Travelling abroad

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have just joined the forum and have read through a few posts but just looking for good clarification really. I hope to go to south USA from Britain next October for a holiday and would love to take my Phantom 3 advanced with me. I am looking for advice on regulations or tips on travelling.

Many thanks

Where in south USA? If you are coming to southern Florida it's low and flat and not a lot to look at unless you're out by the beach where there are some inlets, canals, etc. The good news is you can get some good distance over some low swamps, etc. There are some great sights down in the Florida Keys. Of course, all the major amusement parks are pretty much off limits; Disney is a no fly zone--they've even banned selfie sticks. :)

There are probably some great places out in the southwest, Gulf Coast, Texas, etc. Let us know a better idea of where you are staying. You may want to better define where you are heading as somebody may be able to give you some better ideas...

Airport security here isn't too bad You cannot put the Phantom batteries in your checked luggage--you have to take them as carry on. I've found the airlines are pretty familiar with the Phantoms now. The baggage guys at Orlando Airport usually ask if I'm a golfer when they see my DJI hard case--I guess most of the pros have one to pre-fly the tournament courses down here.

We're planning on a tour of the south "country" area, Texas, Mississippi, louisiana, arkansas, alabama, tennesee. Places like Houston, Fort Worth, New orleans, Montgomery, nashville, memphis. We fly in to atlanta, then have a couch tour around those areas staying at a different place each day nearly. I was just wondering about what sort of case would be best for flight travel and coach travel. And how to stop it being refused entry into the USA.

Hi everyone, I have just joined the forum and have read through a few posts but just looking for good clarification really. I hope to go to south USA from Britain next October for a holiday and would love to take my Phantom 3 advanced with me. I am looking for advice on regulations or tips on travelling.

Many thanks
I took my P3A from London to Athens Greece through Heathrow airport and back through Athens International Airport i carried the bird in my backpack and 2 spare batteries plus the RC its all allowed no issue. Just that they take it out of the bag for a closer inspection and scan with a wipe cloth and stick. Just be in the airport a bit earlier in case they pull it off for these checks. Some security people are more expert than others and dont ask u to take the bird out for further inspection. In any case for the odd ignorant overzealous wannabe detective security guard i asked for an email confirmation letter that i can cary the batteries in my backpack and printed a copy of the CAA regulations on hazardous batteries for the UK. Take your bird with u and enjoy its allowed.

Many thanks

Flew to Toulouse France from UK on BA in July and checked directly with BA first. I placed batteries separately in ziplock bags and marked clearly with a detailed description. These were in separate carry on bag. Quad was in DJI hard shell bag . No questions at security flying either way. You can buy special battery bags on eBay.

Flew to Toulouse France from UK on BA in July and checked directly with BA first. I placed batteries separately in ziplock bags and marked clearly with a detailed description. These were in separate carry on bag. Quad was in DJI hard shell bag . No questions at security flying either way. You can buy special battery bags on eBay.
Caring bags for the bats are optional as long as the bats are stored in separate pockets of the back pack. I had all mine like that on the same backpack at Heathrow.

Reactions: RM photography
Thanks guys, all good info for me. I'm guessing by the general conversations I see on here that a soft case/back pack is best to travel with, I've looked into some hard cases but I'm guessing they take up more weight out of the hand luggage allowance? I'm thinking of getting the dji osmo to take as well as my dslr camera. Would there be a restriction on how many batteries could taken on board? Even if I was to spread them around other family members?

AS written on an earlier post - I was refused to bring my P3P in a DJI hardshell backpack as carry-on - when returning from US thru London Heathrow (T5) - to a Norway - so had to check it in. Security supervisor claimed that this was CAA regulations... Which of course was BS - but caused me to miss my flight...

Thanks guys, all good info for me. I'm guessing by the general conversations I see on here that a soft case/back pack is best to travel with, I've looked into some hard cases but I'm guessing they take up more weight out of the hand luggage allowance? I'm thinking of getting the dji osmo to take as well as my dslr camera. Would there be a restriction on how many batteries could taken on board? Even if I was to spread them around other family members?
I have a big soft backpack i took it in there did not buy anything special just put cloths in the right places for the bird not to move about and secured the gimbal with rubber bands in addition to the lens cover and gimbal holder i have, also i made some motor protectors and covered the exposed ends. I have a different custom made back backpack to carry the drone with the props on when i want to fly but not to travel. Yes there are restrictions on the power and number of LiPo batteries that u can carry. In the EU (incl the UK) its max 2 bats not higher than 100Wh so 2 P3A/P bats at 68Wh each is fine. And allowed only on the carry on bag not chekin luggage. Hard shell backpack is ok too as long as it meets the overhead locker dimetion standards of each airline.

Just took a trip from USA to Israel and had zero problems either way. I have a GPC that is waterproof and equalizes pressure in checked baggage. Traveled fine with zero problems. Just make sure to do a compass calibration on arrival and you should be fine. I did once in Israel and had no problems.

Just took a trip from USA to Israel and had zero problems either way. I have a GPC that is waterproof and equalizes pressure in checked baggage. Traveled fine with zero problems. Just make sure to do a compass calibration on arrival and you should be fine. I did once in Israel and had no problems.
It looks like its just better at the end of the day to chek it in and avoid the hustle of the xray and security check in the carry on section....

AS written on an earlier post - I was refused to bring my P3P in a DJI hardshell backpack as carry-on - when returning from US thru London Heathrow (T5) - to a Norway - so had to check it in. Security supervisor claimed that this was CAA regulations... Which of course was BS - but caused me to miss my flight...
That security guy did not know the first thing about CAA regulations. The regs clearly say that lipo bats have to be carried on board in carry on baggage.

That security guy did not know the first thing about CAA regulations. The regs clearly say that lipo bats have to be carried on board in carry on baggage.

Where can I print out these CAA Regulations? I'll be traveling to London Wednesday evening and still debating whether to bring my P3P... It's gonna be a game time decision haha

Also, I'll be flying to France and Barcelona have you had experience in their airlines as well?
thanks!

Where can I print out these CAA Regulations? I'll be traveling to London Wednesday evening and still debating whether to bring my P3P... It's gonna be a game time decision haha

Also, I'll be flying to France and Barcelona have you had experience in their airlines as well?
thanks!

Travelling with Items that contain Batteries | Before You Fly | Passengers

"Portable electronic devices containing lithium ion batteries exceeding a Watt-hour rating of 100 Wh but not exceeding 160 Wh when carried for personal use."

"Travelling with spare lithium ion batteries for electronic devices "

"Portable electronic devices such as watches, calculating machines, cameras, cellular phones, laptop computers, camcorders when carried for personal use.

Each installed or spare battery must not exceed the following:

lithium metal batteries, a lithium content of not more than 2 grams;

or

lithium ion batteries, a watt-hour rating of not more than 100 Wh."

Reactions: RM photography
Question for the group: I am new to ‘droning’. Heading to Au and NZ and curious as if / how my Mavic will work if I do not have cellular data service. Specifically whether or not the gps will be able to show accurate position on the map view. Is the global map stored in the DJI Go 4 app?? Does it require service to get the map overlays ??

What else should I know before I leave for the trip ??

Any help welcomed.

Thx

Question for the group: I am new to ‘droning’. Heading to Au and NZ and curious as if / how my Mavic will work if I do not have cellular data service. Specifically whether or not the gps will be able to show accurate position on the map view. Is the global map stored in the DJI Go 4 app?? Does it require service to get the map overlays ??
Your drone doesn't need cellular data at all to fly.
Your drone gets GPS location data direct from GPS satellites that orbit the earth - not from cellular data.
If you want mapping (that's not necessary either) you can always cache the maps anywhere you have wifi and they will be available when you fly later.

Reactions: Loz

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1