Lauderdale -> Newark -> München -> Stockholm -> Kalmar.
I´m sure that it will turn out just fine.

Those square "back packs" seem to be the most common but I find they look awkward especially if I'm travelling around with by bus/train. It's basically a travel luggage with shoulder straps. A proper back pack looks more natural but there is not much to choose from.

Here's what I ordered a few days ago.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-New ... 77732.html

It's an SLR back pack but fits the phantom just fine. If you like it, dont order the one I posted, search for coress C8011 and you can get it for about 30usd cheaper. I guess if it's sold as phantom back pack they can raise the price :) I can do a quick review of it once i get it.

Another back pack i found is this one but I thought it was a bit pricey at $140usd but it looks quite nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvlggWT7w78

I have the eBay backpack for $59. I've been happily using it for a few months hiking around locally and it's good for transporting around in my car on the way to fly

Vanguard Excenior 62. It is bulky, but it fits everything I have and is very protective.
I can even fit the Phantom with props installed, just in a different configuration.

cEDDjBGl.jpg

TomasBKK said:
Those square "back packs" seem to be the most common but I find they look awkward especially if I'm travelling around with by bus/train. It's basically a travel luggage with shoulder straps. A proper back pack looks more natural but there is not much to choose from.

Here's what I ordered a few days ago.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-New ... 77732.html

It's an SLR back pack but fits the phantom just fine. If you like it, dont order the one I posted, search for coress C8011 and you can get it for about 30usd cheaper. I guess if it's sold as phantom back pack they can raise the price :) I can do a quick review of it once i get it.

Another back pack i found is this one but I thought it was a bit pricey at $140usd but it looks quite nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvlggWT7w78
Thanks for info. I agree the square backpacks are probably better for protection and fit, but I'm willing to sacrifice some of that for a more practical look.

Let us know how you like it, need one for Hawaii trip in January

Is it legal to take it up in then plane as hans luggage? Even with the Lipo in the case??

Holrits said:
Is it legal to take it up in then plane as hans luggage? Even with the Lipo in the case??
You aren't supposed to put lipo batteries in checked luggage but you can with carry on. People are traveling all the time with these. You should be able to see any specific rules on the airline website you are flying with.

Looks like a camping/hiking backpack no where big enough to fit the Phantom haha. Could just be for looks

Holrits said:
I'm on the plane right now with my bird right under my seat in a simple rubber maid box with padding

I'm probably not the first, but I found the P2 fits perfectly in a milk crate. Props off of course, but it has very little room to slide around in there. I then put a 1x1 vinyl tile on TOP of the p2 and stack more stuff (like RC and such) on top of that little shelf it makes. Built in handles too :)

I'd love a backpack though. I'm still looking around.

Thanks for the link David. Definitely let us know.

I see it also has room for "4 Spare Motors". Somehow I think if I blow a motor I'm not fixing it in the field ;-)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik